wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum

Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum Want that item to last for ever? Well, we can try. Find out how here.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Paul R.
Association Member

Hi carlos1 welcome.
I hope I am speaking for all members on the WAF no such thing as a stupid question. We are all still learning on lifes journey. With that cleared up..
You might want to invest into a humidity gauge. Do not buy a real cheap spend a few more dollars and get a better grade (you do get what you pay for).

Idealy try to keep temp and humidity at a constant 68 degrees F, and humidity at 43-45% year round. I live in an area that has below -35 degrees zero. In summer humidity can climb to 73%. I have a commerical grade dehumidifier. During the summer I run mine 24 hours a day & 7 days a week. I hold it between 43-45%

It's best to clean off the blade from gun oil before you use Ren Wax. Apply ren wax to the blade only, and nothing else. no leather, no plastic, or wood handles. Paul

WE SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON OUR HOBBY. SPEND A FEW MORE DOLLARS TO PRESERVE HISTORY!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
carlos1

Thanks PaulR.

So i newer put anything on the handle?

I will start to find the things i need when i get home,but can it be easier to make a cabinet with warm in it,and a fan for making the humindity ok?
Or is it easier to keep a whole room in that condition?

I ask this because i am a AB(seaman)so i have no clue about this

I onlly have a doublemarked klaas HJ,1 justinuswerk SA,1 RZM SA and a SS now.offcourse i have a couple of germanused daggers(Sturmdolk,Le Vengeur gonon 41) and some bajonets.
The daggers are in NM-M condition

i was thinking of maybe make warm and humindity in a big wood/glas cabinet,good/bad idea?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Paul R.
Association Member

Wood cabinets are not the best storage systems for keeping items in. Open the search tab and check into display cases. Wood cases if painted can out gas fumes that over time damage your daggers. A raw wood case can also draw in to the case humidity. Case liners or also if plastic or cheap foam can out gas as well. Aluminum cases are the best.
If you have other item that you collect it would better to control the room. Paul

WE SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON OUR HOBBY. SPEND A FEW MORE DOLLARS TO PRESERVE HISTORY!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
Jim m

Hello All,
I know this is an old thread, but I had a storage question and thought I'd give it a shot.
This may sound silly as I am new to collecting. Do I want to be storing my daggers out of their scabbards? I'm thinking yes, but opinions would be welcome. Thank you

Old 09-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #20
steve h

i don`t like the padded nylon bags that many use, the interior can`t "breathe". i use the fleecy fabric bags off e-bay. just type 'german dagger storage bags' and they should come up, on UK e-bay btw.

SS and SA honor dagger cases
Old 10-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #21
der-hase-fee

Default SS and SA honor dagger cases

I came across these and thought I'd share a few pictures.

They look great and are very well made - like Swiss clock work