wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

US Jump Wings british made
Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 AM   #1
Capazo
Member
 
Capazo is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 133
Default US Jump Wings british made

Hello!!

I need your opinion about this Jump Wings.
Are they ww2 period? What is your opinion.
Thank you

https://ibb.co/rGHyvfW
https://ibb.co/Z81Rv0s
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default

I don't like them very much. The marking is wrong for one, and they are too bright for the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capazo View Post
Hello!!

I need your opinion about this Jump Wings.
Are they ww2 period? What is your opinion.
Thank you

https://ibb.co/rGHyvfW
https://ibb.co/Z81Rv0s
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Capazo
Member
 
Capazo is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 133
Default

thank you
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
101combatvet
Member
 
101combatvet's Avatar
 
101combatvet is online now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 4,306
Default

It could be okay; a hand inspection is necessary. The finish looks similar to other British made wings I've owned in unused condition. The STERLING mark was used on some British wings.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Mike Kenny
Lifetime Member
 
Mike Kenny's Avatar
 
Mike Kenny is offline
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,087
Default

I'd suggest this is a recent casting. The in places weak obverse detailing and obvious pockmarks, plus the grinding marks on the reverse and strange finish, all raise serious red flags for me.

Regards
Mike

Loading the pics so this does not become a useless thread;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg para-front-jpg.jpg (96.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg para-rear-png.jpg (74.3 KB, 107 views)
__________________
Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

PS: If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
pfrost
Member
 
pfrost is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,574
Default

I believe (as noted above) that these are fakes. I see a number of flags (marked with red arrows). There are a number of flaws in these wings that probably came from the original castings. this includes a flaw in the shroud lines and the "fusing" of a number of the shroud lines before they reach the bottom of the parachute.


On the back, I see what looks like an obscured JR Gaunt hallmark. The fake/restrikes of the JR Gaunt hallmark will have a slight tilt with the left side being higher than the right. In real vintage Gaunt wings, the hallmark will be level.


Finally, the use of SILVER is incorrect. Most British emblems were not made of sterling silver, rather a white pot metal. If they were sterling, the British used very strict metal quality markings. The mark "Silver" seems to be a good indication for fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jump wing.jpg (116.8 KB, 95 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default

You are absolutely correct about the strict British Sterling marking protocols. However, Hub Zemke had some Colonel Rank insignia, made by Gaunt, that was simply marked STERLING. They are the only pair I have ever seen that were marked that way.




Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrost View Post
I believe (as noted above) that these are fakes. I see a number of flags (marked with red arrows). There are a number of flaws in these wings that probably came from the original castings. this includes a flaw in the shroud lines and the "fusing" of a number of the shroud lines before they reach the bottom of the parachute.


On the back, I see what looks like an obscured JR Gaunt hallmark. The fake/restrikes of the JR Gaunt hallmark will have a slight tilt with the left side being higher than the right. In real vintage Gaunt wings, the hallmark will be level.


Finally, the use of SILVER is incorrect. Most British emblems were not made of sterling silver, rather a white pot metal. If they were sterling, the British used very strict metal quality markings. The mark "Silver" seems to be a good indication for fake.
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
pfrost
Member
 
pfrost is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,574
Default

These aren't marked STERLING, they are marked SILVER.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
101combatvet
Member
 
101combatvet's Avatar
 
101combatvet is online now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 4,306
Default

One should consider that many street vendors that were selling these wings to GIs. There was a war going on, and the standard protocols were often ignored to beat out the big names like Guant, Firmin, and Ludlow. If someone wanted a pair of wings made from a nickel, the local craftsman could turn it out in the time it took you to drink a pint in the pub next store. If GIs wanted sterling silver wings, they could get them, or maybe just marked that way.

The photos look slightly out of focus, so a hand inspection would reveal the truth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default

I know, I am just adding to the general body of knowledge.
That's all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrost View Post
These aren't marked STERLING, they are marked SILVER.
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default

Frost shows why these are fake quite handily. They were not sold via street seller either, you would go to whichever insignia company you wanted to purchase from.
The British Silver laws were NEVER breached during the war. Most British insignia is brass so there would have been no crunch on the staff.

The rules were never relaxed during WWI either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
One should consider that many street vendors that were selling these wings to GIs. There was a war going on, and the standard protocols were often ignored to beat out the big names like Guant, Firmin, and Ludlow. If someone wanted a pair of wings made from a nickel, the local craftsman could turn it out in the time it took you to drink a pint in the pub next store. If GIs wanted sterling silver wings, they could get them, or maybe just marked that way.

The photos look slightly out of focus, so a hand inspection would reveal the truth.
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
pfrost
Member
 
pfrost is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,574
Default

Gary is correct, there is no evidence that London was full of lonely street vendors who would make insignia for any wayward paratrooper on leave and in between seducing local girls.



The fact is that these wings are not WWII vintage but manipulated castings of well known JR Gaunt fakes that have been around for years. You can't guild that lily or put lipstick on that pig. It is what it is.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default




Best response EVER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrost View Post
Gary is correct, there is no evidence that London was full of lonely street vendors who would make insignia for any wayward paratrooper on leave and in between seducing local girls.



The fact is that these wings are not WWII vintage but manipulated castings of well known JR Gaunt fakes that have been around for years. You can't guild that lily or put lipstick on that pig. It is what it is.
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #14
6.5 Creedmoor
New Member
 
6.5 Creedmoor is offline
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Nunya
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cain View Post



Best response EVER!
Not saying the ones here are legit, but I do know of at least two paratroopers who went into a small shop in London and picked up a set of wings each.

The ones here look pretty bad.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
Gary Cain
Association Member
 
Gary Cain's Avatar
 
Gary Cain is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carson City Nevada
Posts: 10,764
Default

Yes, the insignia shops were small. So were, and still are, the tailors shops on Savile Row.
But the vendors had shops. That is the point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Creedmoor View Post
Not saying the ones here are legit, but I do know of at least two paratroopers who went into a small shop in London and picked up a set of wings each.

The ones here look pretty bad.
__________________
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
Rudyard Kipling
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com