wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum

Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum Want that item to last for ever? Well, we can try. Find out how here.

Seeking advice on protecting handgun in mail
Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
PlaceOfBayonets

Default Seeking advice on protecting handgun in mail

Hello,

I sold a Vaquero .40 S&W San Diego Sheriff Commemorative hand gun and am shipping it to the customer's FFL in Alpine CA.

It's a glass cased handgun but for shipping I will put it in the plastic transport case it also came with. My question is how can I ensure that the nickel plating is protected? Should I wrap it in a cloth of plastic? Or is there a better way?

If anyone know about shipping, must all hand guns be shipped over night? I do not see any exceptions.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
jtb1967
Association Member

Only an FFL can ship a handgun through the USPS. A non FFL will have to ship by Fed Ex or UPS. Both services require next day shipping on handguns. I use bubble wrap to pad the handgun unless it's being shipped in it's original hard case. Even this use bubble wrap if there's any chance of the handgun sliding around in the case and scratching the finish.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
PlaceOfBayonets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb1967 View Post
Only an FFL can ship a handgun through the USPS. A non FFL will have to ship by Fed Ex or UPS. Both services require next day shipping on handguns. I use bubble wrap to pad the handgun unless it's being shipped in it's original hard case. Even this use bubble wrap if there's any chance of the handgun sliding around in the case and scratching the finish.
I am an FLL shipping to an FFL. I won't be able to get any bubble wrap into the hard case but I can plastic wrap. Is that as best that can be done? Maybe oil the outer gun itself?

Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
jtb1967
Association Member

You'll just need to give the postal clerk a Postal Service form 1508 then and you're good to go on shipping.

As far as oil, the only it would protect against is possibly rust if some moisture got into the box somehow. It couldn't hurt and light coat of grease would be even better. Since it won't be in the shipping process long, any form of padding should be fine. For longer terms, I'd make sure I used some form of acid free/museum quality foam or wrapping.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
PlaceOfBayonets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb1967 View Post
You'll just need to give the postal clerk a Postal Service form 1508 then and you're good to go on shipping.

As far as oil, the only it would protect against is possibly rust if some moisture got into the box somehow. It couldn't hurt and light coat of grease would be even better. Since it won't be in the shipping process long, any form of padding should be fine. For longer terms, I'd make sure I used some form of acid free/museum quality foam or wrapping.
I called and they said my C&R FFL won't fly even tho commemoratives are C&R guns. So i called the local FFL pistol shipper expert here and was advised not to bother with the USPS. He says even as a store front dealer he cannot get them to ship guns that they are afraid of the guns.

Told to go thought UPS and that all I need is the end FFL address.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
jtb1967
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
I called and they said my C&R FFL won't fly even tho commemoratives are C&R guns. So i called the local FFL pistol shipper expert here and was advised not to bother with the USPS. He says even as a store front dealer he cannot get them to ship guns that they are afraid of the guns.

Told to go thought UPS and that all I need is the end FFL address.
Sorry, I thought you meant you were a regular FFL, not a C&R. C&R cannot ship handguns USPS. Only third party shipper. I've shipped a pile of guns through the USPS, but some clerks are ignorant of their own policies. A handgun that might cost $15 to ship USPS often costs $50 to $75 through UPS or FedEx due to the overnight policy.