wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

Hitler's medal bar
Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
old siagon
Association Member

Default Hitler's medal bar

Greetings,
Is there a color photo of this medal bar in existence?
What is the last medal on the right? What color is its ribbon?
(Photo from WW2 German War Booty, Volume 3.)
Thanks for any help.
Vince
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0089.jpg (88.7 KB, 290 views)

Old 05-02-2018, 03:04 AM   #2
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

The last medal is the Goldene Hochzeits-Erinnerungsmünze in Eisen. It should be worn on the ribbon for 1905 Bavarian army commemorative medal. The ribbon in the picture seems to be something else though - however it is hard to tell with black and white pics. I find it kind of odd that this medal would be on Hitler's medal bar. It is possible however considering that his political views did not support the fallen monarchy of Bavaria I would think that, if he received that particular medal, he would not have worn it on his medal bar especially seeing that this medal bar is constructed after 1934 when he was already 2 years chancellor of Germany at that time wearing this particular medal would have been a rather odd political statement.

Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 05-02-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Miro O

Hitler was awarded also with Bavarian Long service medal, 3rd class, which is missing on this bar.
Geli Raubal is thought to commit suicide with one of these three guns - Walther PPK, cal 7.65, Walther Model 8, cal. 6.35 or Smith & Wesson serial no 709.
But most sources speak for Walther Model 8.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #4
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro O View Post
Hitler was awarded also with Bavarian Long service medal
I thought that was the case as well. So I am a bit hesitant as to accept the medal bar shown as that of Hitler.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
old siagon
Association Member

Very interesting!
Many thanks for all your input.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #6
Valter Gorenc

Very interesting post!

Howerver, I'm with the sceptics about this bar belonging to Hitler. First, the issue with Bavarian monarchy. In Werner Maser's biography there's a description of Hitler's political debut - when he attended (as army spy) one of the first meetings of DAP (Deutsche ArberiterPartei), there was some guy speaking about renewal of Bavarian monarchy and possible alligience with Austria. Then Hitler jumped in and torn to pieces his ideas with his fanatic speech. He was strongly against bavarian monarchy. Then the long service issue. Third, I've never seen a pic of Hitler wearing ANY medal bar. He wore just EK1, wound badge and golden party badge. Is there any known photo of Hitler with medal bar (this or any else)? Next, Geli Raubal suicide left Hitler devastated, he claimed to become vegetarian after this event, although I can't see a real connection between these two. So I think it would be quite strange Hitler kept her suicide weapon as a "memento". Ok, Hitler was strange, so it's not impossible, but I'm not aware of him keeping or collecting any such morbid memorabilia (except film movie of hanging of the members of 20th july plot).