wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Soldier research help, please. ?Lehr Div?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Ypern

Default Soldier research help, please. ?Lehr Div?

Hi,
I have just bought a Death/Memorial card commemorating a Panzerman called Georg Kirschenbauer. He was an Obergefr. in a Panzerregiment and had been awarded the EKII Ostmedaille and Panzerstrumabzeichen. The card states he was born in 1919 in Lohberg-hutte and died on the 14th June {no year recorded} in France.
I found his entry on the Volksbund website- http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche...7ee7e3fc0a7870

This sates he died in 1944, but not in France but in Greece. However, the place where he died is listed as Lingereros. I can't seem to find this place but think this might be a typo and should read Lingevres, which is in Normandy and would tie in with his date of death as the Panzer Lehr division lost a number of Tanks in that area on that day.

My question is, how do I take my research further? Would the Volksbund have access to original documents which would record his name and unit or place of death and is it worth contacting them, or is there any other way of finding out more?
I hope some of you might be able to give m some advice.
Thanks for looking

Old 10-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Ypern

I have sent an email to the Volksbund asking if they have additional details or to ask if they can check their records to see if the place of death has been mis-transcribed.
Is it likely that there would be a death notice in his local newspapers? Anyone have any other ideas on what to try next?

Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Ian Jewison

It states he is buried in Dionyssos-Rapendoza (Greece). Grave: Final Grave: Crypt 1 Plate 9 - Among the unknown

So its either not him....or he's not lost in France!

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Old 10-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Ypern

Hi Ian,
Yip, I know it says he is buried in Greece, but I cannot find a place in Greece called Lingereros. I have been searching all over the place, as I know the German's often had their own names for places. However, the only place I have found which is very similar is Lingevres in Normandy. His date of death ties in exactly when the heaviest fighting took place for this village. The fact his Death Card states he died in France is very interesting. I think there is a chance that he has been miss identified or someone with very similar details is buried in Greece.
I might try the 'Local' wartime newspapers for the part of Germany he was from. I have seen some death entries in German newspapers from the wartime period. This might shed some light on the matter.
I feel it is less likely that the family would put the wrong country of death on his memorial card, but without additional details it is impossible to say what really happened to him.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Ian Jewison

The initial info could have been incorrect. I have a Wehrpass to a Jagdflieger who was shot down in Russia in July 1941, however the initial letters and entry in Wehrpass did say lost over France!
That was in fact his previous unit a replacement Staffel he was with. A letter dated 1942 rectified that...I will try and did it out and see what his death card mentions.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Old 10-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Ian Jewison

Try writing to the Registration office with what info you know:

Einwohnermeldeamt Lohberg
Rathausweg 1
93470 Lohberg
Germany