wehrmacht awards

Old 04-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #61
John Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
"Aviso Grille", as you know, was the ship chosen by Hitler for his trips on the sea. Some people have told that this was the Hitler´s yatch, not correct at all, and actually the Führer prefer the mountais, and don´t used a lot his boat.
No doubt, this is the rarest in my collection. As the boat is quite small and for security reasons the crew was almost unchanged during Third Reich years, not many sailors worn this, and when some of these tallys come to the market prices are very hight, as it must be.
This one came to my collection sewn to a sailor´s pillow, with the Kreuzer Endem and Kriegsmarine tallies. This kind of pillows were very used in those times. The sailors used to sew in a pillow the tallys with the names of the ships were they sailed as a souvenir. More veteran = more tallies = most prestige.
My Graf Spee tally came in one of these pillows too.
Regards
Greg
Greg,

Pillowcase attached. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2961042.jpg (49.3 KB, 604 views)

Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #62
John Robinson

Cotton reverse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0012.jpg (122.2 KB, 597 views)

Eugen tally
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #63
John Robinson

Default Eugen tally

Here is an expanded view of the above Prinz Eugen tally. You can see here more clearly that it is of cellon, artifical cotton. It looks a bit like gold wire in the image above, but it is cellon.

Attached. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dani.jpg (83.1 KB, 594 views)

Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #64
Gregorio Torres

Hi again
Nice and interesting posts here.
John, I like a lot this pillow. Main part of them have captallys only. I´d like to hear the storys from this pillow if it can talk, specially if it made the famous big war cruise with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.
I´m now waiting for a nice lot: the civil tally "Monte Pascoal" with a Blockade runner badge. Both belonged to the same sailor. This boat was in South America when war began and will go back to germany despite of the allies fleets. Unfortunately no other items were available, and I just know the sailor´s name. When the lot arrived I´ll post a pic for you.
Regards
Greg

Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #65
John Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
Hi again
Nice and interesting posts here.
John, I like a lot this pillow. Main part of them have captallys only. I´d like to hear the storys from this pillow if it can talk, specially if it made the famous big war cruise with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.
I´m now waiting for a nice lot: the civil tally "Monte Pascoal" with a Blockade runner badge. Both belonged to the same sailor. This boat was in South America when war began and will go back to germany despite of the allies fleets. Unfortunately no other items were available, and I just know the sailor´s name. When the lot arrived I´ll post a pic for you.
Regards
Greg
That would be very interesting. In regards to Aviso Grille, yes, this is a difficult one to find. It shows up once every 18 months I would say if you are searching all the time.

WWI pillowcase, sorry for the bad photo. It was an ebay offer that I lost so just have this image. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f6bd_1_b.jpg (133.6 KB, 591 views)

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #66
John Robinson

I have a few removed pillowcase tallies. You can tell if they were pillowcase tallies by the little dots top and bottom on the tally itself. You would not notice this until you got it if not revealed by the seller. Note how large I had to expand the image for the dots to be seen. On the other hand, I sort of like them since it shows that it once belonged to a sailor.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pillow4.jpg (131.7 KB, 574 views)

Last edited by John Robinson; 12-10-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #67
John Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
I guess another Question now is how are these Tallies (Originals) actually made, stitched ect...

I'm not sure if anyone has any further information regarding this?
On a special machine. John

Prinz Eugen Talley
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #68
Kondor
Association Member

Default Prinz Eugen Talley

John,

Thank you very much for the additional postings of the back of this Cellon Talley. It confirms that I have an original!!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #69
pantherv

Thumbs up

Just thought I'd say what a great thread this has turned out to be...coincided nicely with my first 2 Tally's.
Cheers guys....

KR...Peter

Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #70
MauserKar98k

Here are some pics of Kondor's cellon Prinz Eugen cap tally. As can be seen, it is a cut example.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #71
John Robinson

Yes, it is cut, but not for a scrapbook or display. It was cut most probably by a senior petty officer who caught this sailor trying to wear the tally too long. The sailors liked the full length sweeping tally, around 150 cm, but the regulations were for it to only come down to the top of the collar.

If the senior petty officer was inspecting you, say before going on liberty, discovered the long tally, he would snip off the ends to collar length.

The snipped ends were retrieved by the sailor and sewn back on. Therefore, you see these types of tallies not infrequently.

My take, Kondor's tally is a worn period tally, ends cut off during an inspection and reattached.

John

FINALLY, Zerstorer Paul Jacobi is in my harbour :)
Old 05-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #72
JustinG
Association Member

Default FINALLY, Zerstorer Paul Jacobi is in my harbour :)

BTW.

Huck's Paul Jacobi tally is now mine, thanks to a deal we made.
Hope you enjoy the Soldbuch!

Regards,
2dresq907

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #73
JustinG
Association Member

Here's my destroyer group scan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan of medals 020.jpg (20.4 KB, 577 views)

Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #74
JustinG
Association Member

backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan of medals 021.jpg (21.7 KB, 574 views)

Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 AM   #75
Gregorio Torres

As I promised here you have my new adquisition.
Monte Pascoal was a transatlantic cruiser of the Hamburg-Südamerikanische line. She was in Buenos Aires when the war began and have to sail to Germany across an ocean controlled by the enemy navys. All crew menbers were awarded later with the Blockade runner badge. The ship was in Wilhelmshaven as a barrack ship of the Kriegsmarine from 1940 and in 1944 was hitted and sunk in the dock during an air attack. In 1945 the ship was refloated by the brithish. Severely damaged to sail again, the remains of Monte Pascoal was loaded with obsolete chemical munitions and sunk in the Skagerrak in late 1945.
Regads
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pascoal.JPG (208.7 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by Gregorio Torres; 05-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Closed Thread