wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Chernobyl - 2019 TV Series
Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
Mil-Archive

Default Chernobyl - 2019 TV Series

Surprised no one has started a thread about this one yet, the TV Series 'Chernobyl' on sky tv.

This is well worth checking out in my view. A high quality telling of the story which doesn't talk down to it's audience.

I thought they way the handled the mechanics of why the incident happened was well thought out, lots of technical information is presented in a way you can follow.

There were many stand out moments in this series, practical events that you wouldn't have thought about but which make perfect sense when you see it all laid out here. The animal clearance crews, miners, firefighters etc. The ego-ism and career ism of the admin and scientists and also the subtle background menace of the kgb - these are all well displayed. The graphic detail of the hospital scenes and how they played out was also memorable.

On a side note I saw some real life footage of the roof clearance and it very closely matches what was shown in the series;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-WdTF2Qr8

so I get the feeling they went to great lengths to achieve visual authenticity. There were reports on rt.com which interviewed some of the actual personel who nitpicked the odd detail but the gist was they were also pleased it was treated in a mature sensible manner. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this. I remember the incident occurring and the radiation cloud spreading over Europe but I never knew the technical side of why it happened so for me this was informative as well as entertaining. This also contained one of the most terrifying scenes in modern tv (imo) where the 3 'volunteers' with torches descend into the waters to try to shut down a valve during the early days of the event.

Here is a sample review;

https://www.independent.ie/entertain...-38091115.html

Quote:

Pat Stacey
May 8 2019 8:31 AM

HBO and Sky’s five-hour miniseries about the world’s worst nuclear power plant disaster comes with the usual coda. Some names have been changed, and some events and characters fictionalised, modified or composited for dramatic purposes.
Yet no piece of dramatised non-fiction has ever felt this authentic. The No 4 reactor at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded on April 26, 1986, during a late-night safety test simulating a power failure.
The miniseries opens two years after the catastrophe. Physicist Valery Legasov (Jared Harris), the man who led the commission that investigated the accident, has just finished dictating into a tape recorder his account of the incompetence that caused the explosion and the shocking official cover-up that followed.
Slipping out of his modest apartment and past the KGB man sitting in a parked car across the street, Legasov stashes the cassette tapes, which would eventually reach the outside world, behind a grill in an alleyway. Then he returns home, and having fed his cat, smoked a cigarette and put on his overcoat, hangs himself.

We’re immediately transported back two years to the night of the disaster. In an even more modest apartment in the town of Pripyat, pregnant young wife Lyudmilla Ignatenko (Irish actress Jessie Buckley) is returning to bed after a trip to the bathroom when she hears a loud bang and the building is shaken by the force of an explosion at the Chernobyl plant, three kilometres away.
Her husband Vasily (Adam Nagaitis), a fireman, is roused from his sleep and one of the first responders on the scene. He’ll also be one of the first to die a slow, agonising death from radiation poisoning.

When he arrives to battle the inferno, however, the awful reality of what’s just happened hasn’t yet registered. It soon does, though.
One of Vasily’s colleagues picks up a lump of debris, without realising what he’s handling. It twinkles like granite, but it’s actually a piece of radioactive graphite. Within minutes, he’s peeling off his heavy fireman’s glove to reveal a bleeding, blistered hand that looks like it’s been pressed against a scalding hotplate.
Inside the plant, the lies, deception and denials begin within moments of the explosion.
Chernobyl’s deputy chief engineer Anatoly Dyatlov (Paul Ritter), who supervised the disastrous safety test, refuses to believe (or pretends not to believe) the evidence of a junior colleague’s eyes, that it’s the reactor core, and not merely a tank, that has exploded.
He continually orders men to descend into the bowels of the plant to open valves and turn on water pipes to a core that no longer exists.
Even as they return, blistered and bleeding and vomiting because of radiation levels so high that they max out the measuring instruments, Dyatlov still refuses to acknowledge the truth — until he too falls ill.
Meanwhile, safely ensconced in a nuclear bunker, the plant’s manager Viktor Bryukhanov (Con O’Neill) and a group of cowardly fellow bureaucrats engage in a damage-limitation exercise. One official, the only sane voice in the room, urges evacuating Pripyat (“The air is glowing!”). Instead they take the decision to seal it off, trapping the residents and cutting the telephone lines in order to “prevent the spread of misinformation”.

In Pripyat, the unwitting locals stand on a bridge, transfixed by the ethereal light (caused by radioactive particles in the atmosphere) in the distance, while children lark around in the gathering pile of toxic ash, as though playing in the sand at a beach.
Writer Craig Mazin, best known before now for writing the comedy The Hangover and its sequels, and director Johan Renck have crafted an unflinching, devastatingly powerful drama with the tautness of a thriller and the chilling veracity of a documentary.
The fact that the large cast —including Emily Watson, Stellan Skarsgard and Ireland’s Barry Keoghan in later episodes — avoid fake Russian accents adds to the realism.
Chernobyl, Sky Atlantic

Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Seigfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil-Archive View Post
Surprised no one has started a thread about this one yet, the TV Series 'Chernobyl' on sky tv.
I'm not! It was/is a purely civilian matter. It looks good (I've recorded it) but it is not military.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Mil-Archive

In terms of Cold War history it's got a relevance, some point to the event and aftermath as the start of the downfall of the Soviet Union. So geo politically and Cold war wise it's relevant imo. Also there was a military aspect in that vast numbers of men and equipment were dragged in to try and fix it (along with miners and non military personnel). Anyway I think in recent years there have been a couple of stand out 'mature' historical dramas and this one is up there with the best of them, despite the usual nitpicking (one of the characters is an amalgam who didn't actually exsist and some events are rolled into one etc).

Old 06-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
Seigfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil-Archive View Post
In terms of Cold War history it's got a relevance, some point to the event and aftermath as the start of the downfall of the Soviet Union. So geo politically and Cold war wise it's relevant imo. Also there was a military aspect in that vast numbers of men and equipment were dragged in to try and fix it (along with miners and non military personnel).
It probably has I suppose, as I say I have recorded it (or downloaded whatever!) and look forward to watching it. I suppose I am just inclined not to see such recent events as 'history' when I was 'there' at the time (in West Germany) in '86, to me history occurred before I was born!

Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #5
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seigfried View Post
I'm not! It was/is a purely civilian matter. It looks good (I've recorded it) but it is not military.
The clean-up was undertaken by Soviet troops, so there is a military aspect to it. I was very impressed by the show. I found it very chilling when Gorbachev was briefed on the dire situation and how it was likely to cause a nuclear holocaust upon much of Ukraine in a matter of 36 hours (something like that!) unless the water tanks were emptied. Thereafter, asking for volunteers for, basically, a one-way mission.....amazing and very moving. Those volunteers should have been named "Hero of the Soviet Union", at the very least.
We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Seigfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
The clean-up was undertaken by Soviet troops, so there is a military aspect to it. I was very impressed by the show. I found it very chilling when Gorbachev was briefed on the dire situation and how it was likely to cause a nuclear holocaust upon much of Ukraine in a matter of 36 hours (something like that!) unless the water tanks were emptied. Thereafter, asking for volunteers for, basically, a one-way mission.....amazing and very moving. Those volunteers should have been named "Hero of the Soviet Union", at the very least.
I agree but if we have flooding etc in the UK, the Army is called out to assist (MACA: Military Aid to Civilian Authorities) - it is of no military significance to us, just another sh!t job.

Those volunteers that dealt with it definitely deserve recognition for averting a catastrophe.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
scotty1418
Association Member

Thought this series was brilliantly done.

The only show I've been fully glued to from start to finish in a long time - seemed to feel worse knowing what was going to happen.

I can't find the link, but there's a great independent Russian journalist write-up of how the show is perceived in Russia (not well). It also interestingly pointed out, that the HBO series did more to honor those who sacrificed in the recovery than anything else in Russia has...

Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
pasoleati

Do Russian characters speak Russian?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

Russia will produce his own TV-serie, which will show what the "truth" story of the Tchernobyl disaster was... And guess what, yes, it was due to an US spy who sabotaged the nuclear plant !

It is outrageous to the memory of the hundred of thousand of civilians who died or are still dying/sick due to the disaster.

https://screencrush.com/russian-tv-v...-of-chernobyl/

A Russian TV Station Is Making Its Own ‘Chernobyl’ Where Americans Are the Villains
ScreenCrush Staff
June 6, 2019

Interest in Chernobyl has skyrocketed since the airing of the surprise hit HBO miniseries about the infamous nuclear disaster. (Reuters reports a “a 40% rise in [tour] trip bookings since the series.” But not everyone is happy about the increase in attention. The Moscow Times reports that general reaction to the series in Russia has been heavily negative, with some in the media claiming it was designed “to tarnish this country’s image as a nuclear power” and that the show presents “a caricature and not the truth.”

To counteract that “caricature,” one Russian TV station is prepping a response: Its own Chernobyl series with a somewhat different account of what went wrong. On NTV’s version, it will be revealed that “the CIA sent an agent to the Chernobyl zone to carry out acts of sabotage.”

More, from The Moscow Times:

As justification for the story, the film’s director, Alexei Muradov, cited fringe conspiracy theorists: ‘One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.’

Meanwhile, Chernobyl remains the top-rated TV series in history on IMDb. So maybe they don’t have a lot of Russian users?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

See You

Vince

Old 07-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
Kelly w

I watched the first few episodes and didn't find it that great. I might have to watch more now based on good WAF reviews.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
Kelly w

At first viewing the UK accents were slightly annoying, but just following the story it came out to be a positive series. I liked the trial in last episode, how true to reality not sure but it sounded good. One thing for certain is after seeing the video of the guy in charge of the control room he really looks the same, a dkhead.

Last edited by Kelly w; 07-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.