wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Roger Bender Book Review and Media

Roger Bender Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #31
o.r.k.

I, too was interested, as the topic WW1 isn´t that common in big movies. The director/author told that there is quite some biographical part of his ancestor in it. I´ve heard that his (great?-) grandfather in the movie must have been some kind of James Bond so I believe the action must be somehow over the top? What do those say who saw it?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #32
STG44

Three of my "gun" buddies saw it this week. They all said it was not worth watching. I will wait until it comes out on cable.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #33
eubank

A good film, certainly not a "masterpiece" or "exceptional " as many industry critics are saying. The no mans land and trench bits at the start were very well done, full of foreboding, but as far as the plot is concerned, nothing surprising really.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #34
PaulW
Association Member

1917 - Had mixed feelings about this one (overweight "Blake" character who looked like he'd been shoveling Pizza down every night not WW1 rations... ), but as others have said it's a film and mean't to entertain. A lot of money was spent no doubt, the sets and kit were excellent but I think it could have been better. Nevertheless it helps to keep history alive and triggers interest in the period so that's a good thing!

For WW1 film buffs I would also suggest taking a look at this recently made film:-

Journey's End:-

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3780500/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

The story has been filmed several times (theatre plays too) since the 1920's, but this latest version is not a bad interpretation IMHO, having read the screenplay and the book. Based upon the recollections of a serving WW1 British Officer (East Surrey Regiment) who was wounded in 1917 it has a feel of authenticity about it having been written by someone 'who was there'.
Along with the book the story gives an excellent overview of the unit rotations and the sheer depth of the 'front line' by the latter part of the war on the Western Front. I recommend it.

Regards, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Journey's+End+Poster.jpg (165.3 KB, 185 views)

My collection/ albums:- http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...um.php?u=40842

Last edited by PaulW; 01-30-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #35
nutmeg
Association Member

I liked it . Possibly too much pastoral landscape near the front. Worth watching on cable is "Our World War" . three film stories about VC winners. Well done IMO.

Old 02-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #36
HPL2008
Association Member

Just got home from watching 1917.

As Stonemint and others have pointed out, it has its weaknesses, but personally, I have to say that they didn't much diminish my enjoyment of the film.

How they managed to pull off that "one-take-style" was extremely clever and almost worth the price of admission alone (although if one consciously pays attention, it is not that hard to spot where the cuts - or at least most of them - were hidden). Also, I dare say that it is not just a gratuitous gimmick, but really helps to keep us viewers right in the middle of it all, as if we were following the protagonists along.

It's technically brilliant in every other way, too, especially the sets, props and locations. They really take you to that war-torn hellscape of those days.

(By the way, my favorite bit was the nighttime run through the destroyed French town, where the apocalyptic scenery, the ever-changing lights and shadows created by a rain of by flares and the brilliant music create a bizarre, terrible beauty.)

By all means, do check it out.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #37
helmuthunter
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL2008 View Post
Just got home from watching 1917.

As Stonemint and others have pointed out, it has its weaknesses, but personally, I have to say that they didn't much diminish my enjoyment of the film.

How they managed to pull off that "one-take-style" was extremely clever and almost worth the price of admission alone (although if one consciously pays attention, it is not that hard to spot where the cuts - or at least most of them - were hidden). Also, I dare say that it is not just a gratuitous gimmick, but really helps to keep us viewers right in the middle of it all, as if we were following the protagonists along.

It's technically brilliant in every other way, too, especially the sets, props and locations. They really take you to that war-torn hellscape of those days.

(By the way, my favorite bit was the nighttime run through the destroyed French town, where the apocalyptic scenery, the ever-changing lights and shadows created by a rain of by flares and the brilliant music create a bizarre, terrible beauty.)

By all means, do check it out.
Yep I agree. And for Christ sake guys, it really wasn’t bad at all. Great story, sets, CGI, and pretty entertaining. Johnno.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:38 AM   #38
HPL2008
Association Member

It won the Academy Awards for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects and Best Sound Mixing.

Last edited by HPL2008; 02-10-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #39
BenVK
Association Member

Storm Dennis kept me indoors over the weekend so I succumbed to boredom and watched this movie.
The whole seamless, continuous take idea was totally lost on me because it felt like a sequence of random scenes stitched together so didn't understand the point at all.
As for the plot, well it was as ridiculous as I feared it would be. On the plus side, the music during the night time village scene was probably the most interesting and haunting piece of music I've heard in a long time and the uniforms and kit were really good.
It's a shame because they had the resources and technical skill to make a really great movie but it ended being yet another disappointment which I won't watch a second time.