wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Panzer Camouflage
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Gray

Default Panzer Camouflage

Does anyone know if the panzers where camouflage in the early WWII battles - particularly the Gembloux Gap battles?

Where the Mark III's and IV's that steel gray color or were they painted with a camo pattern?

thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Hagen

In the Gembloux Gap battle of May 1940 Panzers were painted in grey.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Gray

thanks Hagen.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
thanks Hagen.

You're welcome Gray, it wasn't until 1943 that German armor colors changed from factory applied grey to dark yellow with green and brown paints being issued to the troops in the field to apply the camo colors.

You would however find yellow paint schemes on Afrika Korps panzers in 1941-42. Other then that though the only camo paint you would see with grey was a white wash that was used in winter.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
syd04qx

Jentz and others state that panzers involved in Fall Gelb and Fall Rot would most likely have grey and brown camouflage. The brown is very hard to see sometimes, but a number of very good photos from May-June 1940 clearly show a common two tone pattern. A good source for photos is Mark Healy's "Panzerwaffe Vol.2 The Campaigns in the West 1940."

Regards,
Chris Ballance

Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Gray

thanks syd04qx, i might buy that book.

Under the radar
Old 07-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
syd04qx

Default Under the radar

Mark Healy's book is the second in what was once going to be long series of books on the Panzerwaffe, however, it looks like the bad economy has derailed the or put on hold future volumes. It's too bad because the first two books have been good. The series editor was John Prigent. Prigent is pretty well known in armour modeling circles, and with input from Jentz and company, I think the color profiles included in the volumes are as good as you will find. There are also a few good period color images which are nice to see.

Regards,

Chris.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd04qx View Post
Jentz and others state that panzers involved in Fall Gelb and Fall Rot would most likely have grey and brown camouflage. The brown is very hard to see sometimes, but a number of very good photos from May-June 1940 clearly show a common two tone pattern. A good source for photos is Mark Healy's "Panzerwaffe Vol.2 The Campaigns in the West 1940."

Regards,
Chris Ballance

Thanks, would this hold true for the Polish campaign?

Last edited by Hagen; 07-26-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Hagen

Here we go just found this; http://www.panzertracts.com/PZfacts.htm

Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
syd04qx

Hagen,

Sorry for not replying regarding your question about John Prigent's PANZERWAFFE: Vol. 1: The Evolution of the Panzerwaffe to the Fall of Poland 1939 (Classic Colours)

I picked up both volumes of the series at discount on Amazon and I very happy with them. However, before reading them I have to admit I was not very interested in early WW2 Panzer history. I pickup vol.1 for its coverage of WW1 opertations of German units with captured British Mark IVs and German A7V. Last night I picked up the book again and looked at the Polish Campaign coverage. There are about 34 pages and some nice veteran photographs that have been cleaned up and several well done profiles (profiles always taken with a grain of salt but I generally trust the work of Hilary L. Doyle- although I am still not sold on late war Panthers with red oxide based camo). As regards to the text, I think its a great introduction to Campaign. In the past I had breezed by Zaloga's book on the Polish Campaign and Jentz's writings his first Panzertruppen volume. I think if I get a chance to revisit those titles I would be better for having read Vol.1 & 2 of the Panzerwaffen series.

I don't know what you have on your shelf, so I don't know what photos or bit of history will help on a particular project or file a gap. I have found the combination of Panzerwreck team's Panzertruppen early war photo book, Tom Cockle's recent Concord title on the Panzer III/IV (7065), John Prigent's Panzerwaffe: Vol. 1, Mark Healy's Vol.2 and the Panzer Tracts on Pz.I, Pz.II, and Pz.III has pretty much covered any reference need I might have at the present for a 1939-1940 WW2 panzer project! Of course there always something else...like the rumor of a new series of Panzer Tracts for the Pz.IV...

Regards,

Chris.

Last edited by syd04qx; 07-28-2009 at 01:20 PM.