wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Communist Bloc Militaria

Communist Bloc Militaria Communist Militaria 1917-Present

Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Eric Queen

Based on this part of the design I thought that is what "could" be on the front of the case. The language being Yugoslavian supported that a little also.

Based on the over all look (which I like), where it came from (not eastern Europe) and what I paid, I thought it was worth picking up and look into it further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-3953-0-99856800-1543266454.jpg (154.0 KB, 91 views)

Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
Drugo
Association Member

Very interesting piece, Eric. The place is Seđnic (Sedjnitz) if you ask me, though it doesn't make any sense. It could also be a ć (ch), so Sećnic, but I don't think so because the surname is Vasić and the two letters clearly differ in their engraving.

Can you show a photo of the open box? I have a VERY similar engraved box, in terms of format, material and I guess size (sort of cigarette box). It was made by one Serbian POW to another and dated 1943, from the Stalag in Fallingbostel (Germany). I'll search for photos on my pc tomorrow.

"From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent." - Winston Churchill, 5 March 1946, Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #18
Eric Queen

Thank you Drugo for your response. Interesting. We may never know what the name of the place is. I can only guess that it was foreign to the person who engraved it and he "sounded it out" in his own language. Just a guess of course.

Here is the inside of the box. Approx. 2 x 3 inches so must have been a cigarette case.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-151850-0-22692800-1584814268.jpg (68.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #19
Drugo
Association Member

Here it is.

On the front, engraved: Made by Kosta Đorđević, as a souvenir for the baker Drag. Milojković.

On the back: A souvenir from imprisonment, 10 March 1943, Fallingbostel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fronte.jpg (61.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Interno.jpg (55.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Retro.jpg (203.0 KB, 62 views)

"From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent." - Winston Churchill, 5 March 1946, Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #20
Eric Queen

Thank you Drugo for posting. That is a neat piece.

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what the design on the front of mine could be?

Old 03-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #21
Drugo
Association Member

It's hard to say, Eric.

The only two sure things are:

- That's a parachute - paratroopers' symbol.
- The engraving is Serbian cyrillic, the name is Serbian (Yugoslav).

It is hard to say much more, given that we seem unable to identify the exact location. There is a small town in Germany called Segnitz, but I couldn't find it related in any relevant way to WWII events.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #22
Albert
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugo View Post
... There is a small town in Germany called Segnitz, but I couldn't find it related in any relevant way to WWII events.
Segnitz was covered on page 1. Whatever the place, it would not necessarily need to be related in relevant ways to WWII events. All it would have taken is a farm, or a small factory and a couple of forced laborers. The Seglitz disqualifier was the "g".

Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #23
Marcel Banziger
Association Member

As mentioned before, don't disqualify due to spelling errors. These are common, especially when in another country in some random place. I mean, even official clerks made spelling errors on official documents, award certificates etc. My opinion is you guys put too much weight to these spelling errors.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #24
Albert
Association Member

We allow for spelling errors, they certainly are an option, esp. when dealing with transliterations. Their likelihood was mentioned "between the lines". In fact, at this point it pretty much goes without saying that it most likely is a "typo";-)

Old 04-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #25
sebastijan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Queen View Post
I have read in several places that after the invasion in April 1941 many of these pilots (also trained as paratroopers) were in exile in Egypt flying with the RAF. It was during this time that some had make shift paratrooper badges made locally using the pilots badge (basically adding a parachute to it).

** This may or may not be true. I have no photographic evidence to support it.
Here is a photo of a soldier wearing such a paratrooper badge.

Regarding the name of the place, which is engraved on the box, I think it could also be possible, that it is a name of a place in the middle east, as on the box is also engraved the year of 1944. At that time the royal yugoslavian army in exile was located in the middle east. You should know that it is a habit in Serbia to write down names as they are pronounced.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #26
Eric Queen

Thank you so much Sebastijan for posting the image and for the additional information. Honestly, what you are saying in regards to the location name is what I was thinking when I first saw it. I, of course, could not read it but thinking the over all look of it looked like it could have been done in Egypt or somewhere in the middle east.

If there is any way to post a larger image with a clearer view of the badge I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Eric