wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #46
Satcong101

Looking absolutely fantastic

cabling....
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #47
Funksammler

Default cabling....

I wanted to fix the inside wall panels, before this can be done the electrical cabling has to be fitted first. First of all the front right panel holds the "Schaltkasten (Fu) b" which will connect the transmitter power supply to the battery and allows the charging generator to be connected. So battery cables between the car battery, the radio battery and the "Schaltkasten (Fu) b" had to be fitted, holes cut in the panels at the appropriate places and the "Schaltkasten (Fu) b" fitted to the panel:

photo DSC07546_zpsr1ubzf2k.jpg

the front left panel does not require any cabling work (other than the antenna counterpoise wires fitted earlier), but the panel does support the mounting frame for the E.U.a power supply for the receiver. The frame is mounted on rubber vibration buffers. A power cable will run to one of the 12 V sockets on the left rear panel:

photo DSC07544_zpswsbsf2gi.jpg

The left rear panel contains two 12 V Bosch sockets, a earthing socket and hides the wires running from the Telepohone connection to the rear of the car. The earthing runs via separate wires from the - battery, even though both the - and earth get connected to the chassis. All cables have a metal outer layer which also get earthed in an effort to keep all RF currents separated from the power supply system. Also the connecting plate for the antenna and the connection block for the counterpoise were fitted:

photo DSC07545_zpsy8rmoo38.jpg

Three cables run from the left- to the right rear panel (+, - and earth) to connect to the sockets there. The interconnection cables will eventually be fitted to the bulkhead:

photo DSC07547_zpsestkiv6q.jpg

I only had three sockets with Bosch logo left, so I had to fit a mis-matching late war version for now. If anybody has a Bosch socket with logo the spare, let me know!

With all the cables fitted and equipment screwed on the side panels, the panels were nailed in place (the only parts not screwed in place as far as I can tell from the original remains....)

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #48
Funksammler

I thought I would do some work on the forward cabin and fit the seats as they currently take up a lot of space in my garage. The two front seats are the same metal frame versions as were used in the open Kfz 15 version:

photo DSC07562_zps15lferxg.jpg

The driver seat is fitted on sliding rails so that it can be adjusted forward or backwards, the passenger seat has a fixed position. The seat frames are clamped to the rails that are fitted to floor so that they can easily be removed. The seat frames carry the seat springs to which the seat cushions will later be fitted:

photo DSC07556_zps2o9mli2y.jpg

A detailed shot from the driver's side shows how the seat is clamped to the the mounting rail. Also a small inspection hatch can be seen under the driver seat. The hatch gives access to the fill the oil in the transfer gearbox. You can also see two wooden profiles running between the rails, these are to hold the toolbox in place that fit under each front seat:

photo DSC07557_zpsvzdfbpjr.jpg

I can now sit in my Kfz 17/1. Note the orignal Wehrmacht "spring joy" pattern seat cushions....

photo DSC07555_zpsfex1ssyq.jpg

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #49
Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post

I can now sit in my Kfz 17/1. Note the orignal Wehrmacht "spring joy" pattern seat cushions....
From where on earth/hell did you find those and in such a condition?!?

Old 08-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #50
Funksammler

It took me years to find, but finally a dealer contacted me. He told me it was straigth form a Vet's family but it was realy the Wa.A stamps that convinced me they were the real deal....

regards,

Funksammler

Floor hatch
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #51
Funksammler

Default Floor hatch

A bit of a slow week this week. Had a few days of rain (very welcome for the garden after many weeks drought) and spend some time going over the cars with a fellow Kfz 17 restorer.

Just enough time to finish the passenger side floor hatch. As usual quite a complex assembly, why do anything simple?.... The basic shape is made of a wooden panel (20 mm plywood). A prominent "bulge" forms a lid over the batterty compartment:

photo DSC07574_zpsr3iyo5b2.jpg

I am not sure why they needed the raised "bulge" over the battery as it sits low enough in the battery box underneath to fit under a flat floor. I suspect it had something to do with the winterising kit, when insulation and a small heater could be used to keep the battery warm. The hatch is fitted with a typical German hatch lock. You can turn it to unlock and lift the hatch by the ring:

photo DSC07575_zpsjexipurs.jpg

Part of the hatch is covered in the anti slip profile steel plate in the typical German pattern. Only the front floor panels are covered in this dimple plate, the floor in the back is left uncovered wood. The panel fits and locks in place in front of the passenger seat:

photo DSC07576_zpsvx6dwvpq.jpg

The only thing left to fit is waterproof felt around the edges, so that the hatch fits snugly and rattle free in the bottom.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #52
philip turland

not seen this thread before - outstanding work well done

more updates please

Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #53
Funksammler

A trip abroad and exceptionally hot weather slowed things down a bit this week, but I managed to get two jobs out of the way. Firstly I fitted the oil filter to the engine. The oil filter is a replica outer shell in which modern filter cartridges can be placed. Originally the complete filter had to be replaced, now it can simply be opened up and the cartridge inside it can be replaced. I made a temporary bracket until I can find either an original or good replica one:

photo DSC07582_zpskzrx0ctn.jpg

The filter has three connections, one still has to be connected, this goes to the oil pressure gauge on the dashboard.

The second job involved the metal cover over the dashboard. The cover still needed some work before it could be fitted. The cover is fitted to the wooden body of the vehicle while the dashboard is connected to the firewall and chassis. When driving, scuttle shake can cause quite a lot of relative movement between the dashboard and the body, so the cover protects against hands getting caught:

photo DSC07584_zpswc8vrx3s.jpg

Note the hole on the top on the right hand side, this was for the cable supplying the two windscreen wiper motors. Interestingly, this cable was fitted on the driver side in my other car, here it is clearly fitted on the passenger side.

The cover also supports the grab handle for the front passenger:

photo DSC07585_zpsqy5si2se.jpg

Like all other parts, the cover is screwed onto the wooden body. Keen observers will notice a pair of yet unused holes near the left and right ends of the cover. These are for the top rifle brackets which will be fitted later.

photo DSC07586_zpsbp5bttfe.jpg

The area above the cover will hold the windscreen adjustment mechanism which will also be fitted at a later date.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #54
Funksammler

It is always nice if you have an original example of the parts that need to be fabricated. This is the case with the floor panels in the rear of the car. I had already cut and fitted the panels, it took a further three days work to detail the panel.

Here are some pictures of the original and copied panels side by side:

photo DSC07587_zpsuo7lfjmk.jpg

photo DSC07588_zpsqbyb0rfe.jpg

photo DSC07590_zps6l8nxd8d.jpg

photo DSC07589_zpswrofnyq1.jpg

The panels contain a number of brackets and attachments to hold the rear seats and the boxes that are stored inside the rear seats. The detail would be impossible to determine from period photographs so I was very fortunate to find original and complete panels. Also note the two bottom supports for the rifles placed between the two seats.

The panel covers part of the fuel tank and rear differential:

photo DSC07591_zpsla20cpr2.jpg

Finally, the cover fitted in place:

photo DSC07593_zps3e8vwong.jpg

photo DSC07595_zpsa9rpqpqa.jpg

We had a bit of a cloudburst so I needed to hurry and finish my work today, I did not even let the paint dry properly before taking these pictures! In any case, a perfect fit and well pleased with the result!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #55
Bern

Wonderful workmanship, a true masterpiece in the making. Looking forward to seeing the completed project. Is there some type of protective liner in the original rifle buttstock cups?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #56
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Wonderful workmanship, a true masterpiece in the making. Looking forward to seeing the completed project. Is there some type of protective liner in the original rifle buttstock cups?
They will have a rubber stopper on the bottom and the metal rim will be covered in leather. I will fit this towards the end of the restoration otherwise there is a chance that the leather gets damaged when working around it. One of the infinite number of jobs still to do!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #57
Val

Funksammler, what's the current count on the screws?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #58
Funksammler

1123, 1124, s%$t I lost count! There are about 60 screws (+ about 60 nails) in this one panel. Total must be coming up to 1200!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 09-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #59
benfkt

WAOUH !!! this an over the top restoration !!

Thanks to share it.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #60
Terry K.
Association Member

Your work and the progress is just fantastic!