wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Volspolizei Visor Cap Question
Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Bill D.
Forums Moderator

Default Volspolizei Visor Cap Question

Did they ever actually wear a visor cap like this???

Green police cap with a removable white top, but that cloth "Volkspolizei" band on the cap band seems a little unusual to me. Of course, I know very little about DDR material!

Thanks for any information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1510233.JPG (88.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg P1510234.JPG (93.2 KB, 92 views)

Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Bill - sorry to say from what I am looking at the hat has been messed with. The green Volkspolizei word strap appears to be a cuff-title.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Bill D.
Forums Moderator

Thanks, Ralph!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Jan Klaassen

Besides, that cuff title was never actually original in the first place as well. They did use white topped visors on a number of occasions though, so apart from the cuff title that should not be there and the cockade which should be where the cuff title is, it is an original and regulatory cap. They appear to be making these Frankensteins to sell to tourists...

Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
uscob
Association Member

Actually, these Titles were never made as Cuff titles but for Caps.
A guy I knew many Years ago, bought about 55.000 Caps of all MdI Branches bought 250 Kilos of EM Cap Badges from me but before he could buy the Cords, he passed away in the Age of 26.
Officially by Heart attack, but behind the Scenes there are other options said.
As a Coratian, he sold to the Croats and Serbs during the Balkan war.
Attached a Pic from a (everybody knows) Site what shows especially the edges of the Title.
You can see that there is a all side Merrow edging with a Space between the ends of the Title and the white edging of the Writing. That's the place for the Cap Buttons.
So it was allway's planned as a fake to upgrade thousands of Caps in lack of the missing Cap Cord.
Some Years ago I saw a new creation for the Trapo and Prisons Caps.
They cut out the Visor, glued the Sweat Band back in, put a Soviet Tally on, added a Red Star and sold them as Sailors Caps.
Asking what the MdI in the Caps mean, the guy told me it's a German reparation Manufacture what was sent to the Soviet Union for compensation of War Costs. Funny explanation, Story sells.
Bad that so many people believe this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volkspolizei_1.jpg (30.0 KB, 86 views)

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Rev462
Association Member

Nico,

Very interesting information. It's well known that cuff titles (both real and fantasy) have been stuck onto hats to "enhance" them, but I never knew that this thing was made specifically to be used on hats. I would have thought it was merely a fantasy cuff title.

The lengths the shysters go to is amazing sometimes.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev462 View Post
Nico,

Very interesting information. It's well known that cuff titles (both real and fantasy) have been stuck onto hats to "enhance" them, but I never knew that this thing was made specifically to be used on hats. I would have thought it was merely a fantasy cuff title.

The lengths the shysters go to is amazing sometimes.
You're right, that's the only "Title" I know what was made especially for Caps.
The Guy who bought the Caps from the deceased Guy's Parents didn't wanted to pay the Price for the original Cap Cords, actually he offered 10 Pfennings what is about 5 Cents. I had to pay 1.50 Marks for them so even if not a businessman, it was a rediculous offer from that guy so I sold them over the years for a better price. As nobody wanted to sell him Cords for his price, the result was this funny Volkspolizei title.
Another complete Fake is the "Ministerium für Staatssicherheit" one what was made in Cuff title sizes. I even know the Border Guard ones as Fakes, where you can find originals in loads easily.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

This thread has gotten even more interesting. :-)
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
torstenbel
Forum Sponsor

correct, the Volkspolizei and Staatssicherheit cuffbands or even cap bands sold on some sites, as well as ebay and at the well known Berlin tourist locations are all fantasy items and never existed in real life.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Rev462
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
I even know the Border Guard ones as Fakes, where you can find originals in loads easily.
Nico,

Do you mean that someone has actually gone to the effort of faking the "Grenztruppen" cuff title? Now that I don't understand, unless they thought there would be a huge demand, and were ready to fill the need with their fakes.

Regarding the "Staatssicherheit" cuff titles, I heard that the original manufacturer was contracted to make them, again to supply the demand for DDR keepsakes. The quality of the embroidery always looked to be very similar to what was used on originals - such as Engels and NVA - WR.

Do you know If they were the same people who made the fake WR - Dzierzynski General cuff titles? I have one (probably fake - but it was cheap!) and it looks very comparable to the original WR - Dzierzynski cuff titles except done in yellow/gold embroidery of course.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #11
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev462 View Post
Nico,

Do you mean that someone has actually gone to the effort of faking the "Grenztruppen" cuff title? Now that I don't understand, unless they thought there would be a huge demand, and were ready to fill the need with their fakes.

Regarding the "Staatssicherheit" cuff titles, I heard that the original manufacturer was contracted to make them, again to supply the demand for DDR keepsakes. The quality of the embroidery always looked to be very similar to what was used on originals - such as Engels and NVA - WR.

Do you know If they were the same people who made the fake WR - Dzierzynski General cuff titles? I have one (probably fake - but it was cheap!) and it looks very comparable to the original WR - Dzierzynski cuff titles except done in yellow/gold embroidery of course.
I saw border titles with a white backing what is used to reinforce the Fabric in the machine when embroidering. You won't find this on originals.
The Stasi Titles were made by the original Maker as I know, but I can't say if they still exist, and yes, they also made the Generals ones.
Back in the day's I got 3 originals but as the fakes maybe made on the original Machines you can't tell if they're good or not. So I don't buy them these day's as they're mostly overprized, especially for a resale.