wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Living History Forum

Living History Forum Discussions of battlefield sites, reenacting, veteran news, and all "current" historical events.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
Snarka

Thank you!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #32
Jochen S.

June 22nd 1976 was a tough day for Peiper. On that day the paper L'Humanité published an article called 'Qui protège les criminels du Guerre?' about him at Traves. During the morning-hours Peiper was questioned by the French police which lasted for serveral hours.

French Journalist A. Moissé called him twice and finally Peiper granted him an interview. In the evening-sun the interview lasted more than one hour. Peiper freely answered all questions and gave permission to photographer Marc Paygnard to make a few shots. Peiper seemed to be relaxed although Moissé felt a bit tension in his appearance.

Was he worried after all? Not only the events of this day, but also of the last years, truly exchausted Peiper who later that evening wrote a letter of goodbye to his wife Sigurd.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #33
Snarka

Thank you very much for this story and for the interrogation transcript!! This is very valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen S. View Post
Peiper who later that evening wrote a letter of goodbye to his wife Sigurd.
Oh. It was written as early as then! And he stored it all those weeks and stayed in this house... Despair and hope. He had no means to fight, but refused to give up. "When you have your back to the wall, you can only fall forward." Such a pity, that it all ended just when he, as seems from Agte's book, already decided to move from France.

It is a terribly sad story, and every new detail makes it even more sad.

Sorry for a too emotional post...

Last edited by Snarka; 04-20-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #34
Jochen S.

It's only the first page of the 3 pg. transcript which shows the date of June 22nd 1976. Don't be too emotional about it. Ofcourse it was/is a tragedy for Peiper, family and friends but the man was no saint.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
Snarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen S. View Post
It's only the first page of the 3 pg. transcript which shows the date of June 22nd 1976. Don't be too emotional about it. Ofcourse it was/is a tragedy for Peiper, family and friends but the man was no saint.
I didn't say he was a saint. But I think that for his crimes he already payed. Also, I am no judge to decide who is good, who is bad. Give me a tank regiment, and see how nice I do! : ))) or even a squad (how lucky that nobody ever trust me with such a responsibility).

Hope this thread won't turn into another of many hundreds of internet 'holywars' about Peiper! Showing emotions is always a mistake and harms the normal talk. Also, my English is not too good, and all I say looks too crude, another reason to keep emotions to myself. I apologize, and in the future I will try not to interrupt a calm sharing of info (if anybody would share).

Last edited by Snarka; 04-20-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #36
Jochen S.

You don't have to apologize. Your english is just fine and please do comment on how you feel about the matter. I also hope this thread will be about facts and sharing information on Peiper at Traves and in general.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #37
mr bridger

You have a better command of the English language than some of the people were born and bred in the UK.

And I for one have found this thread very interesting.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
Snarka

Jochen S., mr bridger, thank you : )

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #39
mdj
Association Member

Jochen,

Do you have any info about the current owner of the Ketelhut property??

I guess Ketelhut passed away.

Martin

Suum cuique

Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #40
Graham G

Great thread. I will go there this year or the next, I really want to see the remains...of the house I mean, not peiper

Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #41
Pierre
Association Member

I remember very well all of this I was in holidays on the countryside. I was not even 10 years old but this murder of a warrior by a bunch of punk$ shocked me. During the week following the murder I've bought all the newspapers with informations concerning Jochen Peiper and I still have them. The commie$ who did this are probably the kick which pushed me to get in touch with so many Waffen SS officers from almost all the western countries. Perhaps I should thank them for all these travels through Europe and the past... Well, I don't think so...

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000760.jpg (160.8 KB, 696 views)

Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #42
PANZERPIONIERE

Excellent information, thank you Steve

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #43
Danny Crawford

Excellent thread with photos I've never seen before. Heer Peiper was was no saint by any means, and will be judged by forces greater then our own.... And please gentlemen of the WAF.....we are ALL better people and above the bickering earlier on in the thread..... Many thanks for the unique photos.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
Snarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I remember very well all of this I was in holidays on the countryside. I was not even 10 years old but this murder of a warrior by a bunch of punk$ shocked me. During the week following the murder I've bought all the newspapers with informations concerning Jochen Peiper and I still have them. The commie$ who did this are probably the kick which pushed me to get in touch with so many Waffen SS officers from almost all the western countries. Perhaps I should thank them for all these travels through Europe and the past... Well, I don't think so...

Pierre
Dear Pierre, thank you very much for telling how it was for you. And for sharing the view of your collection! I see here one image which, as far as I know, has never before been on the net in any form (here I cut it out, it must be from "France Soir"):

Pity it is not very clear, but lots of thanks anyway!

Here is a photo I've found today at Granger, people are reading one of "your" newspapers:
http://www.granger.com/results.asp?i...&image=0141933

FRANCE SOIR. Journalists in court of Elysee palace in Paris on july 15, 1976 : a man is reading paper France Soir (about death of Joachim Peiper). Full credit: AGIP - Rue des Archives / The Granger Collection. Image No. 0141933

Last edited by Snarka; 05-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #45
PAUL.H

great thread , thanks for posting...pavel