wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Eric-Jan Bakker Wehrpass and Soldbuch Forum

Eric-Jan Bakker Wehrpass and Soldbuch Forum Documents and IDs the Wehrmacht.

Death Mystery Questions
Old 01-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

Default Death Mystery Questions

Hello all,

some time ago I bought a great grouping that includes the SB, WP ánd the Wehrstammbuch of the soldier. However, what is curious is that all documents except for his Soldbuch categorize his death only as an 'accident', while his Soldbuch mentions death by a shot in his lung.

So my main question is if anyone has ever seen a similar case. Is it likely that he was shot by one of his comrades by accident and they simply tried to censor it? If so, then why did they also do that in the Wehrstammbuch? Simply because they copied it from the Wehrpass?

I would really like to know what might have happened to him. I only include the pages that mention his death. Of course, if someone wants to see a different page, please ask.

Best regards,
Paul

P.S. First two attachments show the Soldbuch and Wehrpass. Next the Wehrstammbuch and death certificate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Albert Soldbuch.jpg (34.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Albert Wehrpass.jpg (238.8 KB, 218 views)

Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Albert Wehrstammbuch.jpg (99.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Albert Document.jpg (194.1 KB, 213 views)

Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weber Volksbund.jpg (208.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Albert Grave.jpg (120.7 KB, 214 views)

Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
HouweTrouwe
Association Member

Due my research I can confirm that weapon accidents did happen (more often than you would suspect) and that it was not uncommon that while cleaning the gun a shot was fired by own hand or a comrade's hand or a shot was fired by accident in another way (training accident, playing with the gun, falsely ID'd by a guard ...) that resulted in dead.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
naxos
Association Member

Agree with HouweTrouwe - and to add; In some cases suicides were also noted as accident (Unglücksfall).

Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Tora_Tora_Tora!

Am I wrong or the helmet above the grave is battle damaged?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
pauke
Association Member

Though I don't have the documents to show, a friend who was the Spiess in a company in the 291. JD in Kurland managed to accidently shoot himself in a lung with a 7.65 cal. pistol he was cleaning and was evacuated out of the Kurland pocket because of this. He told me he was all but charged with wounding himself to get out of the situation but did not end up being charged. He survived and when the war ended made it home from a hospital to his home in northern Germany with his Soldbuch and hospital records which he decided to take along. I have a few photos and a duplicate Demjansk shield from him while his docs and awards are still with the family. He was a Spiess from 1942 on (while actually an Uffz.) and always attended reunions post-war. For him, Admiral Doenitz was a hero for getting so many soldiers and civilians out of the Kurland Pocket and we made a visit to Doenitz's grave near Hamburg because he knew I was so interested. Did I just have a flash back???

Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

Thank you for the comments so far. I am indeed aware that accidents/suicide/friendly fire happened more often than armies would like to admit. However, I have been unable to find some good examples in passes. I don't think it's possible to find out that exactly happened to Albert, but at least I might be able to reduce the number of possible scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
Am I wrong or the helmet above the grave is battle damaged?
Interesting observation. I think what we're seeing are the flowers. I have added an earlier picture of the same grave (on the right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Albert Grave 2.jpg (69.5 KB, 188 views)

Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

I also want to add that Albert was not issued a pistol. He only seem to have carried a K98.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
Jean-Loup
Association Member

Probably an accidental gunshot wound to the lung.
When you look into all the deaths for a certain unit, you find out that 10 to 20% were caused by friendly fire, accidents with weapons or vehicles, drownings, natural disease, etc. This fact is underepresented in books and movies about the war.

JL

Old 01-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #11
Ian Jewison

I agree with what has already been said.....I am trying to think of examples I have but can not remember at the moment.......I know I do have a few accidental deaths....one which I sold some years ago the guy died of being boiled alive!!!!

The only one that really sticks in my mine is a Totenkopf guy who was demoted for some reason, however at the same time of this he was admitted to hospital with a broken nose, missing a tooth and a laceration to the back of the head.......sounds like he was involved in a punch up?!?!?

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Old 01-03-2018, 03:57 AM   #12
Ian Jewison

Incidentally one injury or medical condition you see scratched out of a Soldbuch, especially those married guys is code "13" Geschlechtskrankheiten: Tripper - Sexually transmitted diseases: gonorrhea.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
Paulus_Gun
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Jewison View Post
I know I do have a few accidental deaths....one which I sold some years ago the guy died of being boiled alive!!!!
This was documented in the papers that were sent to his family?

Old 01-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Ian Jewison

Yes in the Wehrpaß......

I will go through some later, clearly some have had entries obliterated as so the family could not see them when the Wehrpaß was returned to them.

/Ian

Old 01-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
JUNGCO
Association Member

All the branch's Verordnungsblatt have numerous repeat regulations, asking, then telling the units to stop putting stuff in the hospital section of the Wehrpass that would upset family members.
Jeff