wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Unknown backbag, Nachrichtentornister ? with F
Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
ROB69
Association Member

Default Unknown backbag, Nachrichtentornister ? with F

Hello everyone, a collector friend of mine have these backbag in his collection. Anybody knows something about it. Never seen a badge with a F on this kind of Tornister. Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks and best Regards from Germany

Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16522395_1374453472625676_1742781578_o.jpg (82.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 16491503_1374460002625023_895403020_o.jpg (120.5 KB, 143 views)

Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Funksammler

Never seen one with an F on it, it also seems to have different straps. Are there any other markings (dates, makers etc.) on the backback. The interior you are showing, is that the "F" or the "2" backpack?

regards,

Funksammler

Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
ROB69
Association Member

Hello Funksammler,

I attached a Pic. If you couldn`t read it (The quality is not good) Max Müller, Nürnberg, The writing in the middle I couldn`t read too ( I think something like Lederwarenfabrik) , 1934 and a Reichswehr Abnahmestempel.
Interesting Piece, but I found nothing in my whole documents and manuals. And all collectors I asked, have no Idea about it.

Gruß

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post
Never seen one with an F on it, it also seems to have different straps. Are there any other markings (dates, makers etc.) on the backback. The interior you are showing, is that the "F" or the "2" backpack?

regards,

Funksammler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16468918_1374459992625024_1139950553_n.jpg (23.5 KB, 114 views)

Old 02-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
Funksammler

Given it's early date and some of it's features, I think it is a transisional model between the first world war type and the second world war type "Fernsprechtornister". In the mid 1930's, the rapidly expanding army re-designed and trialled various new bits of communication equipment, so my guess is that this Fernsprechtornister was manufactured for one of these trials.

The big difference between the first and second world war types is that the main flap opens downwards rather than upwards (so that the equipment in the backback can be removed and stored while the backpack is being worn, something that is more difficult in the WW1 type). The backpack under discussion has the new flap arrangement, but still uses the simple closing straps used on the WW1 type. This was probably found too weak during the trials and changed subsequently.

The use of the "F" was probably also part of this trial, but it was decided to revert back to the numbered backpacks used in WW1.

Major trials of the new radio equipment took place around 1935 where new types like the Torn.Fu.b and Torn.Fu.d were tested. These sets themselves were rejected and developed further as a result of these trials, leading to the Torn.Fu.b1 and Torn.Fu.d2 we all know. It would not surprise me if similar experiments were done with new telephone equipment.

This is obviously only a theory, it would be interesting if any corroborating evidence could be found from the trials.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
ROB69
Association Member

Thanks for your opinion and the intersting Theory. Than the F stand for Fernmelde or Fernsprech. An interesting and reasonable Theory. But until we see more Pieces from this area or a Manual like a HDV with a F Tornister (I have some books like Nachrichtenfibel from these aera, with the "normal Fernsprechtornister) we will only guess. But thanks for your answer and Theory. Perhaps anybody knowas more and will tell us.

Gruß

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post
Given it's early date and some of it's features, I think it is a transisional model between the first world war type and the second world war type "Fernsprechtornister". In the mid 1930's, the rapidly expanding army re-designed and trialled various new bits of communication equipment, so my guess is that this Fernsprechtornister was manufactured for one of these trials.

The big difference between the first and second world war types is that the main flap opens downwards rather than upwards (so that the equipment in the backback can be removed and stored while the backpack is being worn, something that is more difficult in the WW1 type). The backpack under discussion has the new flap arrangement, but still uses the simple closing straps used on the WW1 type. This was probably found too weak during the trials and changed subsequently.

The use of the "F" was probably also part of this trial, but it was decided to revert back to the numbered backpacks used in WW1.

Major trials of the new radio equipment took place around 1935 where new types like the Torn.Fu.b and Torn.Fu.d were tested. These sets themselves were rejected and developed further as a result of these trials, leading to the Torn.Fu.b1 and Torn.Fu.d2 we all know. It would not surprise me if similar experiments were done with new telephone equipment.

This is obviously only a theory, it would be interesting if any corroborating evidence could be found from the trials.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB69 View Post
Hello everyone, a collector friend of mine have these backbag in his collection. Anybody knows something about it. Never seen a badge with a F on this kind of Tornister. Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks and best Regards from Germany

Roger
These 2 are tornisters of signaler/telephonist team (3-4 men). So, commander wears "F" or no letter, remainings wear numbers 1 2 and/or 3. In such compartments as shown at figure 3, wire coils were worn. I forgot where I read that, sorry ((
best regards, Russia

Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
These 2 are tornisters of signaler/telephonist team (3-4 men). So, commander wears "F" or no letter, remainings wear numbers 1 2 and/or 3. In such compartments as shown at figure 3, wire coils were worn. I forgot where I read that, sorry ((
best regards, Russia
Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum.

The original question was particularly about the "F" marked backpack as the 1, 2, 3 numbered ones are well documented (for example in Dienstvorschrift D700).

The "F" backpack however is not common and is not documented in German manuals or documentation, so it remains a bit of a mystery... You can also see that certain details on the "F" backpack like the straps are different from the 1,2,3 marked ones, it appears to be an evolutionary model between the WW1 and WW2 signals backpack.

If you found any documentation specifically on the "F" backpack that could help solve the mystery, that would certainly be interesting!

regards,

Funksammler