wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Heer Holler 21 Sword Question.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Naval Enigma

Question Heer Holler 21 Sword Question.

I've searched older threads and done as much homework as I can. But I've hit a wall. My question is this...

What different materials were the art deco pantherhead sword made from. I've seen references to gilt over brass, but what about aluminum or other lightweight alloy?

Thank you and I appreciate any help.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
SwordFish

NE- don't hold me to this (although I should know this) but I believe the pattern Nr 21 was only hilted in brass. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to find a later example hilted in aluminum.

Tom

Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Naval Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordFish View Post
NE- don't hold me to this (although I should know this) but I believe the pattern Nr 21 was only hilted in brass. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to find a later example hilted in aluminum.

Tom
Is there a simple non-destructive test to ID between aluminum and brass?

There are earlier swords of brass, I think mine is aluminum, where the gilt is worn the metal is white and the metal isn't cool and heavy like brass. The Holler 21's also seem to be pretty rare. Any idea on values?

Thanks!

P.S: If one were to acquire the "top" swords for each branch, unupgradeable examples, what makers and models do you recommend?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
SwordFish

There you go then. You answered your own question. White/silver base metal= aluminum composite. That puts it to rest..I guess the Nr 21 was produced in aluminum. There are some discriminating test, however they are universally uneccesary and not reccommended because you should be able to ID the hilt material based on weight along. A simple metal punch and a gentle tap against the hilt will also produce different reverberations which would automatically clue you in as to hilt material. If you handle 1 of each over your lifetime, you will automatically be able to identify which is which.

The only exception which I am aware of regarding brass vs. aluminum is the Prinz Eugen..it's an enigma and produced with some sort of zinc alloy.