wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Model Building and Display Forum

Model Building and Display Forum Post tips, methods, tools and final outcome of your projects!

king tiger in panzer grey?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
anzac

ups! king tiger in panzer grey?

Hi all ,I'm hoping someone can help me here.......I have read that early on most german tanks were panzer grey then changed to the "mustard"yellow colour and towards the end of the war they started to run out of paint and tanks come out in both the yellow base coat and panzer grey ............any one know if any king tigers were painted in a plain coat of panzer grey ??? if so any one know of any photos of a king tger in with a panzer grey paint job?
thanks for looking

Old 06-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
Wunhur

hi,

I do not think that King Tigers ever came out in German Grey. In time of paint shortage or production demands they would have been left in their primer red and probably repainted in the field.

Cheers!

Old 06-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
sniper1shot

You know....I have seen a picture of a Tiger that was captured outside Leningrad (one of the first 3??) and it was definately NOT yellow. It was a dark colour and this was when the Germans were not running out of paint so I can only imagine the colour was grey.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Humberto Corado

hello all,

is documented that some large tanks like jagdtiger and tiger II were painted in overall early war dark gray in the last days of war . it cannot be determined it this was a deliberate attempt to conceal these tanks in shadows as was the case in 1939 or wheter the dark gray paint was all that was available left over from the early 1943 change to dark yellow base color.

unfortunately I dont have right at hand the book where its shows a Jagdtiger painted in overall dark gray.

is documented too that the first tiger I tanks that fought in africa were overall painted in olive green.

I hope this help a little,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac
Hi all ,I'm hoping someone can help me here.......I have read that early on most german tanks were panzer grey then changed to the "mustard"yellow colour and towards the end of the war they started to run out of paint and tanks come out in both the yellow base coat and panzer grey ............any one know if any king tigers were painted in a plain coat of panzer grey ??? if so any one know of any photos of a king tger in with a panzer grey paint job?
thanks for looking

Last edited by Humberto Corado; 06-22-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
Gulli

I do belive that Mister Humberto Corado is very corect.

I cant remember vere I read it but it might be in the books called
"panzer colors" vol 1, 2 and 3.

best regards
Kjetil Gulli

Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
anzac

Smile

thanks to every one who have posted answers to my question so far!
it looks like it is more lucky that some did get painted in german grey from reading the replys ........I sure hope it IS the case as I have already painted the model in the grey colour LOL..........I will be gratfull for more input tho
and shall go with the majority ...and just hope that iI dont need to repaint the thing !!!! thanks again to everyone

Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
Humberto Corado

hello,

you are not the only one that have painted the tiger II in dark grey.
in my Verlinden tiger tanks book it shows this diorama , sorry about the lines but they are from my scan, you can see the tiger II painted in dark grey.
the tank has been applied with a severe weathering but you can see that is painted in dark gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac
thanks to every one who have posted answers to my question so far!
it looks like it is more lucky that some did get painted in german grey from reading the replys ........I sure hope it IS the case as I have already painted the model in the grey colour LOL..........I will be gratfull for more input tho
and shall go with the majority ...and just hope that iI dont need to repaint the thing !!!! thanks again to everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dioramatigerII A.jpg (88.8 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by Humberto Corado; 06-24-2005 at 01:40 AM.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
Humberto Corado

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dioramatigerII B.jpg (82.2 KB, 243 views)

Old 06-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #9
Humberto Corado

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dioramatigerII C.jpg (56.1 KB, 242 views)

Old 06-25-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
anzac

cool thanks for the pics....altho every time i look at verlinden dioramas it makes me want to give up and throw mine in the rubbish LOL
I shall try and post some picks of some of my dioramas here once i take some pics........thanks