wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

Old 04-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #16
horsetrainer
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaser View Post
Is there a serial number on it please?
Hello,
There are no serial numbers in the binoculars.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #17
MAUSER99

I'm curious why these don't follow any normal Zeiss manufacturing ?

Why no typical left plate and no serial # ?

I'm not questioning I'm trying to learn I have never seen a set like this but others with more experience seem to like them.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #18
Mikedenmark

It looks like a rework to me. I can guess the G means it was originally made in 1935. G was the letter code for 1935. (K was 1934)

Old 04-08-2020, 02:42 AM   #19
Sgt Bilko

So what does an Artl bino with a serial ending in "a" mean?

Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #20
Mikedenmark

I have no idea about the a. The G may also be something else than a year.
The only place all those lettercodes for years were really in use, seems to be in headstamps on ammunition. The letters K and G though has been used on equipment as well. Like Lugers and (not confirmed to be dates) on German navy wall clocks.
The clock collectors has been wondering about the K and the G they occasionally see on the dials.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #21
Zeissure

I am agree with all of you guys. It is reworked to me!

Old 04-08-2020, 06:52 AM   #22
Zeissure

all the markings on the binoculars are not congruent with the German naval standards and the zeiss standards. Whoever rengraved this binoculars did not pay attention to several details, one of which, the stem of the L of Artl. it was curled at the bottom!

Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
Mikedenmark

I would buy it, curled L or not. I would even buy 2, or 3 if they looked like this one.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #24
Zeissure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedenmark View Post
I would buy it, curled L or not. I would even buy 2, or 3 if they looked like this one.

I don't like collecting fake items, but I would buy it for 100 euros too

Old 04-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #25
horsetrainer
Association Member

Doing a little research on the internet I found this website about Zeiss KM 6x30 Gasmask binoculars. Very informative, but the photos are tiny and you cannot click on them to see bigger photos. As for the binoculars not having a serial number I do not know why? As for the "l" not having the "curl" it could be the second variant since they were most likely made around 1935-1936? Please see the photo with what is most likely the first lettering variant in 1934 but since the "l" does not have the "curl" these are most likely fake too?

Also the Eagle with swastika is the first variant for Zeiss since they switched from the Imperial German Eagle.

http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors...#D.F.6x30-1934

Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_6x30_Carl_Zeiss_Imperila_No1629516_65_.jpg (27.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by horsetrainer; 04-08-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #26
Sgt Bilko

Font differences doon't always mean it's a fake. During the WW2 period Zeiss used at least three different sizes and fonts on 10x50 Dienstglas binos.

It's also worth remembering that not all reworks were by Zeiss (or the original makers) - the Army used feinmechaniks and possibly slave labour too overhaul and rework optics.

I like it and would have it in a minute.

PS The serial may have been on the end washer but would be of little significance to the KM. They'd be more concerned with their own Artl number.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #27
MAUSER99

thanks for the link . I doesn't really shed any more light on this particular set but , does show what it would have originally looked like.

The 6x30 gas mask set the one shown dates from 34 still Showing Weimar era eagle. The Km was the last to adopt the Nazi bird on most of their equipment.

So if these were totally scrubbed for rework purposes this may explain the lack of ser#. I personally cant see a reason for doing this just to re-apply
Zeiss DF 6x30 as this would have already been there.

I also think and may be wrong that there are two distinct stylized eagles on optics that we see all the time. They differ a lot in design. One used by Zeiss and the other used by Leitz . The latter showing far more detail and esthetics.

The Zeiss bird is very consistant and this one falls a little short for me. I'm always been under the impression these left the factories with ALL the markings these were not added later.

I suppose this in an oportunty for seious discussion on the topic. I feel these are from tha 34 contract I'm not sure how many other 6x30 gas mask contracts there were ? Does Seager's book list any ? I don't own a copy yet.

Thanks for the time and sorry for the long post with lots of ?? and loose ends.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #28
horsetrainer
Association Member

I removed the rubber around the oculars, but there is some residue. Let the next owner remove the rest.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080116.jpg (122.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg P4080117.jpg (132.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg P4080122.jpg (102.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg P4080123.jpg (98.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg P4080137.jpg (99.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg P4080121.jpg (106.1 KB, 127 views)

Old 04-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #29
richthofen_117
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeissure View Post
all the markings on the binoculars are not congruent with the German naval standards and the zeiss standards. Whoever rengraved this binoculars did not pay attention to several details, one of which, the stem of the L of Artl. it was curled at the bottom!
Agree. Eagle marking on this pair looks different from original Zeiss bird, either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Binos KM 6x30 Zeiss (13)_副本.jpg (97.9 KB, 115 views)

Old 04-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #30
Zeissure

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthofen_117 View Post
Agree. Eagle marking on this pair looks different from original Zeiss bird, either.
ok, if we put it on the plane that there are different types of eagles and that this could be one of those, and also the fact that this type of eyepieces are also present on a military binoculars of the german navy and that has the classic numbered artillery reticle, then there is no reason to think that this binoculars are re-engraved. Furthermore, we can find similar kind of markings on some binoculars on seeger's books or am I wrong?