wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Czech, Slovak, Austrian and Dutch Reworked Tunics
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Johnny R
Association Member
 
Johnny R's Avatar
 
Johnny R is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern US
Posts: 17,551
Default Czech, Slovak, Austrian and Dutch Reworked Tunics

Does anyone have reworked Czech or Slovak tunics that were used by the Army? The Dutch and Austrian ones seem more common, I am curious what the Czech and Slovak tunics look like modified and unmodified and what the base colors were. I have seen period photos of odd tunics that are not Dutch or Austrian but it is not clear to me what the main differences are for tunics from other countries after reworking for reissue.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Johnny R
Association Member
 
Johnny R's Avatar
 
Johnny R is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern US
Posts: 17,551
Default

I guess these must be rare, has anyone ever even seen a reworked Czech/Slovak tunic, I think Czech tunics were brown?
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
phild
Member
 
phild is online now
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodgson View Post
I guess these must be rare, has anyone ever even seen a reworked Czech/Slovak tunic, I think Czech tunics were brown?
I have never a photo or example of a CZ in use modified or not with the Whermacht/SS. I have seen the dyed CZ overcoats used by HJ Flak units, CZ OS caps,probably dyed, worn by Heer replacement Army troops, and CZ coveralls rebadged for German PZ use. Reports indicsted that about 11 Div. of Heer we equiped with captured CZ small arms and vehicles....also this included maybe a Div. worth for the SS VT and early WSS.

I agree that the basic color of CZ uniforms was a brownish color. This fact probably made them not practical for issue to the Germans and re-dying was not satisfactory on a large scale...esp. for tunic size items.


The German official regulations of the period reconized the formal conversion and use of two non-German origin unform tunics and as you suggested these were the Dutch and Austrian types. IME the Dutch enlisted tunics are more often found by a big % than the Austrian examples....I'm talking about the post war collector market not period photos where both can be found in wear a fair amount. I should add that overcoats, breeches were also official conversions from those two countries and Dutch OS caps were also offically used to some extent.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Abzeichen
Member
 
Abzeichen's Avatar
 
Abzeichen is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 619
War

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
I have never a photo or example of a CZ in use modified or not with the Whermacht/SS. I have seen the dyed CZ overcoats used by HJ Flak units, CZ OS caps,probably dyed, worn by Heer replacement Army troops, and CZ coveralls rebadged for German PZ use. Reports indicsted that about 11 Div. of Heer we equiped with captured CZ small arms and vehicles....also this included maybe a Div. worth for the SS VT and early WSS.

I agree that the basic color of CZ uniforms was a brownish color. This fact probably made them not practical for issue to the Germans and re-dying was not satisfactory on a large scale...esp. for tunic size items.


The German official regulations of the period reconized the formal conversion and use of two non-German origin unform tunics and as you suggested these were the Dutch and Austrian types. IME the Dutch enlisted tunics are more often found by a big % than the Austrian examples....I'm talking about the post war collector market not period photos where both can be found in wear a fair amount. I should add that overcoats, breeches were also official conversions from those two countries and Dutch OS caps were also offically used to some extent.

Here are two period photos of CZ tunics in use by the Heer.

12.jpg
  Reply With Quote

CZ Tunic II
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Abzeichen
Member
 
Abzeichen's Avatar
 
Abzeichen is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 619
War CZ Tunic II

Here is another. These are both out of a period photo album


18.jpg
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Johnny R
Association Member
 
Johnny R's Avatar
 
Johnny R is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern US
Posts: 17,551
Default

So, a 6 button front with internal hip pockets, very nice photos. I have a couple of them in wear to with a Signals unit circa 1939. They must have redyed them and added dark green collars. Thanks Phil, as always you have encyclopedic knowledge of obscure uniform items etc. . I wonder if any survive in collections?
  Reply With Quote

here some more examples
Old 08-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default here some more examples

Here some more examples (I actually believe that these were modified Austrian tunics, not Czech... its described as such in a reference book from France...)
SO an Austrian enlisted type, so lacking the fancy scalloped batwing pocket flaps, as commonly seen on Austrian officers tunics!
PS: Czech tunics are the wrong color too difficult for mass conversions!!
Dutch YES, Austrian YES! both often converted and re-issued!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chechtun.jpg (168.0 KB, 2343 views)

Last edited by NickG; 08-19-2008 at 11:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote

not mine
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default not mine

This one is NOT mine and I don't remember where I obtained the image from (perhaps WAF?) but I believe this is an Austrian drillich (fatigue) tunic, modified to look like a German tunic (anschluB conversion)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg austriandrillich.jpg (76.7 KB, 2343 views)
  Reply With Quote

period image
Old 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default period image

Here's a period image if a similar conversion! Note Jaeger sleeve oval!!!
These do have the fancy bat wing pocket flaps, a style that dates from the Austro-Hungarian empire!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaegeraustrian.jpg (75.0 KB, 2340 views)

Last edited by NickG; 08-09-2008 at 04:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
phild
Member
 
phild is online now
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodgson View Post
Thanks Phil, as always you have encyclopedic knowledge of obscure uniform items etc. . I wonder if any survive in collections?
Thank you, but hardly!

Thanks Abzeichen and Nick for the photos.

Nick, I would have thought the same.

Interesting is the way the chest pockets bellow out on the inside edge....sort of like the American BDUs after they spent millions in R&D and corrected to that style after a year or two of issue! They could have saved time and money if they had seen Abzeichen's photos.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Johnny R
Association Member
 
Johnny R's Avatar
 
Johnny R is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern US
Posts: 17,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Thank you, but hardly!

Thanks Abzeichen and Nick for the photos.

Nick, I would have thought the same.

Interesting is the way the chest pockets bellow out on the inside edge....sort of like the American BDUs after they spent millions in R&D and corrected to that style after a year or two of issue! They could have saved time and money if they had seen Abzeichen's photos.
I enjoyed those millions with my ear plugs and Marlboros inside those expensive pockets.

Thanks for the pics. I have yet to find such treasure.
  Reply With Quote

partial modification
Old 08-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default partial modification

Here some junior Austrian officers (I guess non scalloped pocket flaps were OK for officers afer all)...
with added Heer breast + cap eagles... around the Anschluss time... so hastily modified (call it a partial conversion) with standard Austrian stand-up collars still inplace + Austrian rank stars!
Note fly front (hidden buttons) shown here and same bellowed chest pockets (left image) it appears!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anschluss.jpg (199.3 KB, 2332 views)

Last edited by NickG; 08-09-2008 at 07:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Dutch conversions
Old 08-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default Dutch conversions

Here an example of the common Dutch conversions (not limited to Osttruppen!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dutchconv.jpg (121.5 KB, 2331 views)
  Reply With Quote

Dutch bottoms
Old 08-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
NickG
Association Member
 
NickG's Avatar
 
NickG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wehrkreis Süd Kalifornien
Posts: 22,505
Default Dutch bottoms

Not just captured tunics were utilized! Dutch bottoms here!
Pants (riding breeches) ,leg wraps (puttees) and boots (not high arch = Dutch style) are ALL from Netherlands army stock, probably came from the same quartermaster depot and redistributed to these occupation troops!
The tropical cap is interesting too....worn in Holland! (Indian troops in Holland on coastal defence duty, also wore tropical caps (along with tropical uniforms even)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dutchputtees.jpg (113.9 KB, 2322 views)

Last edited by NickG; 08-10-2008 at 02:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Gaspare
Member
 
Gaspare is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 2,799
Default

I've seen [and owned a couple] these Reworked /Reissued /Field outfitted, jackets at one time or another..That is, a WW 1 or interwar period jacket, stripped of its national insignia,,used whole or dyed, parts replaced, and replaced with any branch service of German insignia..
Dutch
Austrian
CZ/Slovak
Estonian
Russian
Italian

,,has anyone ever see a Latvian, Polish, Finnish, rework/reissue?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com