wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #61
Gordon Craig

Kees,

The "glow-in-the" dark one are the more common type. They usually have a band around the outside of the helmet that glows. Some Feuerwehr companies use markings, short red stripes, on the helmets that indicate rank. Some states used decals with the state emblem on them years ago but these are very rare helmets.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
Berlin1989

Hello!
I first posted these 2 tunics under "DDR", but the friendly people there told me to go to the other side of the wall!
I recently got these 2 tunics in the mail! I was hoping that you could help me ID them!

http://i.imgur.com/3UG7T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NF2mf.jpg

The one with the red/purple something piping looks like feuerwehr to me. No markings, and buttons that are more similiar to the german ww2 version.

The all black tunic seems to be older. ww2-style buttons and the sleeves are lined with white striped fabric. No markings.

Thanks a lot!
// Erik

Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #63
Gordon Craig

Erik,

The piped tunic could be BRD Feuerwehr. I have one very similar but with sewn in boards. The one without piping could also be feuerwehr. Without marking one can not say for sure. It is common for BRD Feuerwehr tunics to have a shielld indetifying which feuerwehr organization they are with. If there was one there to start with it was probably removed when the shoulderboards were removed. I would have alook at the left sleeve of each tunic and see if you can find evidence that there was a sleeve bade there at some point.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #64
chiffonnier

me and a room filled with people all think these are 2 blue tunics.
we see a black lining,but no all black tunic.
although I was wrong with a color in this thread before,I am so sure now that I still wanted to get this off my chest.
2 blue west german tunics.
if I'm wrong again,comments on collor will be never be made ever again.
all the best,
kees

Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #65
Gordon Craig

Kees,

I would agree with you. Last night the first tunic looked black on my screen but today in the daylight it definitely looks blue.

Berlin1989,

Look on the backs of the buttons for makers marks. The most likely marks you will find for BRD tunics are A for Assman and OLC for Overhoff and Company Lunedschied.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #66
Gebirgsjaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebirgsjaeger View Post
I have just received a reply from a curator of the museum of Leipzig and he said that it is almost impossible to distinguish TR feuerwehr cap from GDR except by the insignia that's applied. Unfortunately insignia is missing, we have only the traces in cap band felt... Also, the clue can be the "70 years" (of the production) inscription in combination with the producers name...

I am still awaiting for the answer form the Museum of Weißenfels. Considering the hat was made there, maybe they can give us more precisely answer...
I have just received expected answer from Museum of Weißenfels curator. Does it give someone an idea where we can put the hat, before or after WW2 ?

Here it is:

als erstes möchte ich mich entschuldigen das Sie so lange auf eine Antwort warten mussten. Bei der Mütze handelt es sich mit 98% Sicherheit um eine Schildmütze der Feuerwehr. In dieser Form wurde sie in den 30er bis 40er Jahren getragen. Ob in den Zeitraum davor und danach kann ich nicht sagen. Durch das silberne Mützenkordel dürfte es sich um einen höheren Feuerwehrdienstgrad handeln. Das Geschäft gibt es nachweislich in der Klosterstraße 11 seit 1872. Bis in das Jahr reichen unsere Adressbücher. Das Geschäft gab es seit dem Anfang der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts (ca. 1860-70).

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
Gordon Craig

Gebirgsjaeger,

Their answer, as translated below, seems pretty clear to me. A pre-war feuerwehr cap.

Regards,

Gordon

first I would like to apologize that you had to wait so long for an answer. The CAP is 98% to a baseball cap of the fire brigade. In this form, she were held in the 1930s up 40. Whether in the period before and after I can not say. It should be to a higher level of fire service by the CAP GIMP of silver. The business has been shown there in the Klosterstraße 11 since 1872. Our address books ranging in the year. The business there since the beginning of the second half of the 19th century (CA. 1860-70).

Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #68
Gebirgsjaeger

Thank you very much, Gordon! I understood the message this way also, just needed an opinion from some of the WAF authorities, to confirm this claim or, eventually, to give an argument against it since it was not any in this debate. I was convinced that the hat is pre WW2 when I have obtained it, and as an owner, I would really like to make it clear...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #69
stonemint
Distinguished Contributor

Braunschweig Feuerwehr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg braunschweigfd.jpg (47.6 KB, 224 views)

Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #70
chiffonnier

came across 4 of these identical visors.
one last week and another 3 today.
wartime in my opinion but with postwar badges.
although that Hanover tab is likely wartime reichsbahn.
so a just post war configuration for a railway fireservice guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7954.JPG (221.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7957.JPG (244.0 KB, 223 views)

Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #71
chiffonnier

since two of them were real badly moth eaten,damaged sweat band etc,I decided to strip them for parts.
here is the interior just before removing the hanover horse badge.
you see where the prongs from a wartime feuerschutz badge has been.
agree?
all the best,
Kees
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7950.JPG (209.8 KB, 223 views)

Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #72
Nightwish

Hello!

I am a firebrigade collector (and member) from germany and found this interesting thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemint View Post
Braunschweig Feuerwehr
Nice visor! It is Stadt Braunschweig (City of Brunswick).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonnier View Post
came across 4 of these identical visors.
one last week and another 3 today.
wartime in my opinion but with postwar badges.
although that Hanover tab is likely wartime reichsbahn.
so a just post war configuration for a railway fireservice guy.
Means R.B. Reichsbahn? I thought it is "Regierungsbezirk" (administrativ region). I have two visor with R.B. Hannover and one with R.B. Braunschweig. And I found a lot of those bdges at Firestations far away from any Railroad.

The large badge is for Niedersachsen (lower saxony).

Quote:
you see where the prongs from a wartime feuerschutz badge has been.
agree?
Could there have been an cocarde before? Can't you see any indention from a feuerschutz-badge?

Nightwish

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #73
Nightwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Craig View Post
Kees,

The "glow-in-the" dark one are the more common type. They usually have a band around the outside of the helmet that glows. Some Feuerwehr companies use markings, short red stripes, on the helmets that indicate rank. Some states used decals with the state emblem on them years ago but these are very rare helmets.

Regards,

Gordon
The red stripes indicates not the rank, but the 'position' (Don't know the correct word in english!). For example it indicates the commanding officer of ones municipality- or tactical-unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin1989 View Post
Hello!
I first posted these 2 tunics under "DDR", but the friendly people there told me to go to the other side of the wall!
I recently got these 2 tunics in the mail! I was hoping that you could help me ID them!

http://i.imgur.com/3UG7T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NF2mf.jpg

The one with the red/purple something piping looks like feuerwehr to me. No markings, and buttons that are more similiar to the german ww2 version.

The all black tunic seems to be older. ww2-style buttons and the sleeves are lined with white striped fabric. No markings.

Thanks a lot!
// Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Craig View Post
Erik,

The piped tunic could be BRD Feuerwehr. I have one very similar but with sewn in boards. The one without piping could also be feuerwehr. Without marking one can not say for sure. It is common for BRD Feuerwehr tunics to have a shielld indetifying which feuerwehr organization they are with. If there was one there to start with it was probably removed when the shoulderboards were removed. I would have alook at the left sleeve of each tunic and see if you can find evidence that there was a sleeve bade there at some point.

Regards,

Gordon
The shields are no generell standard in germany. You'll find them on jackets of city-firebrigades or superordinated fireunits but less on smaller villages jackets.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #74
chiffonnier

Nightwish;
reason for me thinking it's a reichsbahn badge is that I saw some similar ones for other towns for sale advertised as reichsbahn.
can't find those anymore.
don't know how that type of badge is called in German.
thought it was;banderole.
but no banderole for a schirmmutze on the net now.
maybe another search term could bring them up.
the badge that was on it before left no imprint on the capband on any of the 4 visors.
there have been at least 2 alterations with badges judging from the 2 sets of holes in the inside view.
that goes for all 4.
looks like the small set of holes that are ca 1cm apart could have been a kokarde.
the other 2 wider apart could be for wartime feuerschutz .
a lot of guessing for me.
any thoughts on what period these visors are from?
all the best,
Kees

Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #75
Nightwish

I am not shure, but I remember some post-war (late 40's) pictures of village-firebrigades, wearing such an 'banderole'. I will look for them!

Thea are realy rare on the net! I looked for such pieces a long time ago.

The visors, I think, are pre-war pieces. Possibly before 1934. Before that time in germany two cocards had to be on the visors. Later one changed with the eagel.