wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

"Adolf Hitler" und "Deutschland Erwacht" Cigaretten Bücher
Old 04-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
Chip Hopkins

Default "Adolf Hitler" und "Deutschland Erwacht" Cigaretten Bücher

Does anyone know anything about the Cigaretten Bücher?

I have one, "Deutschland Erwacht" (Germany Awakes) with the glossy individual photos attached inside. From 1933, with Jacket nicely intact and the buch itself is Mint/Near Mint. Any idea what it might be worth? If anyone is interested, I can take Fotos and post.

I can buy a different Cigaretten Buch from the same dealer (I met at a show), but am not sure what these things are really worth and whether they are rare as he states.

The one I can purchase is "Adolf Hitler", also with the glossy fotos attached, all present and in decent shape, Near Mint, no Jacket and a stain on the cover, I don't know the year, but if I recall, is probably 1933 - 36. I've seen this buch once in person...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

See fotos below:

Many thanks,

Chip Hopkins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.H. 5.jpg (74.2 KB, 830 views)
File Type: jpg A.H. 4.jpg (65.9 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg A.H. 3.jpg (73.3 KB, 828 views)
File Type: jpg A.H. 2.jpg (60.3 KB, 830 views)

Last edited by ChipH; 04-07-2004 at 11:33 PM.

Old 04-08-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
jazz24ffm

hi,

i think market value is about 85$ (+/-).

hope this helps

Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
ramon
Association Member

These are pretty basic books for any collection of such material. Priinted in the nearly 2 million range each, they are not rare. Condition will vary widely. So do prices.

I've bought them recently for as little $35-50.00 each. Have seen some go for $150 each. As common as they are, you want to go for condition. If you can get the book jacket and the Schuber so much the better. Do not buy a copy if it is damaged or missing pictures. Again, the titles are too common to buy a less than excellent condition example.

Cheers,

Ramon

Old 04-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Chip Hopkins

Thanks guys! That sounds reasonable. I think I'll pass on this copy of "Adolf Hitler"...he's asking $150. I think it's completely intact with fotos, although no paper jacket or schuber and does have the stain on the cover.

The buch I already have, "Deutschland Erwacht" is in "excellent" shape, a very good Near Mint, I'll hold onto that one. Did these all have a schuber or only certain Ausgaben?

Chip

Old 04-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
ramon
Association Member

Glad tp have been of some use to you.

Most of my albums do have their original Schuber. I am especially pleased with the Schuber for the SS SA HJ uniform album which bears the SA logo.

The key I find is to be patient and always vigiliant in looking for these items.

Good hunting,

Ramon

Old 04-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #6
Chip Hopkins

Absolutely helpful!

Vielen Dank!!!

Chip

Old 04-08-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Richard
Association Member

Chip, in normal condition and wear, you can expect a value of about $75 to $80. With the dustjacket they bring about $5 to $10 more depending on the condition of the dustjacket. Add another $5 to $10 if it comes with the original cardboard box and another $10 or so if the pictures are all unmounted and still in the original envelopes (i.e. pristene, never glued in and complete as when new). Condition is a big factor in the value as well as is the completeness. Though many were made, not all were completed by the purchasers. Also, many were destroyed as these were not items anyone wanted to be caught with and weren't necessarily something that many GI's had an interest in as war trophies due to the size and weight. The Adolf Hitler book is harder to find with the dustjacket for some reason than the Deutschland Erwacht. Think about how many of either of these you see compared to the number of EK2's for sale.

The Deutschland Erwacht book came in several distinctly different editions. The first 2 editions comprising a total of 200 thousand printings contained the picture of Ernst Roehm as the Stabschef on page 52. The first edition had 153 pages, the second and third 150 and all the pictures were matte. After he was purged, page 52 was changed to show Victor Lutze as the "Der Chef des Stabes" and the number of pages changed to 151. Also many of the pictures that were color before, were now black and white and glossy. The Roehm editions are scarce as you can imagine. Of the 200 thousand, few survived and an early edition can bring $150 or more in average condition.

Most editions come bound in a brown hardback cloth. This continued up to the 875 thousandth printing. After that (probably due to shortages of certain materials and cost cutting efforts) the editions are bound in a reddish faux leatherette cardboard with a white cloth spine to which was added the number 8. This indicated the number in the series that the manufacturer had issued of various cigarette albums. This manufacturer produced a total of 22 in this series with the Adolf Hitler one being number 15. All important in the Deutschland Erwacht books is the huge pull out panorama photo of the Standartenweihe im Luitpoldhain 1933. If it is missing, it dramatically decreases the value. A total of 1,500,000 were printed overall.

In the 1992 Köhberich's catalog, the Adolf Hitler lists at 140 DM, the Deutschland Erwacht Röhm issue at 200 DM and the post Röhm issues at 150 DM. Of course this was 14 years ago.
Hope this helps.
Richard V
Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!

Last edited by Richard; 04-08-2004 at 11:54 PM.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:02 AM   #8
junior

Thumbs up

Wonderful book!!

Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Chip Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Chip, in normal condition and wear, you can expect a value of about $75 to $80. With the dustjacket they bring about $5 to $10 more depending on the condition of the dustjacket. Add another $5 to $10 if it comes with the original cardboard box and another $10 or so if the pictures are all unmounted and still in the original envelopes (i.e. pristene, never glued in and complete as when new). Condition is a big factor in the value as well as is the completeness. Though many were made, not all were completed by the purchasers. Also, many were destroyed as these were not items anyone wanted to be caught with and weren't necessarily something that many GI's had an interest in as war trophies due to the size and weight. The Adolf Hitler book is harder to find with the dustjacket for some reason than the Deutschland Erwacht. Think about how many of either of these you see compared to the number of EK2's for sale.

The Deutschland Erwacht book came in several distinctly different editions. The first 2 editions comprising a total of 200 thousand printings contained the picture of Ernst Roehm as the Stabschef on page 52. The first edition had 153 pages, the second and third 150 and all the pictures were matte. After he was purged, page 52 was changed to show Victor Lutze as the "Der Chef des Stabes" and the number of pages changed to 151. Also many of the pictures that were color before, were now black and white and glossy. The Roehm editions are scarce as you can imagine. Of the 200 thousand, few survived and an early edition can bring $150 or more in average condition.

Most editions come bound in a brown hardback cloth. This continued up to the 875 thousandth printing. After that (probably due to shortages of certain materials and cost cutting efforts) the editions are bound in a reddish faux leatherette cardboard with a white cloth spine to which was added the number 8. This indicated the number in the series that the manufacturer had issued of various cigarette albums. This manufacturer produced a total of 22 in this series with the Adolf Hitler one being number 15. All important in the Deutschland Erwacht books is the huge pull out panorama photo of the Standartenweihe im Luitpoldhain 1933. If it is missing, it dramatically decreases the value. A total of 1,500,000 were printed overall.

In the 1992 Köhberich's catalog, the Adolf Hitler lists at 140 DM, the Deutschland Erwacht Röhm issue at 200 DM and the post Röhm issues at 150 DM. Of course this was 14 years ago.
Hope this helps.
Richard V
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Richard,

Great info!

My version of "Deutschland erwacht" is from 1933, Ausgabe: "501 - 600 Laufend", Dust Jacket in 'Good' condition, Brown Cloth Hardback, with 150 numbered pages, "Victor Lutze as the 'Der Chef des Stabes' " and has two color plates. All fotos are present and attached (some seem less 'glossy' than others...maybe even matte), the pullout in the back is still present and always impressive.

In general, "Deutschland erwacht" is an extremely interesting book, showing the period. And now with this information, I guess now I'm going to have to look for some of the earlier versions! Just look at what you've done...you've created even more interest!!!

Thank you very much for the info on both books!

Chip

Old 04-09-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
Richard
Association Member

Hi Chris, glad to help. I'm a book freak if you haven't guessed by now. By the way the Laufend is actually Tausend (thousand). There are all kinds of differences in the various editions of some issues, some driven by politics others by scarcity of materials or cost cutting. I've also noticed that the Olympia 1936 books that show the symbols of participating nations have editions where there are nations from previous editions that have been omitted on later ones. Hope I haven't created too much of a book collecting monster. It's a great field of collecting and the prices are still cheap.
Richard V
Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!

Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
ustufvorwaerts
Association Member

Hi everybody,

as it was said before: these two cigarette books are not that rare at all.
"Adolf Hitler" had a total edition of 2.4 million.
"Deutschland erwacht" almost 2.0 million.
Interesting are the different versions - commonly known are the different versions of "Deutschland erwacht" (explained by Richard).
But there are also different versions of "Adolf Hitler". With edition 2.201 - 2.300 the subtitle of all Hess-Pictures changed. For a long period of time I was told, that only the text in the book was changed - but never the pictures !!!
But that is not right - I possess a 2.301 - 2.400 edition, where Hess was "removed" of all pictures (I can provide the images).
I contacted Koeberich and he confirmed the existance of these pictures - very rare compared to the number of existing Roehm-Albums "Deutschland erwacht".

Greetings,

ustufvorwaerts

Old 10-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
gromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Hope this helps.
Richard V
Hi,
Can you complete then list of 22 Cigarette albuns!?

Just got information about this ones:
  • Werk 2: "Die Malerei der Gotik und Frührenaissance" Herausgegeben: 1938
    Werk 3: "Aus Wald und Flur: Tiere unserer Heimat" (Ludwig Zukowsky)
    Werk 4: "Deutsche Märchen" 1939. Es ersetzte das 1933 erschienene Album "Märchen der Völker" des expressionistisch beeinflussten Künstlers Stefan Mart
    Werk 5: "Aus Deutschlands Vogelwelt". Album mit allen 200 farbigen Sammelbildern. 1932
    Werk 6: "Die Olympischen Spiele in Los Angeles" 1932
    Werk 7: "Gestalten der Weltgeschichte. Zeitgenössische Miniaturen berühmter Persönlichkeiten aus vier Jahrhunderten". Album mit 200 farbigen Sammelbildern. Mit vielen einfarbigen Textzeichnungen von Wilhelm Meyer. 1933
    Werk 8: "Deutschland erwacht. Werden, Kampf und Sieg der NSDAP". Die Auswahl und künstlerische Durcharbeitung der Lichtbilder übernahm Heinrich Hoffmann. Text von Wilfrid Bade.
    Werk 9: "Deutsche Kulturbilder 1400 - 1900" - 1936 - Deutsches Leben in 5 Jahrhunderten. 300 Farbbilder. Wissenschaftliche Bearbeitung und Gestaltung der Texte: Dr. Wolfgang Bruhn. 1936
    Das Werk 9 beschreibt das Leben unseres Volkes und das Werden der deutschen Kultur von 1400-1900. Die 300 Bilder des Bilderwerkes "Deutsches Leben in fünf Jahrhunderten" sind in fünf Bildergruppen, jede zu 60 Bildern aufgeteilt.
    Werk 10: "Die Malerei der Renaissance". 92 Seiten mit einem Vorwort von Emil Waldmann.
    Werk 11: "Die Malerei des Barock" (1940). Mit einem Vorwort von Emil Waldmann. Album mit 100 farbigen Sammelbildern
    Werk 12: "Bilder Deutscher Geschichte" 1936. Illustrierter Originalpappeinband mit Einbandillustration von O.H.W. Hadank, Berlin.
    Werk 13: "Die Olympischen Spiele 1936", Band 1 (Winter); In Berlin und Garmisch-Partenkirchen; Herausgeber: Walter Richter
    Werk 14: "Die Olympischen Spiele 1936", Band 2; In Berlin und Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Herausgeber: Walter Richter; 1936. 165 Seiten
    Werk 15: "Adolf Hitler" (1936). Gruppen 62-67 ergänzen sich zum vollständigen Werk 15
    Werk 16: "Raubstaat England" 1941

Old 10-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #13
Geoff Walden

Folks checking for the “Röhm editions” of “Deutschland Erwacht” should also look at the following pages. All of these pages in the second edition (101-200 Tausend) have photos showing Röhm. In later editions these were either changed to photos of Lutze, or changed to different photos not showing Röhm, or disguised so that Röhm’s face isn’t recognizable: pages 27, 45, 52, 67, 87, 130-131, 141, 148. The first is the famous photo of Röhm standing behind the barricade near Himmler (with the flag) on 9 November 1923 during the Munich putsch. In later editions an extra piece of angled iron was drawn in to hide Röhm’s face.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
feldpost 58

Hi gents,

Would'nt it be great if someone with a special interest in TR period cigarette albums would publish an in depth book about the subject?
Judging from the knowledge and expertise shown in this thread and others on the forum, the authors of this book are here.
Anyonewant to step forward and do this?

Best wishes,

John.

other CA's ???
Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member

Default other CA's ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromaniac View Post
Hi,
Can you complete then list of 22 Cigarette albuns!? ...
My favorite Cigarette Albums have flag cards.
OFW
(below) Example flag card album cover & content.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cig-cards-flags-ofw.jpg (65.6 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 12-06-2017 at 10:20 AM.