wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

101st Airborne WW II Zippo Lighter
Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Bill D.

Default 101st Airborne WW II Zippo Lighter

I obtained this from a friend who recently aquired it from a WW II veteran of the 101st Airborne Division.

It is a Zippo lighter which, as best as I can tell from a little research, is of the pre-WW II period. The paratrooper mounted one of his distinctive insignia for the 501st parachute infantry regiment on one side of the lighter; on the other side he mounted two small coins, one from England and one from Holland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03581.JPG (52.3 KB, 131 views)

Old 06-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Bill D.

The coins....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03580.JPG (46.1 KB, 131 views)

Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
GLM

Bill,

Can we turn this into a cigarette lighter thread? I'd like to see other WWII examples.

That is a very nice Zippo and it's obvious that it meant an awful lot to the soldier who carried it. Do you have a name to go with it?

I understand that there are militaria collectors who collect nothing but cigarette lighters from WWII. I think yours is one of those top end special pieces, just because of the history behind it.

Here are a couple my dad saved as souvenirs from the war. Every time he frisked a captured German soldier, he would liberate that soldier's cigarette lighter, so as to have a backup he could use to light his own smokes.

The one on the right has a pull out striker that uses no flint to create a spark when slid down the striker panel on the side of the lighter. Metal against metal and dad said it worked remarkably well with gasoline. One of his favorites because it didn't use flints!

The lighter on the left was taken from a very indignant German officer after the fighting and capture of Aachen, Germany in 1944. It is a very fancy, engraved lighter and has a fuel container that is pulled from the bottom like a pistol clip.

As you can imagine, I was a very disappointed kid, wishing dad had captured Knight's Crosses and daggers instead of things like lighters, straight razors, gloves, flashlights and things he could use to make his life a little better in the mud. Over the years, I have grown very fond of these souvenirs and his wisdom at what was worth picking up.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lighters_01.jpg (39.6 KB, 103 views)

Old 06-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
GLM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lighters_02.jpg (43.9 KB, 102 views)

Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
sbas

Nice to see the Willemina Gulden on the zippo! Nice one youve got there

Sbas