wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

"Panther" confiscated in germany
Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Gran Sasso
Association Member

Default "Panther" confiscated in germany

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schle...nsfund124.html

Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
John Hodgin

What a handsome machine! Looks to be in excellent condition. Everyone should have one in their backyard!

And they are ruining the wheels!

Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
saar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Sasso View Post
The tank looks like it just came off the assembly line. Would be interesting to know what's gonna happen to it now.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
zundappuk

Hang on, isn't this the one found in a UK scrapyard bought by Herr Flick (seriously).
He restored it to running condition and kept it in his basement!!!

David

Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Willi Z.

No, he had this one since the '70s.

Seems like he has a good attorney already on the case. Authorities in Berlin searched his home for "stolen Nazi art" and then passed the case to the local authorities. The mayor of the town has known about the Panther since the owner used it during a snow storm in 1978.

I suspect much of this will depend on whether any of the weapons (especially the torpedo) was live. A pretty valuable pieces of armor based on the condition.

Preußens Gloria!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
JanC
Association Member

That is a sad story. Hope it will get a nice and safe place where it can be restored further. If this guy really bought this Panther from a scrapyard he really has put a lot of money and energy in it. Definitely the story of his life. Hope he will get it back

Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Asbjoern

Yes, its for sure the so called "Flick-Panther"!

Normally I´m not in conspiracy thingies ... but in this case it seems to be a bull**** session of the federal prosecutor ... Mr. Flick seems to be involved in dealing with Nazi art stolen from former Soviet bases in eastern Germany after the reunification - but there was not very much to blame on him so the now confiscate his collection looking for illegal details... Presenting the confiscation as great news to the press although everyboy willing to to was aware of the tanks existance ...

Jens

Edit says I was to slow with writing ... ;o)

Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
NickG
Association Member

It looks amazing for a salvaged scrap yard tank. Lots of work went into it! Did you guys notice the MG42 that was loaded up in the Police Van.
No doubt its the turret gun for this impressive beast!

Somebody local wrote that many people knew about its existence in that neighborhood for decades... to include the local police even...
An ambitious (overzealous) government prosecutor did this action. I have no doubt that the owner will get it all back...tank and torpedo...
(demilitarized equipment is legal) !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2620788745.jpg (96.3 KB, 1559 views)

Last edited by NickG; 07-02-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
pauke
Association Member

Most bizarre. Do armor and weapon collectors usually stash Nazi art as well? Have to wonder what the authorities "prevented" from happening?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanC View Post
That is a sad story. Hope it will get a nice and safe place where it can be restored further. If this guy really bought this Panther from a scrapyard he really has put a lot of money and energy in it. Definitely the story of his life. Hope he will get it back

I highly doubt it will be destroyed.....The government knows it's worth big money....I would have to believe it would be put up for public auction, should it not go back to it's current owner......There are numerous collectors with very deep pockets including some in the UK.....Bodes

Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
NickG
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
I highly doubt it will be destroyed.....The government knows it's worth big money....I would have to believe it would be put up for public auction, should it not go back to it's current owner......There are numerous collectors with very deep pockets including some in the UK.....Bodes
How could it go up for "public auction" if it was confiscated from the public (private party) in the first place?
Unless I guess the bidders have to meet the standards of a bonafide museums...strange case...
My gut tells me that he will get it all back in the end and they waisted a lot of tax payer funds and resources with this stunt removing it from private property...

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
How could it go up for "public auction" if it was confiscated from the public (private party) in the first place?
Unless I guess the bidders have to meet the standards of a bonafide museums...strange case...
My gut tells me that he will get it all back in the end and they waisted a lot of tax payer funds and resources with this stunt removing it from private property...
Where do you think the police get automobiles, weapons, and other confiscated items that they put up for public auction?...That's right, the public.....Bodes

Old 07-03-2015, 03:01 AM   #13
Varsity
Forum Sponsor

Let's hope they haven't caused to much damage to the Panther, and this guy gets his Panther back asap.

They just wanted all this media attention. If they had only the slightest idea that this Panther would be in still active condition, they could also sealed the place and investigate it. But no, they just made this theater and took the Panther out of the garage without tracks.... and now what.... they find out it is demilitarized and they can return it after all and pay for the damage, what a great way to spend tax money.

http://www.militariaplaza.nl

Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 AM   #14
me6_130
Association Member

Nice kitten. Usual police reaction, first they hit , then they ask. Were they afraid of the owner running away in the tank??
I asked local weapon authorities if it would be legal for me to own a tank.

-Yes, they said, -if it is properly deactivated

I guess I would have to register it with my Collector's License. For the moment I've got the two MGs...

Carles

Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Bob Carter
Association Member

Looks like they pulled an 88 out later in the night (what else lies down there ?) wonder who or what he did to piss off to get his house raided - as we move farther into this PC world I wonder how long until we all get raided for having "hate" related items.