wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #46
Billy Naylor

Hello. I am putting together a collection of field phones with the hope/intention of organizing a reenactment field phone service. I have 6 WW2 german phones and some postwar equipment but also have a complete set-up with US equip. I have about 15 EE-8 US field phones and 2 SB-22 switchboard kits. Recently acquired 2 B-71 WW2 switchboards. I really need a german switchboard and any help I can get.
Thanks, Billy

Last edited by Billy Naylor; 08-12-2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: update

Old 08-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #47
DJGlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri D. View Post
First, I would like to discover who collects communication equipment. Please let me know who you are, and what you've got?

Thanks,

Yuri
Hello Yuri - I have two field phones - but I'm trying to make some Wehrmacht repro radios for living history reenactment. I'm trying to put modern radios inside period shells - so I'm after boxes and front panels. Can I ask what you have or whether you can help me?
Regards
Darrin (Australia)
DJGlen@bigpond.com

Last edited by Yuri D.; 04-07-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
Russky Spy

I collect field telephones. As a (primarily) WWII Soviet reenactor, I concentrate on collecting Soviet field equipment for use and display during events. I use the loose category "Soviet" to include actual Soviet manufacture, US Lend-Lease and captured equipment.

I have a dozen US EE8 field phones; nine are leather-bagged EE8A or EE8B phones, as these are virtually indistinguishable from the 300,000 phones supplied to Russia through the Lend-Lease program. (The Russian phones were slightly wider, with a larger internal battery compartment -- one of the men in my group has one of the original Russian Lend-Lease phones; I have not been so lucky). I believe 7 of the EE8 phones are currently in full working order. I have to reevaluate the full inventory for an event in three weeks, and will probably have most all of them in full working condition.

I have three Russian TAI-43 phones in bakelite cases; these are post-war manufacture (1951). I plan to transplant the guts of one or two of these phones into period-correct wooden boxes, but this is a herculean task requiring a high degree of precision woodworking, so I keep postponing it.

Many original photos of Soviet phones in the field show the practice of having a TAI-43 next to a US EE8A Lend-Lease phone. So I try to replicate that when possible - two phones next to each other in the Command Tent, in Forward Observation Posts, etc. This also allows me to run separate phone networks without the use of a switchboard. Each of these networks is, naturally, a "party line." (And, yes, we have already come up with dozens of "Communist Party Line" jokes.)

I also have bakelite-cased postwar Hungarian (2) and Czechoslovakian TP-25 (3) phones. From a distance, these are similar in appearance to the German FF-33, but if the public gets close enough, they can see that "THE ENEMY IS LISTENING" is engraved, not in German, but in Hungarian and Czech. So these phones are reserved for use in remote areas out of the public eye. But they work!

I also have a German cable backpack, onto which I have spooled vintage (cloth-covered) phone wire.

In addition to the above, I have a few period desk phones, one of which I have successfully wired to work (sound only) with when connected to a field phone network -- I needs to wire a separate power supply for voice, but just have not gotten around to it yet. I still have to play with the others - I plan to change the printed face of one of the dial phones to the letters that appeared on Russian phones.

But have you communication-enthsiast reenactors seen the Bluetooth retro handset? This is an old-style telephone handset - identical to the desk phone handsets of WWII - with a Bluetooth unit wired inside (available from thinkgeek.com; search their site for "retro bluetooth handset"). I removed the handset from a 1939 Stromberg-Carlson desk phone, taped some black aquarium tubing from the base set to the bluetooth handset (to replicate the missing wire), applied a small piece of black electrical tape over teh flashing blue light, and can make REAL telephone calls during a WWII reenactment without ruining the period ambience. I know of a WAC reenactor who carries one of these inside an EE8 bag. It would probably fit nicely inside an FF-33, and you can tuck your bonded cell phone inside the battery compartment!

I am in the Chicago area, and we have a WWII event in three weeks (Midway Village, Rockford, IL - billed to be the largest reenactment in the Midwest). Just last Saturday I spent the day running commo wire through the woods from our (Soviet) campsite past Allied camps (with a couple phone drops on the way) and hooked back to a line that runs through the miniature vintage "village" back to Event Headquarters. This will serve as a real answer to address the lack of reliable fast communication to Event HQ in the case of an emergency. (And I will run separate phone lines within camp for us to communicate only with each other)

I also have a bunch of other stuff too mundane to list here (vintage tools for field phone hook-up; Cold War Soviet TA-57 transistorized field phone, etc., etc.)

I don't have a switchboard yet, but plan to pick up a US BD-71, as well as construct an authentic Soviet Field Switchboard (this was, quite literally, a bunch of terminals connected to a simple wooden block).

Okay -- that's a lot in one post, but I had something to share for this topic.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #49
Yuri D.
Association Member

It would be great to see photos of your collection.

Yuri

Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #50
Russky Spy

Photographs of my collection will be posted soon, as requested...

Uboat radio room
Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #51
eaj1es

Default Uboat radio room

hello all
Yuri, my collection area is Uboat related technique and radio gear

kindly regards

Alex

http://community.webshots.com/user/eaj1es

http://ag727.vox.com/

and my radio room still in work:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=6eqcDMMH_pc

Last edited by eaj1es; 09-17-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: addenda

Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #52
Jan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaj1es View Post
hello all
Welcome, Alex to the WAF!

Alex and me are friends for more years in U-Historia Forum also....

Jan.

Joining the party
Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #53
Funksammler

Default Joining the party

Hi Yuri,

I finally managed to get registered after reading the forum for quite some time.

I have quite an extensive collection of german communications and technical equipment, my passion is to complete the installations with all their "Zubehoer" like cables, frames, antenna's etc.

Whereas a lot of folks kept expensive looking equipment like radio's after the war, Zubehoer was seen as rubbish and was often thrown away or used for other purposes, so quite a challenge to find these days. I often find myself restoring a clump of rust and mud into a mounting frame or antenna part!

I also like studying the documentation, I am especially interested finding out the tactical use of the equipment. One of the gems in my collection is a nearly complete Luftwaffe Funkvorschrift describing things from duties of radio personnel, the proper conduct of radio transmissions, Q-codes to the use of paperwork.

Due to a busy career taking me all over the world my collection is currently all over the place, but in the next few years I am hoping to bring everything together, build some nice displays of equipment and test some of it in realistic conditions.

Funksammler

Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #54
Russky Spy

I have been slow in posting photos of my communications equipment, but that's because I have not taken the photos yet!

In the meantime, I am posting three photos from a presentation I conducted on "WWII Soviet field phone" use during our (Soviet) unit's Winter Training event (January 2009). We held information and training seminars inside a heated barn (concurrent with seminars held by an SS Wiking group in another barn), then engaged in multi-hour tacticals against the Germans.

In this first photo (I am calling attention to the "period" labels on the batteries inside the EE8A), you can see my brand-new BD-71 switchboard. These items were shipped by the Americans to the Soviets under the Lend-Lease program.

To the far right in this photo, you can see my "Soviet" field switchboard. This is actually a vintage (U.S.) hotel switchboard, which I am converting to have Russian-language markings. And despite my extensive experience with these phones, just after this photo was taken, I made the amateur mistake of grounding the leads with my hand while cranking the dynamo, and shocking the hell out of myself. It sure woke up my audience.

This final photo shows a few more of the phones I had for display - on the floor, and on the table to the far right (additional ones are out of the frame). These included one sample of each type of military field phone I own (most listed in a previous post) as well as a few WWII-era desk phones and some post-war communications equipment. I did not drag along my entire collection - these representative ones were enough to illustrate my presentation.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #55
Yuri D.
Association Member

Welcome!!! Our forum is under-represented with respect to Soviet WWII equipment so it would be good to have an expert here to answer questions and teach us about it. Do you have the badly-titled book called "Krasniye Ushi" (Red Ears)?

Yuri

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #56
Russky Spy

I do not have that book (but thanks for the lead!).

And I am far from an expert on the subject of Soviet communications, although I have been researching the topic for well over a year. My presentation was mostly an oral report based on the research paper I wrote on the subject -- but more research is needed.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #57
svdwal

Hi All,

See attached some pics of my ever growing collection.

10 watt sender C undergoing restauration.
Attached is a original power supply.

Alltough taken 4 weeks back, these pictures are in fact allready old.
I sold my Torn E.b which was destroyed internally after the war and couldn't be restored.
Also did i finally managed to by a KlFuSpr. D.

Regards,

Sjoerd

Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #58
Mat Holloway

wow some nice pieces there, thanks for showing

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #59
fieldgear

Hi svdwal

Very nice collection! I never realised how big the Kw.E.a. is until you see the Torn. Eb. sitting on top !!!

My radio collection is growing slowly with only a Torn. Eb, Dorette & a Feld. Fu. b. that is still on its way to me.

Dont suppose you have a spare case laying around for a Torn Eb ??

Best,..Rob

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #60
svdwal

Thanks,

The Kw E.a is a montrous thing.
When i collected it i thought it couldn't be that big and heavy.

I'm sorry, no spare case for the Torn E.b, but a friend of me is maken repro ones at this moment.
Not cheap, but near perfect they have to cost €.600,-

If interested i coould try to get some pictures, i saw it myuself last week and was impressed.

My main wishes at this moment are a Torn Fu G. and a torn D2 or B1.

If someone has one for sale or knows something i would like to hear.
Good prices paid for the right stuff.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd