wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #16
Funksammler

Interesting to see that the Fug 120 "Bernardine" might have been fitted as well. From what I can see the "Siebgerät" (SG120) and "Schreibverstärker" (SV 120) indeed appear to have the size of the U10 and EZ4 respectively, but I would be surprised that the F-numbers would intermingle with those of the FuG125. Is there any evidence of the FuG 120's Hell-printer having been fitted to the navigator's cockpit in the South African Me 262? It looks like the U120 base is identical to the U10S base, any evidence of that being present?

regards,

Funksammler

Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
piters77

Hello,
I noted various elements FuG 25, 125 and 120. Funksammler in the lower right corner it will be V3 for FuG 125? Well I think?
Defleuve, perhaps umformers been fixed where an empty space on a mounting plate?
[/URL]

Funksammler unfortunately, I have not seen pictures of Psh 120 in the cabin, the only thing I have is put below (American Me 262)

[/URL]

Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #18
Dufleuve

Hello,

Another interesting period pic exists of the rear cockpit.
In the cockpit place of the radio/radar operator, the right panel includes the following:
F373: the FBG2 for the EBL3
F380: LR 3a volume control for Fug125
F390: Spkf for the Fug120
F396: Unidentify, partially hidden by the seat. Can only see a switch on top.

Seems to confirm both Fug125 and 120 were installed, using the same EBL3 as receiver.
An interesting cabling nightmare when you look at pictures

Cheers

Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 AM   #19
Dufleuve

Hello,

Another interesting period pic exists of the rear cockpit.
In the cockpit place of the radio/radar operator, the right panel includes the following:
F373: the FBG2 for the EBL3
F380: LR 3a volume control for Fug125
F390: Spkf for the Fug120
F396: Unidentify, partially hidden by the seat. Can only see a switch on top.

Seems to confirm both Fug125 and 120 were installed, using the same EBL3 as receiver.
An interesting cabling nightmare when you look at pictures

Cheers

Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Funksammler

From what I can gather from photographs available on the web, the Spkf for the FuG 120 is mounted on the right hand side of the forward control panel, it still seems to be in place. The Spkf on the right hand panel is probably for the FuG16zy. The Bernardine printer could be the larger HS120 (which could be the box shaped object mounted in the canopy) or the smaller Psh120 which I would expect to be mounted lower down somewhere. It has a small mounting frame supported by four buffers so you would be looking for four holes roughly in a square....

regards,

Funksammler

Old 10-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufleuve View Post
Hello,

The "U10E" frame is indeed "SGF120" for the Bernardine. If you look closely it has a pin mounted (Sperrstift) on the top left of the frame. This was to avoid a U10E being fitted by accident. Also the "EZ4" frame is indeed for the Bernardine "Schreibverstärker" with the "Verteilerdose" VD120 underneath. You can see the frames in this document: https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio...rde-jpn-44.pdf

regards,

Funksammler

Old 10-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #22
Dufleuve

FS,

Same conclusions.
Found the cockpit picture.
Front : the fug16 controls
Middle: LR3 and FBG2
Rear: Spkf (fug120) and ?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #23
Funksammler

The EBl 3 receiver performs three different functions, as a blind landing receiver (LandeFunkFeuer or LFF mode) as a navigational receiver for the FuG 120 "Bernardine" and as a navigational receiver for the FuG 125 "Hermine". One of the Spkf switches is to swithc between LFF and Bernardine, but there must be an additional switch to switch between de "Bernardine" and "Hermine" so perhaps this is the switch box F396 or F390. I can not realy tell if the pushbutton switch is of the lockable type or not, I guess it would have to be lockable to be the one that switches between the systems. Not sure yet what the second switch would be, perhaps this was used to switch the "Hermine" receiver between audio mode and visual mode. I am not quite sure which visual indicator the Zug 125 commanded and how they would convert a spoken course into a usefull indication. There seems to be a strange round light fitted next the the FuG16 frame on the right, perhaps this had someting to do with it...

regards,

Funksammler

Last edited by Funksammler; 10-20-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #24
Dufleuve

Hello folks,

I just got a RSV120 frame from Ebay. Pretty battered, no flat cables present, but otherwise complete. Will post pics when cleaned up a bit.

Looking at the backplane, I really wonder if wood only is used. There are grounding loops connecting frames to the backplanes and backplanes together. Could it be a thin soft steel plate fixed on plywood ? Hence what looks like surface rust on the backplanes.

Cheers

Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #25
Hellschreiber

Hello,

here is the response I got 6 years ago from the museum in South Africa:

"Your enquiry was forwarded to the Ditsong National Museum of Military History (previously known as the South African National Museum of Military History).

An example of a Me 262 B-1a/U1 two-seater night fighter is located at the Museum. It bears the identification number ‘Red 8’ and the werk nummer 110305. The aircraft was equipped with the FuG 120a Bernhardine which received coded information about the relative position of the fighter to an enemy bomber force. The information was relayed from a Bernhard ground station on a mini teleprinter set. This equipment, along with many of the other original instruments, was removed from the aircraft by the Royal Air Force prior to it being shipped to South Africa in 1947. "

Hellschreiber

www.nonstopsystems.com
www.hellschreiber.com

Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #26
Hellschreiber

In Piotr's message #16 of 10-18-2016 in this thread, there is a cross-sectional diagram with equipment mounting frames on a bulkhead, and a color photo with the same mounting frames mounted on the fuselage. Does this mean that there were two Me262 installation configurations for FuG120?

Frank

Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #27
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellschreiber View Post
In Piotr's message #16 of 10-18-2016 in this thread, there is a cross-sectional diagram with equipment mounting frames on a bulkhead, and a color photo with the same mounting frames mounted on the fuselage. Does this mean that there were two Me262 installation configurations for FuG120?

Frank
It appears to be. The design drawing does not leave any space for the FuG25, so there must have been a second panel in the design documents somewhere. Not uncommon, when I was researching the Fug16 configurations in late war Messerschmitts I came across different variations of the radio panel in design documents, the reality in surviving aircraft usually being different again...

It underlines the increasingly chaotic supply and manufacturing conditions towards the end of the war and the incomplete documentation we have on the applications of these late war systems. Hat off for finding the Fug120 document, I still have to see something similar on the FuG 125 (The NASM library holds some documents, but I never pursued these any further). I am still fascinated what visual indicator was used with the Hermine, so far I have found no clues...

regards,

Funksammler

Old 02-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #28
Dufleuve

Hello,

I recently got hold of a paper copy the FuG125 manual from NASM library. Describes its setup and working with FuG16. No reference to FuG120. No pictures either of the ZVG125, but according to the cabling schema, it is directly linked to the AFN2.

Cheers

Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #29
Dufleuve

I now wonder if the AZG3 (later called ZVG125) could be the partially hidden box on the operator right panel. The switch on top would allow having either the FuG16 or FuG125 use the AFN2 instrument.

Hs120
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #30
Hellschreiber

Default Hs120

@ Dufleuve: I wouldn't expect to see the FuG120 system mentioned in the FuG125 manual, even if both were used in combination with EBL3...

Just added some more pix of an HS120 printer to the HS120 section of my FuG120 webpage.