wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Nam period helo distroyed by drunk
Old 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Ed.Anderson,Jr.

Default Nam period helo distroyed by drunk

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A South Carolina aviation foundation is trying to raise money to repair a historic Vietnam War-era attack helicopter after the State Highway Patrol accused a man of crashing into it while driving drunk.
The man behind the wheel was arrested for driving under the influence, a Highway Patrol community relations officer confirmed on Twitter. The driver was near the Columbia Metropolitan Airport after midnight when he mistakenly took an access road and hit the 1967 AH-1F helicopter, which was parked outside of a building on a dead-end street, the officer said. The man told police he “consumed way too much alcohol” and was trying to get to the interstate, the Celebrate Freedom Foundation said in a statement.
The foundation says the 53-year-old chopper sustained around $6.6 million worth of damage . Insurance won’t come close to covering the repairs, said Lori Wicker, the director of the organization’s student program.
The aircraft was used to teach students about science, technology, engineering and math. It was restored and decoratively painted and had been put out as a Christmas display on Dec. 14 when it was struck, Wicker said. The helicopter is one of six that the organization has renovated to educate students and the public. Veterans and active-duty soldiers volunteer to do the renovations on the donated aircraft.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #2
David T

6.6 million!!! Is there a photo in the article?

Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Ed.Anderson,Jr.

There was not.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Old 01-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
fldjr
Association Member

Link to news video and some pics...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlt...e-6b5c03f158ea

Old 01-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Spikey

I think this used to sit at Long Beach Airport? If this is the same you could see it from the southbound 405 freeway.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
juvatwad
Association Member

Was it a static display? No way that’s $6 mil in damage if so.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Gary Cain
Association Member

6 million is a farce. Someone is trying to cash in, big time.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
MikeP
Association Member

"Blue Max" was the 17th Aerial Rocket Artillery.

They worked 3 Corps in 69.

I was directing a couple of them from some thick bush.
One got knocked down by a 12.7, killing the pilot and wounding the gunner.

2nd got excited and made a run too close to where I was

located. Me and 4 or 5 CIDG got hit.
I got a a month in hospital and a lingering distrust of all flying machines, armed or not.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #9
Lloyd I.

So the moron took out some weapons stores and the skids on one side. Even on it's belly that is not 6 mil worth of damage! I remember reading this and thinking it had to be a near total loss having restored a UH-1M that flew in Vietnam. Someone is definitely lying on their insurance claim. Besides it's a fugly AH-1F anyway looking absolutely nothing like it did when it flew in Vietnam with Blue Max or not. 'Decoratively painted' is pushing the kindness factor.

"The whole right side of the helicopter has been torn off," Lori Wicker with the Celebrate Freedom Foundation said. Pretty easy to see this lady is an absolute fraudster.

On a good day you can buy a Vietnam gunship that needs work for between 8-10K. Static restorations like this one do not cost 6 million dollars.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
MP 38

This is too bad to see a piece of history taken out by an imbicil. Thanks for that story MikeP. I can only imagine what you were thinking in that situation.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #11
Beezman

"The aircraft was used to teach students about science, technology, engineering and math." Given the paint job, it is a good thing she did not mention History.

It seems there was no engine inside by the way?

Old 01-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #12
phild

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezman View Post
"The aircraft was used to teach students about science, technology, engineering and math." Given the paint job, it is a good thing she did not mention History.

👍👍👍👍

I even strongly question the science, technology, engineering and math! When one mentions STEM these days the checkbooks seem to fly out. How about having students study and take test the way they did for 200 years instead of playing with things all day and calling it “projects and experimenting”?

Old 01-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #13
inimicus
Association Member

cost difrentials aside, there's WAY too much tolerance for inebriates in the 'states. I think in the nordic nations even one DWI can get you banned from driving for life (?) members from The Cold North Europe chime in please... meantime happy safe 2020 to all

Old 01-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Lloyd I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezman View Post

There is an engine in there, you can see it 3rd image down posted aft looking forward, it is just missing the improved IR exhaust dissipator. The IR Jammer known as the disco ball is missing too. Doesn't look like the tail rotor drive shaft is connected because when the main rotor tie down failed and the main rotor blades starting turning from the impact the tail rotor did not turn with it. Clearly not connected.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:29 AM   #15
GD39
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimicus View Post
cost difrentials aside, there's WAY too much tolerance for inebriates in the 'states. I think in the nordic nations even one DWI can get you banned from driving for life (?) members from The Cold North Europe chime in please... meantime happy safe 2020 to all

Denmark: limit crossed 0.05%, imprisonment if over 0.20%. Fine: one month's pay after taxes × BAC × 10

Norway: limit crossed 0.02%. Punishment depends on the alcohol level: fine and/or suspended licence if any aggravated circumstances are present. Fine for an alcohol level of more than 0.05% should be around 1.5 months base salary and usually not lower than 10,000 NOK. Prison sentences may occur and are usually around three weeks to three months with a maximum of one year. The suspension period varies from less than a year to forever. When license is suspended forever, one may apply to get it back after five years.

Sweden: limit crossed 0.02%, up to six months imprisonment), 0.10%, imprisonment, maximum two years)