wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #16
PZKG
Association Member

Because it is tailor made for an officer and they ommited the belt hook supports and holes just as on many Gabardine officer wrappers.

Mads

Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
TWS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZKG View Post
Because it is tailor made for an officer and they ommited the belt hook supports and holes just as on many Gabardine officer wrappers.

Mads
I'm not sure about that. It's stamped like a production wrap. The tailor-made wraps wouldn't have the size stampings. I'll go back and look closely at the photos of this one to see if they were removed.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
PZKG
Association Member

I however am quite sure as I have a gabardine wrap with size stampings which also lacks the belt hook supports and holes and has been checked out by Pritchett.
Also if they had been removed there would still be holes or marks ofter those.

Mads

Last edited by PZKG; 11-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
B. N. Singer

You have a winner.

B. N. Singer

Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
Waffenreich
Association Member

Mads,

I agree with Todd (TWS). This is a contract produced wrap. If it was tailor made for an officer I don't believe it would have gone through the supply/distribution system and received the depot/date mark. As you know, the reason the Wehrmacht contracted out to firms for production was for mass production, and this idea of officers ordering "one offs" through normal supply channels I think is nonsense. If they wanted a private uniform made they went to a tailor. I have a Paul Opalla issue wrap that is heavily modified for walking out and there is literally no evidence of the belt support holes and tabs ever being there. They even took the cinching tape channel off.

I also clearly see a line one the backside of the tab where other stitching once was. I'd like to see the other collar to see if this just an anomaly.

I'm not pooping on the set, just saying there are a couple of things worthy of a second thought.

vr

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacke9.jpg (230.2 KB, 256 views)

Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #21
afrikasandman
Association Member

Great set! I love the added pink pipping on the collar. Visor is fine as well and post war used pants. Matt

Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
TWS
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffenreich View Post
Mads,

I agree with Todd (TWS). This is a contract produced wrap. If it was tailor made for an officer I don't believe it would have gone through the supply/distribution system and received the depot/date mark. As you know, the reason the Wehrmacht contracted out to firms for production was for mass production, and this idea of officers ordering "one offs" through normal supply channels I think is nonsense. If they wanted a private uniform made they went to a tailor. I have a Paul Opalla issue wrap that is heavily modified for walking out and there is literally no evidence of the belt support holes and tabs ever being there. They even took the cinching tape channel off.
vr

Bob

Thanks Bob. Just to be clear to Schuasta, I'm not downing the wrap. I find wraps very interesting and enjoy discussing them. Overall it looks good IMO. My curiosity was aroused and I went to the war room and pulled out a couple of mine to get an idea . It takes a good tailor to remove all the traces. Lot of work involved to do it right and I agree that it was for walking out purposes. I have a pair of panzer trousers that were modified for walking out, taking out the taper at the ankle and tapes at the bottom and making them purely straight leg trousers for wearing with shoes if the owner desired.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #23
LuckyStrike23

Quote:
Mads,

vr

Bob
Years ago I had a talk with Günther Piepgras about his wrap (who knows where it is today). He bought it at "Kleiderkasse" Berlin in 1941 and choosed bright shoulder boards, an officer eagle and rayon piping around the collar. The wrap itself was an ordinary issued piece and stamped by Hannover depot.

Private taylored wraps are really seldom. I have seen in all those yeas maybe 2 or 3 which I consider original.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 AM   #24
Schuasta
Association Member

Many Thanks for the positive Comments, here better pictures - and from the other side.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kragen2.jpg (144.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Kragen1.jpg (181.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Kragen.jpg (152.0 KB, 220 views)

Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #25
PZKG
Association Member

You are probably right Bob and Todd, but I posted my example in my own thread just to show you mine aswell and to not hog this thread with my example:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=981348

Cheers

Mads

Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #26
compressore
Association Member

Quote:
I also clearly see a line one the backside of the tab where other stitching once was. I'd like to see the other collar to see if this just an anomaly.

I'm not pooping on the set, just saying there are a couple of things worthy of a second thought.

vr

Bob
Hello,

any opinions on this after the additional pictures ?
What would be the additional things worth of a second thought ?

Thank you

Christian

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #27
me6_130
Association Member

I would say it is a standard line production wrap which has been retailored to upgrade for an officer, in a more stylish version, just as the trousers. Traces of thread or stitching might be seen where the tunnels for the waist fasteners were. What surprises me is the trousers has been widened so much, when an officer could buy one to his own size. Perhaps it has been put together with the wrap. I would think is it no so much as a walking-out but a combat officer's wrap.

Carles