wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Hugo Koller Fighting Knife
Old 02-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Roy Queen

Default Hugo Koller Fighting Knife

My father has in his possession a Hugo Koller fighting knife that my great uncle brought back as a trophy. It is double edged, and had the name Hugo Koller with an eagle (not imperial, or nazi, just a plain old eagle) with Solingen belown the name. On the reverse is what appears to be an imperial crown over a script letter, the stamping is so light, that I cannot tell what the letter is.

My grandfather had this particular knife and had the wooden grips removed and had an epoxy like grip and had his service pins from working in the coppermines so the collector value is pretty much shot. My question is: how common is a Hugo Koller fighting knife?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Colorado
Association Member

I have a Hugo Koller HJ knife and they use an eagle logo. The crown is imperial. Many knives from imperial times were used in the 3rd Reich. Got a picture?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Old 02-05-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
Brian S
Association Member

What makes you think it's a fighting knife? Is it an elaborate eagle? A tiny little acceptance stamp like those found on lugers?

Brian

Ernst Bartels SCiG, Stuka 29-2 Condor, Spain.
Alfred Fleish, Uff, ROAG.

Hugo Koller Knife
Old 02-05-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
Roy Queen

Default Hugo Koller Knife

Unfortunately, I do not have acess to a digital camera to post, (could not anyway, not being an association member) I am assuming this to be a fighting/boot knife by the way the handle is shaped, and the length of the knife. The knife is about 6 inches long. The handle fits the shape of the fighting/boot knives that I have seen posted on this forum, as well as period photographs. My dad told me it did have wooden handles until my grandfather replaced the grips.

The eagle is not like the wiemar eagle, this one almost favors the US eagle with spread wings. I know that my great uncle, grandfather, and my dad used it as a hunting knife.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
sb98
Association Member

Hi Park Ranger (?)

I came across this thread tonight. If you're still interested, it sounds like this is your knife. I have one marked only with an Imperial inspection mark, and original tan paint on the hilt. These are pretty common as far as WWI fighting knives go. Do you have the scabbard? Without it, and replaced grips I think you're right, it's not worth much. Even with a scabbard with intact leather, the replaced grips bring it out of the collector's market in my opinion, still a fun knife to own though, especially if it has family history.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HugoKnife.jpg (50.7 KB, 525 views)

Old 03-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Roy Queen

Hello Tim,

That is the very knife! Unfortunately, the leather piece is also missing from it as well. The Koller logo is stamped at the bade of the blade rather than along the blade as is pictured in your post. I don't know what happened to the scabbard, I hope that it will turn up, but I think that either my great uncle, or grandfather lost it. Hoping I can pester my dad about putting it in my collection.

Koller Knife Pics
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Roy Queen

Default Koller Knife Pics

I completely forgot about this thread until I posted my recent thread about book information on German blades. Tonight, I visited my parents, and while there, I took some photographs of this particular fighting knife.

The great uncle who brought this knife back served in the 163rd Combat Engineer Battalion. I've given serious thought to looking for reproduction grips for this knife, and look for a scabbard.

Enjoy the pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0013.JPG (59.0 KB, 401 views)

Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Roy Queen

Here is a picture of the Koller logo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0015.JPG (59.5 KB, 396 views)

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Roy Queen

Here is another stamp on the reverse side of the blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0016.JPG (60.8 KB, 417 views)

Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
sb98
Association Member

Hey Roy,

That knife is pretty cool the way it is, if it were mine I'd leave it the way it is. If you replace the grips you'll just have an average blade with repro grips. Personally I'd just buy a nice one if you want one that's in original condition. They're on ebay all the time. An old scabbard would be nice though and the vast majority are interchangeable as far as size goes. As it is now it has family history and it's unique.

Here's one you might like to see, it's sort of similar to your's. It's a WWII era "knight's head" brand that a GI modified. He made a new hilt out of aluminum and put some old girly pictures under the plexiglass.

Cheers,
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luciteKnife.jpg (71.7 KB, 414 views)

Old 02-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Roy Queen

Tim,

That is a really nice blade! You brought up a good point about the reproduction grips, it certainly does not return the blade back to it's former glory, and after thinking about it, grandpa's masonic emblem, and 30 year service pin from the copper mines just adds to the knife's history.

The last time that I talked to my great uncle, he told me about deer hunting with a German 98K rifle, and building a bridge across the Rhine River. I need to ask him about how he came across this knife.

It would be interesting to see the different ways that bayonets, and fighting knives were altered by the GIs that liberated them, I'm sure the variations alone would fill a book.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
mkoller

I am looking for more information on Hugo Koller knives... the man, the knives, the factory... any and all information would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Mike Koller

Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Zeller
Association Member

Hi, were these knives common also during WW2?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Richie B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoller View Post
I am looking for more information on Hugo Koller knives... the man, the knives, the factory... any and all information would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Mike Koller
Mike

Some information from Carter's Sword and Knife Makers of Germany.

Hugo Koller Stahlwarenfabrik founded in 1861. Made kitchen knives and hardware, pocket knives, straight razors and scissors.

Combat knives in WW1 (as per the first post in this thread).

Later made HJ knives, dress bayonets and SA daggers.

After WW2, the firm was acquired by Lauterjung & Sohn, Puma-Werk. Continued to make knives and gardening tools.

Still around (at least as a brand name) in 1999.

Not sure about now - couldn't find anything on the net.

If you want to see other examples of their work - just Google away.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Good hunting.

Regards

Richie

BTW - are you related ?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Richie B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R. View Post
Hi, were these knives common also during WW2?
Matt

I don't think they were made except during WW1 but they are solid well made knives so I see no reason why some wouldn't have been carried in WW2.

Regards

Richie