wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #136
roger_m

OK an Einheits mPkw could operate while in motion, but was it really feasible? I mean with all the vibrations and terrible noise in a Horch, is it really possible to get proper communication particularly when the vehicle is off road? Did you try it already?

Do you know if good interior/detail photos of Funk 830s are available somewhere? I can not find any good ones to see how there really were. Here some pics in Spain, which what looks like a "fixed' antenna...

Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #137
Funksammler

The atenna on those photos is the Steckmast, which could be fitted to a bracket on the rear of the car. You can see one of the remaining Steckmast sections stored on the running board.

There are a few interior pictures of the old type Kfz 17 in the D-manual, not very clear but they give a reasonable idea of the layout. Not enough detail to base a reconstruction on though... I will try to post some interior pictures later, at the moment photobucket it playing up...

Operating the Kfz 17 on the move is feasible, at least you can listen to the radio quite easily, especially when using the Dfh.b. (if it works in tanks it certainly works in the Kfz 17!). Giving an accurate morse signal on the move would be more of a challenge, I guess with the morse key stabilised on the leg, a trained operator could still get a reasonable speed I would expect. Operating the Enigma would probably be a bit of a challenge in rough terrain, but on a reasonable road it should be manageable.

The radio car would have to stop at some point anyway, so that the radio message could be passed to the commander in the column or to a motorcycle messenger so I suspect they would have preferred to stop the car if a message came in.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #138
Funksammler

Here are a few interior pics:

photo e67_zpsbq3wxv6w.jpg

You can see the operators in the reverse position, you can see their backrests fixed to the back of the front seats. They are operating the typical Fu 9 SE 5 with the E445bs receiver. You can see a Midgard lamp fitted to the left wall, the use of these lamps was not typical in the later Kfz 17.

photo _57_zpsohiu8pjo.jpg

This second snap gives a clearer picture of the radio setup, you can see the U5 power supply under the table. The crew have packed their gasmasks next to the receiver, more typically the reserve coils for the E445 Bs were kept there. You can just about see the antenna connection above the 5 W.S. and the Funkeruhr placed against the back wall. You can clearly see how the external storage lockers protrude into the vehicle behind the radios.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #139
roger_m

Thanks I knew that last picture. Really no other interior views known of the Funk 830s? That's surprising. And I assume then they were not shielded at all? So Entstört nach Gruppe III like any other regular army vehicle? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #140
Funksammler

Unfortunately not many photos were taken of radio car interiors, that goes for the Kfz 17 and even more so for its pre-war variant.

As a radio vehicle it would have had the stricter "Entstörung nach Gruppe I" with filters and shielded ignition etc.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #141
Yuri D.
Association Member

Love your progress with this vehicle. I check the thread daily for new content. Very interesting. Thank you FS.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #142
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri D. View Post
Love your progress with this vehicle. I check the thread daily for new content. Very interesting. Thank you FS.
I wish I could progress the project so fast I could report daily updates! The reality is a bit slower but I will try to update at least weekly!

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #143
Funksammler

Still a few body parts missing, in particular the right front mudguard and right side storage box.

The storage box needed some work, some of the fittings to hold the cable cutter were not correct and had to be replaced with originals. The hinges of the lid were also broken so I had to make new ones to replace these. After removing the old paint and fitting the hinges the box was starting to take shape:

And now with the correct fittings for the wire cutter:

Finally on the car:

Some of you may have spotted that the right front mudguard is no longer missing, I received it back with the tin rot repaired, still a bit dented in places you can see it has had a hard life:

More on the bodywork later, but at least now both the storage boxes are fitted to the vehicle again.

regards,

Funksammler

Last edited by Funksammler; 07-02-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #144
Funksammler

It seems photobucket does no longer allow third party hosting, so I can no longer post pictures the way I used to. I will have to do some research to find another free hosting service. Oh well, that is 10 years of post images wiped out...

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #145
Funksammler

After a bit of experimentation, it seems that imgur images seem to work, at least from this end the pictures appear in the thread. Quite a lot of clicking on screen involved to create the links so I will try out some alternatives. Obviously we remain at the mercy of the picture hosting site, as sooner or later they too will probably take my library hostage and charge exorbitant amounts of money (like photobucket is currently trying) for picture sharing functionality.

I would also urge the owners of Wehrmacht-Awards.com to review their picture hosting policy as it clearly hinders the free exchange and retention of information. A free picture hosting policy might just slow the bleeding of membership and content to the likes of Facebook.

In any case, I am reposting my previous pictorial progress report on the Kfz17/1 with (hopefully) visible pictures embedded...

Still a few body parts missing, in particular the right front mudguard and right side storage box.

The storage box needed some work, some of the fittings to hold the cable cutter were not correct and had to be replaced with originals. The hinges of the lid were also broken so I had to make new ones to replace these. After removing the old paint and fitting the hinges the box was starting to take shape:

And now with the correct fittings for the wire cutter:

Finally on the car:

Some of you may have spotted that the right front mudguard is no longer missing, I received it back with the tin rot repaired, still a bit dented in places you can see it has had a hard life:

More on the bodywork later, but at least now both the storage boxes are fitted to the vehicle again.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #146
Funksammler

There are a number of important milestones in any restoration, and the first time that all the bodywork is on the car is certainly one! So here are the first pictures with both mudguards on:

I could not resist fitting the headlights to give the car it's "face", for the first time the car is looing like a car again:

Obvioiusly still some work to do on the steelwork, next face will be the dreaded filling and sanding, at least to get the worst dings and dents out:

I am pleased with the way the car is turning out, what do you think?

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #147
Yuri D.
Association Member

Like you have a time machine :-)

Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #148
Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post

I am pleased with the way the car is turning out, what do you think?
Absolutely wonderful!