wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Torn.Fu.d2 - Playing in the garden
Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Funksammler

Default Torn.Fu.d2 - Playing in the garden

A while back I promised I would post some pictures of the remote antenna for the Torn.Fu.d2. Well, I had a nice play in the garden yesterday!

The first picture shows the set ready to go, the bag contains the remote antenna:

Photobucket

I thought I would include a picture of the back of the set which shows the carrying straps and padding (yes, a matching set):

Photobucket

The next picture shows the elements of the remote antenna, or "Abgesetzte Antenne". The set consists of -
- 5 standard tent poles
- 4 standard tent pegs
- one antenna base consisting of a socket for the standard Torn.Fu.d2 antenna plus four counterpoise wires.
- four guy ropes
- antenna cable

Photobucket

The next two pictures show the antenna set up next to the set. The standard Torn.Fu.d2 antenna (mast foot plus six rods) is placed on top of the mast and the special antenna cable is connected:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next picture shows the antenna cable connected the set. It slots onto the top of the box like the normal antenna. The antenna cable is connected to the antenna plug of the set while the outer screen of the coaxial antenna cable is connected to the box (earth) via the base:

Photobucket

Finally the antenna cable connection at the antenna end. The antenna wire of the normal Torn.Fu.d2 antenna base is plugged into the top of the plug. The outer screen of the coaxial cable is connected to short wire and plugged into the hole in the Torn.Fu.d2 antenna base (in case you ever wondered what that hole was for....). The lower part of the Torn.Fu.d2 antenna base is now connected to the counterpoise wires via the mast base.

Photobucket

Essentially the "Abgesetzte Antenne" is a more effective antenna than the standard set-up. The range of the Torn.Fu.d2 can be extended significantly (with a good antenna in relatively open country, the range of the d2 can easily exceed 50 km). The "Abgesetzte Antenne" also allowed the radio set to be place inside a dugout with the antenna outside. The antenna base has two holes (clearly visible on the final picture) which allows for the base to be fastened to the ground with two tentpegs. Lastly, the special connection cable was also used in the Kfz 2 radio vehicle to connect the set to the vehicle antenna.

Enjoy,

Funksammler

Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Yuri D.

Splendid demonstration!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
SpookyDad

Are the wooden pole sections the same ones as issued for zelt tents?
They sure look the same, even the zelt pole bags look the same.

Sweet set-up. Even the garden looks nice.

Neil

Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyDad View Post
Are the wooden pole sections the same ones as issued for zelt tents?
They sure look the same, even the zelt pole bags look the same.

Sweet set-up. Even the garden looks nice.

Neil
Yes, they are the same poles and pegs as used for the zelt tents. A rare feat of standardisation in the German army, neglecting an opportunity to engineer some super special antenna poles and pegs! Shocking!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
oberjaeger
Association Member

wow thats outstanding....i love your complete radio sets
jens

Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
SpookyDad

Funksammler

Do you know how long the guy wires are? I was just given the top section of the pole but the top plate and the guy wires are missing. I can figure out the top plate but the wires would be a wild guess.

Is the top section of the wire plastic coated? Then there appears to be a pair of insulators and then it switches to the yellow chord.

The top wood section appears to be longer than the zelt pole sections. Is that true or is just the way it looks in the picture?

Thanks

Neil

Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Funksammler

I have to take some exact measurements later, but the top sections of the guywires are actually four counterpoise wires. They are rubber coated copper wires and are electrically connected to the metal base (which in turn is connectd to the housing of the Torn.Fu.d2 via the coaxial cable sheath). The counterpoise cables end in a loop to which the guywires are clipped.

Photobucket

Photobucket

regards,

Funksammler

Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
SpookyDad

Those are some more great pictures.

Do the 4 counterpoise wires create a similar electrical effect as a ground plane antenna?

In the background there is another antenna on the sectional secondary poles. How do they join together? I thought they used the paddle clamp that is on the vehicle antenna base.

Thanks

Neil

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
Funksammler

OK, here are some measurements.

The total length of the antenna base including the pole is 53 cm:

Photobucket

The length of the counterpoise wires is 175 cm. with fixings you will need a total cable length of 185 cm

The length of the guywires (rope length) is 300 cm. They end in a loop on one end end in a sliding block on the other. The sliding blocks are made of 3 mm thick pertinax, 10 x 50 mm:

Photobucket

The clips are fitted to the end of the counterpoise wires. They are the typical antenna clip shape, but they are slightly smaller than for example found on the "egg chain" insulators. The clips are about 50 mm long:

Photobucket

Yes, it is a ground plane antenna. Essentially using the remote antenna has the same effect as placing the Torn.Fu.d2 on a higher level. Because the range is essentially "line of sight" at these high frequencies it is important to place the antenna as high as possible. Obviously in the front line this would expose the set and operators too much, so the remote antenna allows the Torn.Fu.d2 to be placed safely in a trench or dug-out with the antenna placed outside.

Obviously in the open planes of Russia this could still attract enemy fire, but at least you only had your antenna shot at. If setting up the mast was to conspicuous, the mast base could be placed on the ground. The metal bracket with two holes mounted on the pole just below the antenna base allows the base to be pinned to the ground with two tent pegs,. In this "ground" configuration the counterpoise wires were just laid out on the ground. Because the base was now horizontal, the Torn.Fu.d2 antenna base had to be bend 90 degrees.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Gary Cain
Association Member

Beautiful setup!

Vehicle antenna coupling
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Funksammler

Default Vehicle antenna coupling

As I mentioned before, the connection cable was also used to connect the Torn.Fu.d2 to the vehicle antenna of the Kfz 2.

Photobucket

The vehicle antenna has a few special jacks etc. connected to it to connect to the Torn.Fu.d2 cable:

Photobucket

The antenna has a loop (placed on an insulator), the hook of the Torn.Fu.d2 cable was clipped to this to keep it securely in place. Slightly under that is is the actual antenna connection plug surrounded by an insulated metal rainguard. Finally, the earth wire is plugged into the receptacle on the antenna base which in turn connects it to the body and chassis of the vehicle:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The butterfly nut on the other side was used for the antenna of the Torn.Fu.b1 or f.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
SpookyDad

Is the remote antenna cable made like the modern coaxial television cable?

What diameter is it?

How long is it?

I am restoring an original base and making a reproduction as well. I don't have any specifications on the cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Funksammler

The antenna cable is a coaxial cable, but it is quite different from modern cable. The germans used porcelain or plastic beads to keep the central conductor centered. It usually has a characteristic impedance of 75 Ohm, with modern cable typically being 50 Ohm.

The diameter of the cable used on the Torn.Fu.d2 antenna is about 11 mm diameter. The length of the cable is 4,20 meters (including terminations inside the end pieces). German coaxial cable is typically blue in colour.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
SpookyDad

Thank you for the information.

Is there a modern source for this type of cable, or a NOS source?

Here is a picture of the repro. It is almost complete. I need a buckle and a web strap for the middle. I am planning to take a couple of pictures of it out in the yard tomorrow, depending on the weather.

I am going to get an original zelt pole end socket for my restoration, along with an original buckle. I used a piece of 3/4" copper water pipe for the socket as it is the perfect size. I had to guess on the start of the taper on the wood shaft.

I am not sure if the rope is supposed to be white when new, but white cotton rope is all I could find. I used a red whipping thread for the first couple of thimbles, but it nylon or polyester. I like the color but the texture isn't right. The rest of them are woven hemp with a natural die. The sliding blocks are 3mm pertinax but 10 mm seemed a little too narrow with the 1/4" rope. So I made them 12mm wide. The holes could have been a little smaller but seem plenty strong enough.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post
It usually has a characteristic impedance of 75 Ohm, with modern cable typically being 50 Ohm.
Was there any impedance matching at the antenna side?