wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

How to blacken aluminum Receiver?
Old 08-16-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
bnz. 42
Banned by Moderators

Default How to blacken aluminum Receiver?

I have an aluminum receiver, which I try to blue with this solution. In description it says "color will vary from deep gray to black depending on alloy". In my case it is deep gray but after some while (2-3 weeks) all this new black finish is gone (for some reason) and the receiver has natural aluminum color again.
I must say it takes a lot of time and patience to blacken my aluminum receiver. The alloy doesn’t accept it easily. But I did it again. Another 2-3 weeks past and it is the same result.
Maybe this solution is not good for my alloy?

Can you please help me here? Do you know any other way to blacken aluminum?
Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlumBlack.jpg (79.1 KB, 186 views)

Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
Rich G
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz. 42
I have an aluminum receiver, which I try to blue with this solution. In description it says "color will vary from deep gray to black depending on alloy". In my case it is deep gray but after some while (2-3 weeks) all this new black finish is gone (for some reason) and the receiver has natural aluminum color again.
I must say it takes a lot of time and patience to blacken my aluminum receiver. The alloy doesn’t accept it easily. But I did it again. Another 2-3 weeks past and it is the same result.
Maybe this solution is not good for my alloy?

Can you please help me here? Do you know any other way to blacken aluminum?
Thank you in advance.
I'm sure the only way to colour alunimium is to have it anodised. This method IMO is just temporary... Steel can be blued with these compounds effectively but I'm fairly sure aluminium can not.

Rich

Old 08-18-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Paul_Mullins

Try the high temp black spray paint. Then take it when fully dried and put it in your oven on about 150 for 30 min or so. Thats what I have done before and the paint is very durable after that treatment.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
RayG

A couple of years ago while surfing a AR15 rifle forum I saw this post on how to darken the aluminum receivers on the AR15 rifles. I had saved the post. You might want to check with the company below. Here's a copy of the saved post. Ray

Solid Film Lubricant

In Response To: Reblueing a lower receiver (francois)

SFL is what's used to touch up these rifles in the Army; other services use it to completely refinish the receiver.

Georgia Precision sells a 16oz spray can of SFL (commercial brand is "Perma Silk G") for under $20. Meets the required mil spec and the color should match your receivers.

This same SFL refinishes magazines nicely too.

Hopefully this link works. And if the SFL doesn't do the job you want you can still send it out for professional work.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
bnz. 42
Banned by Moderators

Thank you very much for your inputs

Richard, I am afraid, it wouldn’t be the best solution in my case because in order to anodize my receiver, I would need to remove the magazine housing, which is permanently riveted to the receiver. Secondly, I don’t know where I can anodize it. I asked it in a few local gun shops – they don’t know either.

Paul, As a matter of fact, when I bought this receiver, it was already painted with the black oil paint. Since an original receiver wouldn’t have this kind of finish on it, I removed the paint with Paint Thinner. I already hear you - an original receiver wouldn’t be made of aluminum either. But at least I could try to make it look like original.

Ray, I used the following combinations of key words with Google Search Engine and couldn’t find anything on the web.
Solid Film Lubricant
Solid Film Lubricant Receiver
Solid Film Lubricant Aluminum
SFL Aluminum
Perma Silk G
Perma Silk G Receiver
Perma Silk G Aluminum

Old 08-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Paul_Mullins

The high temp black paint usually dries to a very dull black. Leaving it look like anodizing (sp) i do understand what your after though, I dont think you will be able to achieve the blued look on aluminum.

Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
RayG

Here's a web site for Geogia Precision. rhttp://www.georgiaprecision.com/ You could try contacting them, Ray