wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

DAK period color images uniform study
Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
NickG
Association Member

Default DAK period color images uniform study

DAK period color images uniform study! From B.Peitz's DAK publication an interesting image of a commanding General who opted to wear a regular panzer pink piped officer's visor modified by adding golden General's cap cords + matching Generals golden chin strap buttons. The eagle and wreath are also standard silver which was the norm for early war Generals.
Something that would have never been apparent in standard B/W images!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pzrpink2.jpg (179.7 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by NickG; 09-26-2008 at 05:30 PM.

another image
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
NickG
Association Member

Default another image

Another image! PANZER PINK Waffenfarbe instead of General's GOLD!! Only the gold cap cords reveal his true rank if we focus solely on the headgear! Explanation: most likely personal preference because of his loyalty to Panzertruppen or perhaps because of supply problems? The driver wearing continental bottle green shoulderboards is also remarkable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pzrpink.jpg (135.1 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by NickG; 09-26-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
NickG
Association Member

It gets wilder! Here's an image from the same publication which the author explains as a custom made uniform...perhaps from woolen great coat material the caption reads, which is totally incorrect...

Obviously the explanation is very simple! We are simply dealing here with a captured British wool Battledress blouse (note hidden buttons) with added continental breast eagle, added tropical collar litzen (yellow arrows) and added German rank insignia (shoulderboards and sleeve chevron).
The bleached cap with no soutache is also of interest contrasting nicely with the brown (captured/modified) UK uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dakBD.jpg (96.5 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by NickG; 09-26-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
MarkG
Association Member

A good selection of photographs from "Afrikakorps, Rommel's Tropical Army in Orginal Color" by Bernd Peitz, a very nice gentleman who has an incredible collection of original photographs.
The book is highly recommended.

Mark

Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
NickG
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gibson View Post
A good selection of photographs from "Afrikakorps, Rommel's Tropical Army in Orginal Color" by Bernd Peitz, a very nice gentleman who has an incredible collection of original photographs.
The book is highly recommended.

Mark
I agree! I hope he doesn't mind me reproducing these here... I just picked up the book (German language version) on Monday at the Sinsheim museum in Germany.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
NickG
Association Member

Here's another killer image from Peitz's DAK book! Note uniform color variations (fading) and General's uniform with standard buttons (not in General's gold which you would expect!) Neat details that you would never be able to observe in regular black and white pictures!
Note also bearded SONDERFUHRER on the right (he is a propaganda official but most were translators). Note his collar insignia has been removed!
Two men wear pants with a thigh pocket... captured British perhaps? or privately tailored? Neat uniform details here! So many color shades here, olive green,tan, brown...not very uniform these uniforms! The ww1 vet Pzr officer with pink pzr truppen soutache on his
not so bleached uniform is interesting also...He did not add the pzr skulls to his lapels as commonly done by Panzer men...
I realized he is actually not a Panzerman but the translator, I would expect Italian (also Sonderfuhrer rank) of Gen.Rommel! He was awarded the panzer abzeichen and wears a panzer pink soutache!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dakgroup.jpg (174.1 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by NickG; 09-27-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Sonderfuhrer
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
NickG
Association Member

Default Sonderfuhrer

Here is a "SONDERFUHRER" slip on shoulderboard out of my collection, identical to the one
worn by the bearded DAK officer in the previous picture (but higher rank)!
Anybody have its mate to spare?? He's so lonely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonderfhrer.jpg (11.2 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by NickG; 09-27-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Luca Ongaro
Lifetime Member

Nick your threads are always so interesting.... nice pictures
If I remember correctly, a rare greatcoat as that one showed in picture n. 1 is been sold on E-stand recently.
Luca

Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
MarkG
Association Member

Nick,
I'm sure that Bernd wouldn't mind a little bit of advertising for his book. It is well worth having in any library as far as I'm concerned.
The panzer officer which you mentioned in post #6 is very interesting, especially the use of a 2nd pattern tunic. Not all panzer personnel wore skulls on their tunics in North Africa but it was more than common practice with the majority appearing to do so.
As for the general, he is using your standard all ranks issue 1st pattern tunic in tan with Generals insignia added. He probably wasn't too concerned about placing gold buttons onto this tunic.
As you mentioned, the colour variations are incredible and not uniform at all. I have seven 1st pattern tunics and only two are close in colour, both of these being extremely faded tan tunics. The rest vary in colour from dark olive green to brown and right down to a extremely faded olive green which I mistook for tan when I originally saw photos prior to adding to the collection. The differing shades make each tunic just so unique.

Luca, I didn't see the greatcoat sell on the e-stand so perhaps I should take at look at the pics if it is still listed. Yes, they are very scarce indeed and very desirable to us tropical collectors. I also have to say that I do love your collection, it is incredible.

Mark

Old 09-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
NickG
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gibson View Post
Nick,
I'm sure that Bernd wouldn't mind a little bit of advertising for his book. It is well worth having in any library as far as I'm concerned.
The panzer officer which you mentioned in post #6 is very interesting, especially the use of a 2nd pattern tunic. Not all panzer personnel wore skulls on their tunics in North Africa but it was more than common practice with the majority appearing to do so.
As for the general, he is using your standard all ranks issue 1st pattern tunic in tan with Generals insignia added. He probably wasn't too concerned about placing gold buttons onto this tunic.
As you mentioned, the colour variations are incredible and not uniform at all. I have seven 1st pattern tunics and only two are close in colour, both of these being extremely faded tan tunics. The rest vary in colour from dark olive green to brown and right down to a extremely faded olive green which I mistook for tan when I originally saw photos prior to adding to the collection. The differing shades make each tunic just so unique.

Luca, I didn't see the greatcoat sell on the e-stand so perhaps I should take at look at the pics if it is still listed. Yes, they are very scarce indeed and very desirable to us tropical collectors. I also have to say that I do love your collection, it is incredible.

Mark
Good eye Mark, a 2nd pattern pleatless uniform! I agree the book is well worth every penny. I was examining each page with great interest while flying back to California on a Lufthansa flight...Highly recommended.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
MarkG
Association Member

Nick, I had only just noticed this even though I've been through the book many times in the past. I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed out his fresh looking uniform.
I also agree that the soldier in post #3 is wearing a captured British BD blouse. Things like this do slip through in most books and it's a little bit hard to change once they've gone to print.

Mark

Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Richard P

Nick,

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. Here is a general's cap like the one you are pointing out in the first few photos. It belonged to a fairly famous panzer general who I am not at liberty to name since the cap is not mine. It is nice to actually see one in original photos. Thanks!

Richard P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gencap1318.jpg (155.7 KB, 336 views)

Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
MarkG
Association Member

That's a very nice cap Richard.
I'm inspired so took a quick pic of some of the tunics for a comparison. I've been meaning to take detailed shots of all of them but I'm quite busy looking for a new career at the moment so haven't got a great deal of time.
This shot shows a wide range from a lightly used '40 dated olive green example (front left), well used and very faded green panzer em (front right), a lightly used '41 dated Brown Pz Regt 8 officer, extremely faded and well used olive green tunic (centre rear), and another extremely faded tan NCO tunic which is id'd and was used in North Africa. The fading on the centre rear tunic is so heavy that I have no doubts that it was also used in North Africa. I hope that you enjoy this comparison.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tropical Tunics colour comparison.jpg (127.5 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by MarkG; 09-26-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
MarkG
Association Member

Just one more comparison before I go back to doing some work;
A few different caps which display a small scope of the wide variety of colours available.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tropical Family portrait 1.jpg (82.8 KB, 347 views)

Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
Federico Perez
Association Member

Mark, you kill me every time with those amazing 1st model tunics and magnificent headgear selection....superb!!!!!!!!!

Nick, you made my dessision to buy this great book on the color history of the DAK.