wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum

Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum Order of battle, unit history, personality research.

Trying to get more details on my Grandfather's service
Old 05-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Olaf.Meys

Default Trying to get more details on my Grandfather's service

I'm trying to trace info on my grandfather's service record. I've put some scans on my site at My Granddad in WW2. If anyone here has any clues, please feel free to contact me- I'm waiting for a reply from WASt, but that may still take another six months or so.

So- what do I know about my family in WW2? Well, I know my grandfather (Josef Heinrich Brings , b 8 May 1910, d 20 May 1994) was in the 1.Gebirgs-Division (I do recall him saying this back in '82). I know he was a cook. I know that he was captured by the western Allies. I know that Onkel Hermann was in the Luftwaffe, and was captured by the Russians, only returning in 1955.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Olaf.Meys

ups!

Well, I managed to get a few more bits via WAsT (Deutsche Dienststelle). According to their references, my grandfather served in:
1. Batterie schwere Artillerie Abteilung 745
Unterstellung: 1. Gebirgs-Division
Einsatzraum: 1939 Südpolen, Lemberg
Oktober/Dezember 1939 an der Eiffel
His Wehrnummer was 10/103/9
His Dienststelle (Truppenteil usw, Standort) were 12(E)/AR6 Lingen (Ems), and the Truppen-(Kriegs-)Stammrollen-Nr Ranglisten-Nr was 269/39

Could anyone explain this a little more clearly to me?

Thanks
Olaf

Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Simon O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf.Meys View Post
Well, I managed to get a few more bits via WAsT (Deutsche Dienststelle). According to their references, my grandfather served in:
1. Batterie schwere Artillerie Abteilung 745
Unterstellung: 1. Gebirgs-Division
Einsatzraum: 1939 Südpolen, Lemberg
Oktober/Dezember 1939 an der Eiffel
His Wehrnummer was 10/103/9
His Dienststelle (Truppenteil usw, Standort) were 12(E)/AR6 Lingen (Ems), and the Truppen-(Kriegs-)Stammrollen-Nr Ranglisten-Nr was 269/39

Thanks
Olaf
Well Artillerie Abteilung 745 became the III abteilung of Gebirgs Artillerie regiment 79 in january 1941. I'd guess he served with the same unit throughout the war.

BTW, with regard to the last photo on your website, it shows him as an unteroffizier, he wears the ribbon for the Ostfront medal and the KVK II with swords (not the EKII).

Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
HansFrank

Quote:

Maybe if you visit http://www.militaerforum.dethere are some users who can help you.

greats

hansfrank

Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Olaf.Meys

Thank you, I will be updating the info on my granddad in the next day or so, then, and also for the next step in the trail.