wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Hitler's Daggers...
Old 10-14-2002, 12:26 PM   #1
DonC
Association Member

Default Hitler's Daggers...

I was looking through Angolia's book "In the Service of the Reich" on the Nazi Diplomatic Corps and Red Cross, and came across a picture of Hitler and Mussolini during Hitler's 1938 visit to Rome. Interestingly, Hitler is wearing dagger. This is the only photo I've seen of him with a dagger. Any of our edged-weapons experts have any light to
shed on this? I believe the photo is on page 108 of the book. Was there a "Fuhrer degen" or "Fuhrer dolch"? At first glance it resembles the army dagger, but I wonder if it was a gift from the Italians.

Don

Hitler's Dagger
Old 10-14-2002, 02:22 PM   #2
Newlyn

Default Hitler's Dagger

Just had a quick look at 'The Hitler Albums', (Bender), concerning the Mussolini visit. Can't see any evidence of a dagger, but your post rings a bell, I'm sure I have seen one in evidence once.

Old 10-14-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
Ken Jasper
Lifetime Member

You are right, it was a gift. Mussolini presented Hitler with an Italian Fascist dagger which Hitler wore during the visit,.
OMSA #6582

At my age, "getting lucky" is finding my car in the parking lot.

Aha!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
DonC
Association Member

Default Aha!

I found a better picture shot at the same time, it appears. Hitler and Mussolini are in fact wearing identical daggers. This is the only time I've seen Adolf wearing one!

Don

Old 10-21-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Skipper Greenwade
Lifetime Member

In response to Don's initial question, there was no Fuhrerdolch per se and the only photos of Hitler wearing a dagger seem to be different shots of the one discussed here.

He did receive a sword from the City of Solingen, but it was a presentation/display-only piece...a big, heavy Damascus sword with no scabbard or other provision for wearing.

It was turned up by fellow Texan Ben Swearingen several years ago.

Best,
Skip

Old 11-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
JasonS

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone post that picture or any other of Hitler wearing a dagger?

Old 11-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
David C
Lifetime Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (108.1 KB, 315 views)
At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Old 11-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
JasonS

Very cool! Thanks.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
phosphateb

anyone know if this dagger was ever captured? certainly worth lots of money...what would your price the original at? 50K or more?

Old 11-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Scott C.
Association Member

A wider shot of the same photo will show Himmler wearing one of the Itialian knives gifted to Hitler's deligation as well. Considering the jewel-encrusted medals and badges Hitler handed out to the upper crust of the Itialian Facist regime on that visit, a few knives for the Germans seems like a good trade.

Scott