wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

What are the Imperial collection essentials?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Forssmann
Association Member

Default What are the Imperial collection essentials?

I've been collecting Imperial for a few years now, but I dont have a specific area of focus, I always like to keep things fresh and maintain variety.

What do some of you consider to be essential to an Imperial collection?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
pauke
Association Member

First and foremost good reference books, EK 1+2 and some shoulder boards or straps with fancy ciphers for a start.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
gregM
Association Member

You'll get more enjoyment by collecting what interests you. That does not
mean it has to be the same as what others here collect. In my own case,
I collect single Eks and Imperial miniatures. While others also have medal bars
and wound badges and shoulder boards. They just do not interest me as much.

I was addicted to the Hokey-Pokey, but I turned myself around.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Heran
Association Member

I love collecting Imperial Medal Bars, but not the most common ones, but those with a non common combination. It gives you the chance to invest more time to make some research and studies. It makes also my collection morr personal and different as other collections. But tha is the essential Thing, the research.

See attached a couple of pics of my collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190706_134814-921x691.jpg (139.0 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190706_135134-921x664.jpg (165.2 KB, 272 views)

Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Mike H
Association Member

Default ....

Pickelhauben, of course. Emblematic of the Imperial period.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickelhaube - baden officer pioniere #20.jpg (90.2 KB, 271 views)

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Forssmann
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heran View Post
I love collecting Imperial Medal Bars, but not the most common ones, but those with a non common combination. It gives you the chance to invest more time to make some research and studies. It makes also my collection morr personal and different as other collections. But tha is the essential Thing, the research.

See attached a couple of pics of my collection
I enjoy the research into items as well. Its almost therapeutic.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Dansson
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregM View Post
You'll get more enjoyment by collecting what interests you. That does not
mean it has to be the same as what others here collect.
I think Greg has said what really matters.
Some collect porcelain with Imperial motives, documents of various types, insignia, clothing, equipment, awards or something else.
Whatever what interests you, however a focused collection is the best option nevertheless.

Most importantly, don't forget the books and (your) research about the era. That gives the colour to our collection.

Searching for memories from our darkest days.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
VtwinVince
Association Member

Imperial material is a vast spectrum, so I narrow it down to the kingdoms of Saxony and Prussia, due to family connections with these places.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Collecting Imperial is something very different from collecting TR. TR is very much standardised. When one compares any category of militaria: medals, uniforms, caps, shoulder boards, anything - Imperial is much more varied. Therefore if you want any depth in Imperial you have to specialize - unless you have both infinite money and display space. If you like variety but also want depth, pick a geographic area: the smaller the less expensive it will be to 'complete' your collection - much less items need to be acquired if one f.e. collects Hessen instead of the whole of Prussia.

You can also limit your collecting goals by choosing a specific timeframe: this usually means darkblue or fieldgrey. The former overall being cheaper than the latter.

And then there are those that just like one category of militaria: uniforms, headgear, steins and so on or even more specific EK variants. Any of those can be pursued a lifetime.

If you want to limit costs, collect period photographs and post cards.

The possibilities are endless. It is a really worthwhile field of collecting and so much richer than militaria of a later period and just so much more pleasant to collect than anything with a Swastika and way nicer to display.

Imperial forever!

Cheers, Tom

Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
Forssmann
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
Therefore if you want any depth in Imperial you have to specialize - unless you have both infinite money and display space. If you like variety but also want depth, pick a geographic area: the smaller the less expensive it will be to 'complete' your collection - much less items need to be acquired if one f.e. collects Hessen instead of the whole of Prussia.

Cheers, Tom
Specializing Is something I've been thinking about lately. While I wouldn't say it's been my main focus, I have been collecting more guns lately than other pieces.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Ferg 1

When I first started getting interested in Imperial German i bought medals and badges from all the states , I soon realised it was too bigger subject to cover in one life time ! So now I focus on aviation alone .....well almost .
Ferg

Old 07-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
jt327gir
Association Member

I started off my Imperial collecting with EK2 and EK1 and the Prussian medals from the 1866 war with Austria. For the last two years, I've gotten into collecting veteran association badges and coronation coins and medals. Even more recently, I've begun collecting the German state equivalents (roughly) of the Prussian EK2.

Basically, I collect what interests me.
WAF Association Member #17483 - OVMS Member #10077 -
Collecting Iron Crosses 1st and 2nd Class -- 1914/1939/1957.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #13
ROBB
Association Member

Camo helmet, sawback bayonet, picklehaube,EK1,gas mask. I prefer stuff picked up from the Somme and bought home, rather mint items or dress items. Rob

Old 07-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
ROBB
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB View Post
Camo helmet, sawback bayonet, picklehaube,EK1,gas mask. I prefer stuff picked up from the Somme and bought home, rather mint items or dress items. Rob
sunny day so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120082.jpg (184.0 KB, 181 views)

Old 07-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
JasonA
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
Collecting Imperial is something very different from collecting TR. TR is very much standardised. When one compares any category of militaria: medals, uniforms, caps, shoulder boards, anything - Imperial is much more varied. Therefore if you want any depth in Imperial you have to specialize - unless you have both infinite money and display space. If you like variety but also want depth, pick a geographic area: the smaller the less expensive it will be to 'complete' your collection - much less items need to be acquired if one f.e. collects Hessen instead of the whole of Prussia.

You can also limit your collecting goals by choosing a specific timeframe: this usually means darkblue or fieldgrey. The former overall being cheaper than the latter.

And then there are those that just like one category of militaria: uniforms, headgear, steins and so on or even more specific EK variants. Any of those can be pursued a lifetime.

If you want to limit costs, collect period photographs and post cards.

The possibilities are endless. It is a really worthwhile field of collecting and so much richer than militaria of a later period and just so much more pleasant to collect than anything with a Swastika and way nicer to display.

Imperial forever!

Cheers, Tom
Great advice here.

I’d contribute by reiterating that having as narrow a focus as possible is the always the best way to go. This allows you to have a deeper and more complete collection of a specific theme or concentration. It helps with you with your knowledge base - you can’t know everything about everything. It also helps with affordability - most of us have finite slush funds for this hobby in one way or another.

Having a focused collection also tells a better story and is more visually appealing when on display.

But what sort of focus? That’s what you’ll need to reflect on. As others have said, you really should collect what you enjoy most and will bring you the most satisfaction.

To me there’s no other way of doing things.

J-