wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

MG-42 Oil
Old 01-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Colonelhogan

Default MG-42 Oil

In the P-kasten can you have a can for oil and a can for kerosene to clean. What exactly was the oil they used and what’s the most relatable to today’s lubricants?

Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Bern

Guten Tag Gefreiter Schörner (Soldaten Forum?) The P kasten held a can of Waffen Oel and a can of Petroleum. I don't know the exact type of weapons oil that was used, but F W Klever GmbH still makes Ballistol, a weapon and general purpose oil that was introduced in 1904. It was available during WW2 in glass bottles and the label had words that included Armeeoel, Waffe and Kriege. The Oel (oil) is currently available in aerosol cans and larger bulk containers. Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Bern

Last edited by Bern; 01-22-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
Colonelhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Guten Tag Gefreiter Schörner (Soldaten Forum?) The P kasten held a can of Waffen Oel and a can of Petroleum. I don't know the exact type of weapons oil that was used, but F W Klever GmbH still makes Ballistol, a weapon and general purpose oil that was introduced in 1904. It was available during WW2 in glass bottles and the label had words that included Armeeoel, Waffe and Kriege. The Oel (oil) is currently available in aerosol cans and larger bulk containers. Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Bern
Yeah that’s me, I’ll have to try ballostol, I was trying to find something close to what they would have used, most sources just say an oel.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #4
Bern

If you don't want to go with aerosol or one of the larger containers, then they also have handier 50 ml bottles of the oil and great looking retro (nostalgic) bottles with vintage style labels that closely replicate their early production series. A retro bottle would be a nice item to go along with a weapons display, that is, unless you're actually planning to fill a P kasten for use , then you may have to go with one of the larger 250 ml containers.
Regards
Bern