wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Cloth Headgear Forum

Cloth Headgear Forum Covers officer visor, overseas caps, field caps, and any cloth headgear.

Post Your Pinking-Sheared Linings
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
stonemint
Lifetime Member

Default Post Your Pinking-Sheared Linings

There was/is a long back and forth on Ron R's twill WH General's cap. My hang-up is the pinking-sheared lining, as I have not seen it used before on wartime caps. I agree that pinking shears have been around prior to even WWI, but for some reason the German Handwerkarbeiters did not make use of them, even when it would make sense to do so.

So, if anyone here has a wartime hat with a pinking-sheared lining, please post it.

This is what you look for--the zig-zag edging to the lining:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100NIKON-DSCN2857_DSCN2857%20copy.JPG (208.9 KB, 245 views)

Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Richard T
Association Member

Would like to help but I just checked all 20 of my visors and not a single pinking sheared version

Good hunting,
Richard

Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
NTZ
Association Member

Dito for me but I am not ruling it out yet.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Shawn Southern
Association Member

No pinking sheared linings amongst my caps....

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
stonemint
Lifetime Member

While on my afternoon jog (yes, I think about this stuff too much!), I came to the obvious conclusion as to why the TR haberdashers did not use pinking shears---I believe the simple reason is that the silk/rayon lining material came to them in large rolls, and the sections needed were cut-off by something akin to a carpet knife, or even a mechanical jig-saw type machine. Lets face it, these hats were mass-produced, and to have to use pinking shears for each hat would drastically slow down production times, and I believe thats why we don't see it on the Mutzenfabrikationen-produced hats.

The mom & pop cottage maker is a different story, so thats why I am not closed to the idea of pinking sheared linings.

As you all know, I am not a tunic guy, but I have seen them used on uniforms, but always on the wool itself--but I have seen this only rarely.
Anyone have any tunic linings finished with pinking-shears?

Joggin" the brain
Old 04-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Shawn Southern
Association Member

Default Joggin" the brain

Stone, SMint...., or Stonemint, if one's not into the whole "brevity thing":

I think you're right. I've done some consulting work for garment manufacturers and the whole mass garment manufacturing thing is usually done by cutting a bunch of fabric layers simultaneously to a "component" pattern...and usually with a process exactly as you've described....a type of large, electric/pneumatic "jig saw." Although my observation experience is limited to jeans manufacturers (think "501s"), I can't imagine that the technology/process varies much for other fabric items....now or then. The tools I've seen all produce a straight line cut. Without doubt, that cut would be the most technologically simple to produce....certainly not a "pinked" cut.

Wonder if anyone has any photos of cap production? Those would be quite interesting to see!

Best Regards,

Shawn

Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
stonemint
Lifetime Member

I put a thread on the WH Uniforms forum regarding whether or not the uniform guys had any linings/wool finished with pinking shears. It appears that it was common to Dutch tunics and WH tunics made in occupied Holland.

As such, I stand by my proposition that pinking-sheared linings are a major RED-FLAG--however, it does not automatically mean the hat is a fake--but it does mean that the hat requires veryclose scrutiny....