wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Waffen SS officer’s tunic for opinion
Old 04-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
loren

Default Waffen SS officer’s tunic for opinion

Hello Gents

Please I would like some opinions on this tunic form the Waffen ss regiment « Deutschland » on sale at Ratisbon’s.

https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/after...rmfuehrer.html

Regards
Loren

Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
salt*creek

Nice looking tunic. Accurate description should say "army officer tunic converted post war to SS" Insignia is worth the asking price. Boards should be white.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Panzergrenadiere71
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren View Post
Hello Gents

Please I would like some opinions on this tunic form the Waffen ss regiment « Deutschland » on sale at Ratisbon’s.

https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/after...rmfuehrer.html

Regards
Loren
If you are looking for opinions at least take the time to post some pictures.
When the photos on the website are gone the link is useless.
BTW this one is the key.
As said,Heer jacket with original post-war sewn WSS insigna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000000430920-052.jpg (142.2 KB, 578 views)

Even if it is done correctly and it is " textbook ", it can still be fake.

"When a wise man points to the moon the fool looks at the finger."

Some collectors get it , some others don't .

Old 04-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
sutka
Association Member

agree

Old 04-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
phild

Interesting the description estimates the tunic dates from 1943 when tailor label clearly is dated 45. The label is very crudely sewn in and if it was named to an SS rank everyone would say it was added, but I think it is period in this case. With some work this officer could be identified as the combination of uncommon last name, rank and branch (and timeframe) would pinpoint him. I wound not 100% rule out SS just because Heer rank title is being used on this label, I’ve seen similar before that were real.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Hans Kristian
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Interesting the description estimates the tunic dates from 1943 when tailor label clearly is dated 45. The label is very crudely sewn in and if it was named to an SS rank everyone would say it was added, but I think it is period in this case. With some work this officer could be identified as the combination of uncommon last name, rank and branch (and timeframe) would pinpoint him. I wound not 100% rule out SS just because Heer rank title is being used on this label, I’ve seen similar before that were real.
Well, maybe Lt. Schaich was killed before he could pick up his new tunic (maybe after promotion), and it went to someone else - a Waffen-SS officer. Pure speculation of course.

Hans Kristian

Old 04-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Kristian View Post
Well, maybe Lt. Schaich was killed before he could pick up his new tunic (maybe after promotion), and it went to someone else - a Waffen-SS officer. Pure speculation of course.

Hans Kristian
I was more thinking that whoever typed the label was incorrect or ignorant concerning SS rank nomenclature. It is for sure that if the tunic is a post war rebadged heer Officer that the embellisher made a fatal slip in not removing that name label or cutting the bottom off as we often see. That 15 seconds spent could have made him a lot of return.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
pedroMM
Association Member

I am not an expert on these,but just an slight observation..
Is not the combination of artillery shoulder boards with that Cufftitle somehow weird??
I could expect any other divisional Cufftitle, but an infantry regiment one is something that bothers me a little.
By the way, the Cufftitle is sewn too high IMO. Most of the bands that are seen in Officers' tunics are sewn just on the top seam of the French cuff.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
NickG
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroMM View Post
Is not the combination of artillery shoulder boards with that Cufftitle somehow weird??
I could expect any other divisional Cufftitle, but an infantry regiment one is something that bothers me a little.
By the way, the Cufftitle is sewn too high IMO. Most of the bands that are seen in Officers' tunics are sewn just on the top seam of the French cuff.
Yes an artillery unit is a Divisional asset and would have the parent unit cuff title.
Example; Nederland Div. artillery officer would never wear a "De Ruyter" or "Gen Seyffhardt" cuff title....Instead "Nederland".
Nord Division, same thing... never a "Michael Gaismair" or "Reinhard Heydrich" Regimental CT...as these are sub units.
Other Divisional assets would be: (with Divisional cutt titles) Divisional staff, military Police (feldgendarmerie, Flak, medical (sanitater), engineers (pionieren),
communications (nachrichten) and supply (Nachschub)...(all Divisional level entities)
Of course with transfers, replacements things could get murky but in theory this would be the case...Sometimes old cuff titles were maintain after transferring even.

Last edited by NickG; 04-08-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroMM View Post
I agree on the combination of artillery officer and this regiment being unusual and perhaps unlikely. There were certainly artillery officer’s detailed are attached to the regiment but I doubt they wore the title

You are also correct about the placement. That said I have several period photos of SS officers wearing them above the turnback (but usually just above it not 2-5 cm above it like this one) and have seen a few others with very solid pedigree with above cuff mounted titles.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #11
Novosibirsk
Association Member

About the label with the rank Herr Lt. have already said the opinion below. He may have moved at the end of the war from Heer to SS. As option.
As for the cuff title, it happened! Maybe in the evening her (sewing master) husband didn 't sleep with her and she was offended and sewed a little higher than she should according to the charter!
I think about the color of the Artillery boards and the cuff title, there 's no point in talking anymore. The photo is clear.
Good tunic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_75681.jpg (182.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_75692.jpg (191.3 KB, 302 views)

Old 04-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #12
salt*creek

Easy to see that the shoulders have been opened for the boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06B4F82F-F69D-42CC-A059-04D6C62BB344.jpg (69.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 7CA0A1A8-E003-481B-BF6E-127201CB0BEA.jpg (56.9 KB, 293 views)

Old 04-09-2020, 01:01 AM   #13
salt*creek

More traditional sewing placement on these untouched examples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 076D72AA-7386-4FD9-B2CD-660004934A0D.jpg (108.5 KB, 291 views)

Old 04-09-2020, 03:05 AM   #14
John Pic
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk View Post
About the label with the rank Herr Lt. have already said the opinion below. He may have moved at the end of the war from Heer to SS. As option.
As for the cuff title, it happened! Maybe in the evening her (sewing master) husband didn 't sleep with her and she was offended and sewed a little higher than she should according to the charter!
I think about the color of the Artillery boards and the cuff title, there 's no point in talking anymore. The photo is clear.
Good tunic!
Do you really know about the tunic you posted in the book ? I know that the boards were added post war they are original but added by the collector owner. I was made familiar with this tunic long before the internet.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #15
Novosibirsk
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pic View Post
Do you really know about the tunic you posted in the book ? I know that the boards were added post war they are original but added by the collector owner. I was made familiar with this tunic long before the internet.

No! I just showed a photograph, as an example, to the fact that the Deutschland regiment wore cuff title and artillery boards together.
I 'm glad for you that you were familiar with this tunic before the internet.

I will also add that the cuff title were worn 5.5-6 "or 14-15.25 cm from the bottom of the cuff. But since the cuffs were different widths, they were sometimes sewn on top of 1 or 2 cm maximum. But it was!
I think everyone knows that, just said...