wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Living History Forum

Living History Forum Discussions of battlefield sites, reenacting, veteran news, and all "current" historical events.

Berlin last defence : Brennte Erde-Defending the Reichstag
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
Carsten135
Association Member

Default Berlin last defence : Brennte Erde-Defending the Reichstag

hi all

The last battle of the 3 Reich was around defending the Reichstag, referring to history it was some of the hardest and grisly battle of Berlin and every inch did cost Lives.

In the last half of April, Berlin was surrounded and bombed with 7 million grenades. On April 27, Soviet soldiers moved into Berlin towards the Reichstag building. One army moved from the southeast through Frankfurter Alle to Alexanderplatz; From the south came another bye Sonnen Alle over Belle-Alliance-Platz at Hallesches Tor to Potsdamer Platz; and a north to the Reichstag building.The hardest fighting was at the Reichstag Building, Moltke Bridge, Alexanderplatz and the Havelbridge at Spandau. There was battle from house to house. Early in the morning of May 2, the Soviet forces took the Reichskanzlei and the Führerbunker. On the same day, the German forces capitulated throughout the city.

It is estimated that 81,000 Soviet soldiers died in the attack on Berlin, of whom 20,000 - 25,000 died in the struggles inside Berlin itself. In addition, 280,000 wounded. On the German side, the numbers are even more uncertain, but at least 150,000 German soldiers were killed and 134,000 were taken as prisoners of war. Another 150,000 civilians were killed. The total death rate is at least 485.000.

After the battle the ground on königsplatz was bulldozed over and left for many years just as a field whit no importance, fist after the reunion it became a hot spot again.

In 1997-8 one of my soldier buddy was a part of the construction team in berlin, and he found a MG/34 in the ground near the Moltke brücke ( bridge ) during the construction on königsplatz, its was pretty deep down properly ended up in a bomb crater and left for many years in the sandy soil, well he was military interested but not a collector, anyway he took it whit him home and did not know what to do whit it, so he gave it to my military company as a souvenir weapon and i remember holding it myself 20 years ago, listen to the story around it and hold such a historical item was just great history, it became a part of the sargent mess exebition for a couple of years.

We where relocated around 2002 to new facility and the MG ended up in the dark weapons bunker whit a military number for around 10 years and was forgotten again until the company was dissolved around 2011 beacurse of cutbacks, luckily my quartermaster was one of the team that cleared up the the bunker and instead of sending it to military maculation then he kept it privately for 7 more years, now hes over 70 and its " only getting in his way " so he gave it to me because he know me and my historical interest, normally i don't collect weapons or old rusty iron but this was for me not one i could historical pass.

When i analyses the weapon it gives me a dreadfully chill, it have done its job and shot all it could, and when they ran out of ammo the Germans soldiers did dismantle it them self which is normal military redraw tactic so your own weapon cant be turned against yourself, they trough away the 2 locks and extra pipes never to be found anymore, so the soldiers that served this weapon did the right thing. i can only imagine what was happening at the end of this barrel when it was in use.
The construction site is so heavenly rebuild that nothing is original anymore so this is imo the last leftover from the last battle site of the 3 Reich.

111-SC-208813.jpg

20130713_eup505.jpg

4bb47e2e774fe25f9fbac60f733b7a0b--reichstag-berlin-germany.jpg

1998 1.jpg

Last edited by Carsten135; 07-10-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Carsten135
Association Member

1413031256741_wps_3_DYFB6C_British_soldiers_s.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Carsten135
Association Member

mg-34.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Carsten135
Association Member

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
Carsten135
Association Member

truth-women-ww1-oo2.jpg

image-301838-galleryV9-qimo.jpg

Old 07-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
KLMKsunbunny

Thanks for sharing, its a piece I would love to have in my collection..!

But just to be clear, while the Reichstag was seen as an important target by Stalin, the fight for it was certainly not the "last battle of the 3rd Reich". There were several pockets of resistance around the city, and some defenders did not surrender their positions until several days after the 2nd.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Carsten135
Association Member

heya KLMKsunbunny

yes its quite a piece this one, and my plans is to bring it home to the museum it belongs too in Berlin but i am not that far in my plans because i only got the " burden " around 2 weeks ago during a reunion so lets see.

well the war end can always be discussable,- did it end whit Hitlers dead the 30 april or bye the 2 may on the same day, in the morning, General Helmuth Weidling capitulated with the last defenders of Berlin to negotiate with General Chuikov or do we speak of the official ending in karlshorst the 9 maj, well the Reichstag was more or less a symbolic victory, it was not in use and have not been that for a long period, you see the same madness in Hitlers obsession on taking Stalingrad just because it bear his name.

So for me the 3 Reich ended by capitulation from general Helmuth Weidling the same day, he was the last official keyholder of the 3 Reich, after the capitulation the where no 3 Reich left.
all the flaktowers was still firing 2 days after the capitulation, they simply didn`t know the war was over, and yes you are correct in that the drama didn`t ended that day it took weeks to flush all the fanatics out or people that simply could not accept a surrender.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
Tom B

Thank you for posting this ! VERY interesting !!! Tom

Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
M3A1Mats
Association Member

Great story Carsten, thanks for sharing! Battle for Berlin always intrigues me

-Mats

Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Bob Lyons
Association Member

What a find, and a great story too...

I was there in April of this year, one of the places I have always wanted to visit,
and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, although it wouldn't have been that way a tad over 70 years back.....

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Europe Trip, March - April 2018 1605.JPG (64.7 KB, 143 views)

Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Sigurd Helge
Association Member

Hi,

Just for the record, the ground recovered MG34 featured in this thread is a tank mount version ("panzerlauf") having the barrel sleeve without the usual ventilation holes of the infantry version. It could of course be fitted with a bipod for ground use as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panzerlauf.jpg (30.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Panzerlauf 2.jpg (25.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Panzerlauf 3.jpg (79.0 KB, 133 views)

"Truth? What is truth?"

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #12
Carsten135
Association Member

hi

Yes it looks very familiarly whit this model Panzerlauf too so outstanding observation Helge , it might have been a part of one of the vehicles or wrecks on the spot, and i can see its fitted for ground use because it still have the half of the bipod mounted on the front, the legs them self is rusted away sadly so maybe it have been used on one of the panzer vehicles first and when it got to "hot" in there then fitted for ground use, and also ended its lives there too would make sense to me.

Thanks for listening to its story

IMG_0554.jpg

Old 07-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
ironcross13

Cool piece of History.