wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Early BGS Jaeger Load Carrying Equipment
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Guardian 5
Association Member

Default Early BGS Jaeger Load Carrying Equipment

Team - Inspired by the excellent photos on the Beim Alten BGS website
http://www.beim-alten-bgs.de/index.html and the outstanding equipment diagrams placed on the "chest rig" thread by sgtmunroe I decided to try and put together some c.1951 - 1971 BGS rifleman set-ups.

It was entirely too hot to take this project on today, but I did manage three rigs before I ran out of gas.

First up is a c.1951 set-up. There is a lot of wartime gear in this set-up, to include the M1911 ammo pouches, mess tin, e-tool, and protective mask. The other gear, while post-war made, would be easily recognizable to any wartime landser.

All the best - TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2067.JPG (215.8 KB, 807 views)

Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 08-16-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Guardian 5
Association Member

Fast forwarding five years, we can see that all of the gear with the exception of the e-tool is post war made, but still follows the Wehrmacht pattern closely. The M1911 ammo pouches for the Kar98k have yielded to a new model designed to accomodate the 20 round magazine of the G1 (the "C" series or Canadian version of the FN FAL).

Again, a wartime landser would have no trouble using this gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (52.3 KB, 789 views)

Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Guardian 5
Association Member

This late sixties rig sees a complete redesign of the protective mask carrier, e-tool & carrier, and field flask. The gas mask carrier and e-tool would have also been in use with 60s era Bundeswehr units. Soon however, the increasingly mechanized Bundeswehr would phase out the metallic tube design of the protective mask carrier in favor of a more "mech friendly" rubber zip-up satchel. They also opted for a different design for the e-tool carrier.

The BGS and civil defense services opted for the canteen design shown here, although one occasionally comes across a BW style "M59 / oliv" field flask in BGS forest green. The BGS also retained the use of the bread bag, long after the Bundeswehr adapted the small fighting pack with internal stowage of the mess tin.

I guess a side-by-side comparison of the early Bundeswehr and BGS rigs would be in order, although that will have to wait for next weekend. I'm way over due for a nice cold one!

Al the best - TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2073.jpg (51.9 KB, 796 views)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Klaus1989

Nice setups TJ! I will post some of mine later this week. So some of your equipments are wartime? I have never known differences between wartime and postwar made straight shovel.

I wonder also about y-straps in first photo. They look like wartime mounted y-straps but not sure BGS used these? The BGS y-straps were adopted early on. I also notice different shades of green between second and third setups. Is this early vs later manufacture? I have breadbag like second one in colour but stamp is too faded to read date.

Actually looking at this photo from 1952 that you posted long ago, y straps not look like they were common in early BGS:

regards
Klaus

Last edited by Klaus1989; 08-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
sgtmonroe

Very nice stuff TJ.

Here is one I did of "basic" BGS equipments...since I can't find the originals.

Last edited by sgtmonroe; 08-17-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Guardian 5
Association Member

Klaus - The e-tool is of wartime pattern. It is stamped with the "little man & a shovel" trademark of the Idealspaten Company of Herdecke in the Ruhr Valley (see below). This company has made e-tools for the Kaiser's troops as well as the BGS and Bundeswehr. They're still in business making high end gardening tools for German yuppies. There is no date. The clue to its post-war use is seen on the carrier. The carrier carries wartime stempels and stamps, but was apparently refurbished by Carl Busse of Mainz, a wartime manufacturer, in 1954. The BGS was active during this period and photographic evidence shows that this type of spade and carrier was worn well into the 60s.

The Y-strap in the first photo is stamped "C. Riesse Berlin 1954". It also carries the "P.Pr.Bln." (Polizei Presidium Berlin) stamp indicating probable service with the West Berlin Bereitschaftpolizei, but I'm sure I've seen this type used by the BGS. The u-shaped flap on the rear strap is pretty distinctive and I know I've seen it on a BGS Jaeger with his back to the camera in a period photo.

I changed up the bread bags to keep people like you on their toes. I'm confident all shades we're at one time or another used by the BGS, but have yet to complete a detailed analysis (it's on the list....)

I'm looking forward to seeing your set-ups. I should have close-ups loaded by the end of the week.

sgtmunroe - Your graphic design talent never ceases to amaze. The shot of the G1 is particularly cool. Educational, informative and pleasing to the eye - I'm impressed!

All the best - TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tm 2.jpg (41.9 KB, 769 views)

Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 08-18-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo