wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Sudfront/DAK Gas Mask with "Normal" Canister?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Galacnor

Default Sudfront/DAK Gas Mask with "Normal" Canister?

Hello everyone,

I've been offered a nice GM-30 gas mask set, complete in carrier. The mask is a genuine Sudfront/DAK/Yellow one, whatever people like to call them; but, its been offered to me with a "standard" 1938 pattern type (Short, not waterproofed, springlatched) carrier which is named, while the mask doesn't appear to me to be named.

The two certainly seem to have been together a long time, and both are unmolested and the carrier is complete with fabric straps, with the leather strap protectors at the attachment points.

I'm curious to know if its possible the set was issued like that and the named carrier is still with its original mask?

I've been collecting gas masks for a long time and can't claim to have ever seen a "tan" GM-30 with a non tan/non grey oversprayed carrier. But, I'm not the king of equipment by any means and want to know what everyone thinks!

Cheers!
Alex

Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
anmarlodz
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacnor View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been offered a nice GM-30 gas mask set, complete in carrier. The mask is a genuine Sudfront/DAK/Yellow one, whatever people like to call them; but, its been offered to me with a "standard" 1938 pattern type (Short, not waterproofed, springlatched) carrier which is named, while the mask doesn't appear to me to be named.

The two certainly seem to have been together a long time, and both are unmolested and the carrier is complete with fabric straps, with the leather strap protectors at the attachment points.

I'm curious to know if its possible the set was issued like that and the named carrier is still with its original mask?

I've been collecting gas masks for a long time and can't claim to have ever seen a "tan" GM-30 with a non tan/non grey oversprayed carrier. But, I'm not the king of equipment by any means and want to know what everyone thinks!

Cheers!
Alex
Photos please.

The short canister is not M38, but M36.Anoter thing pre war canister WERE watertight ( were simply far better made than wartime examples and didn't need addition rubber to be watertight as post 1940, simplified examokes ). And what do you mnean by DAK/Southfront M30 ? do you mean it has tan painted metal parts ? If so, than probably is the one from those postwar dutch reissue.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Galacnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmarlodz View Post
Photos please.

The short canister is not M38, but M36.Anoter thing pre war canister WERE watertight ( were simply far better made than wartime examples and didn't need addition rubber to be watertight as post 1940, simplified examokes ). And what do you mnean by DAK/Southfront M30 ? do you mean it has tan painted metal parts ? If so, than probably is the one from those postwar dutch reissue.
Hello anmarlodz,

Regarding M36 vs M38 carriers, isn't the M36 the older variant without the modern spring latch? As far as Im aware the M36 came right after the model with no spring at all for the latch which the mask was first issued with in the early 30's, which had no spring assisted closure, and the M38 came afterwards, which would serve more commonly (although I've seen all models of carrier photographed in use during the war) alongside the later "D" marked M41's. (The M41's are what I mean by waterproof cans, as they're specifically marked as such, even if the earlier ones were capable of the same thing)

Heres a photo showing the earlier carriers up to the M38, notice M36 and M38 are the same height, but the later M41 was a bit taller, which I'm not sure for what-maybe to better deal with the less bendy GM-38 along with the FE42 filter's height.

credits to the late Johannes Muller.

By "DAK/Southfront" I mean the yellowy/tan/gold/whatever one wants to call them, GM-30 masks, these were definitely manufactured during the war, and aren't the same as the Dutch used models, which, I've come to find are most commonly GM-38 series masks, and are overpainted as far as my experience shows with them, and are similar in color, but not identical.

The mask is properly marked as I'd expect it to be and it has none of the Dutch suspect marks that the reissued ones had, it also comes from the south of Europe where it should have been used, also has an FE42 with it with an expected date of manufacture that checks out with the mask markings.

My concern is whether the mask could have been issued with the standard field green carrier that was seen on other fronts, as I'm always seeing the Tropen masks with overpainted grey or sand colored tubes, but not usually with normal tubes with their original paint undisturbed. Since the carrier is named, its important to me that the set is matching.

I'll send you some photos.

Cheers
Alex

Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 AM   #4
anmarlodz
Association Member

The last on the photo ( from viewers right is M30/31 canister - seen those dated 1934 or even 1933 so designation as M35 is incorrect), the first ( from viewers leff ) is M35 , the middle one is M36 ( not M38 as M38 are HIGH canisters ). In other words someone described the canisters wrongly.

The first canister was made shortly between 1935 and 1936 , while the middle model with spring catch was introduced in 1936 and made until 1938 when new high canister was introduced ( to fit the new M38 gasmask ). Those with D ( dichtung ) markings on the bottom are still M38 not M41 ( if you want to use other designation to distinguish them than please use M38/41 , and for those with new closure flattened on sides you can use M38/43 ).

The photos I have received from you in PM ( would be great if you could add them here as well ) are photos of commonly recognized M30 with postwar ( tan ) repaint for dutch civil defence ( canisters were often painted the same color and later grey overpainted and are quite easy to find ) ; you can find them in both M30 and M38 variants, but most avaible are M30 ( it should have a date stamp with month and year - usualy from 60/70-thies on the neck carrying straps ).

Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Uncle Goose

Hard to say without photographs, I know some people claim that certain tan canisters are automatically post war but I have proof in my collection they are not, the grey overpaint is indeed post war but the tan color has been done in war time. But yeah, pics would clear up much more.