wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #211
Monarch 10EE
Association Member

These last 3 items are lit with just a lamp from the side.
Not as good as natural light.

Insignia - 1933 front.....1934 back

Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #212
Regen
Association Member

Dear Monarch10EE,
Many thanks for this Useful and very Interesting thread
Many thanks to your Father for his heroism and he hobby!
I taking off a hat.
Best Regards, Re.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #213
pete

Default .

While we are part of Canada now, my ww2 family members were in the British Forces, RN, RA, RAF. The only single thing that remains is a yellow navy eagle from a pilot shot down and captured and there were lugers although they were sold off way back for booze by one of my uncles. You really have a lot here of various types of items!

Best Regards,

Pete

Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #214
TomH
Association Member

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this Monarch 10EE - it's threads like this that are few and far between that keep the forum alive and interesting.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #215
johann mor

Fantastic thread Monarch 10EE and thanks for sharing your treasures. Its a shame that we can't have more threads like it.

Jon

Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #216
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch 10EE View Post
Felix, I don't blame you.
I probably wouldn't read all the text either.
A few things: first of all, I applaud your cool head and comportment here. Many would blow their stacks in your place.
Second: Thanks for sharing all of this...wow, what a stash. Very enjoyable to see these pieces.
Lastly,
Best of luck with whatever you do decide to do with these items.
And hats off to your Father for his service.
Best,
Eric

Helmet
Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #217
Monarch 10EE
Association Member

Default Helmet

Thanks Eric.

To all, I posted the helmet over in the helmet forum because it was never really discussed here.
That's about where this thread went sideways.
And there are developments with the helmet.
So if you want to follow along with this saga, here's the link.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=906113

Helmet
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #218
JohnnyA

Default Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch 10EE View Post
Thanks Eric.

To all, I posted the helmet over in the helmet forum because it was never really discussed here.
That's about where this thread went sideways.
And there are developments with the helmet.
So if you want to follow along with this saga, here's the link.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=906113
Hello JW,
How do explain the developments with the helmet???

Old 03-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #219
Stepdale
Association Member

Hi JW,
The two photos you showed are from the former Sudetenland in what is today the Czech Republic. I agree with the two other posters about what they represent. The bunker photo was printed by a photo studio in Prachatice, the graffiti on the bunker was most likely painted by a (then) Czechoslovakian soldier and says " "Don't give ourselves (up)" or "Don't surrender." The photo of the inn in Prachatice, in my lousy German, I would translate as "Inn of the Black Bear." Before the German linguists pounce on me, I believe "zum" literally translates as "to the," but for me it always worked better in my south Alabama brain to see it as "of the."

The bunker and inn photos were most likely taken on or shortly after 1 October 1938, when the Germans occupied the Sudetenland after being forced to accept the Munich Agreement. The original owner of the photos is most likely, though not definitely, the civilian shown on top of the bunker. Though he could be Czech, it is more likely that he was an ethnic German living in the Sudetenland and took the pictures to show the history of the German military coming in to unite the Sudetenland into Germany. Again, pure speculation, he could be a Czech that was just taking some photos of the German occupation.

These are, IMO, private photographs. Many private photos of the time were printed this way to be sent as postcards. If they were commercial postcards, they would usually have a description of the photo and/or a copyright type marking on the reverse.

I applaud your coolness in this thread; I probably would have lost my cool after the first accusations of being a scammer. Third Reich collecting is and has always been fraught with fraud and forgery so long time collectors are right to be wary, especially if they, like all collectors, have been burned a few times. But IMO several of the posts here were beyond acceptable, but at least they acknowledged their mistakes and moved back into evaluating the items. It seems the pennant thread went in a much more gentlemanly manner.

As a veteran of OIF who brought home all of the in country made US patches I could get my hands on, I applaud your father for bringing home items he found interesting. Having said that, I have bought groupings from veterans and their families that included post war repros, so you are wise to post items in their respective forums for reviews. But so far, all I see looks original, though I in no way claim to be an expert on SS insignia. Sorry the helmet turned out to have problems, but what happened to it is still part of your family history and has personal value just for that.

From your description, your Dad did what he was supposed to do, which was to do his job as a soldier in whatever specialty he served. You have every right to be proud of his service, but should you in future decide to sell these German items, don't feel guilty. I once bought a spectacular Border War/WW1 grouping from the niece of the vet, and when I asked her if she was sure she wanted to sell it, she said, "I wasn't born yet when he served in the military so I have no memories of that time. I loved my Uncle very much, though, and I have fond memories of my times with him when he was alive, so I don't need his stuff to keep those memories alive."

Dale

Last edited by Stepdale; 03-28-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #220
Monarch 10EE
Association Member

I'm going to add this link about the metal fender pennant too. It should make things easier to find.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=905024

Thanks Stepdale, for an informative post.

Last edited by Monarch 10EE; 03-28-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #221
Monarch 10EE
Association Member

After going through more boxes I have stored, I think I can fill in a little more about my father's service. I found a book I was looking for but hadn't seen for a while.
It's about the 180th Infantry Regiment of the 45th Division of which he was a member. His name and picture are in it with his platoon.
The 157th Infantry of the 45th was the regiment that were the first to enter Dachau. The 180th was taking Munich.
In the pages shown below they write, "Munich did not offer too great resistance. With the exception of the fanatical resistance offered by SS troops at the SS college, Munich defenders fell quickly."

Google maps says Dachau is 13.2 miles from Munich.

Family lore probably always nudges up the reality of a members story.
Unless my father was on loan to the 157th for some reason, he probably wasn't one of the first Americans liberating Dachau.
But he certainly could have been there a short time after.

I'm wondering if some of his SS items could have come from that SS college?
I know there is no answer to that question, I'm just thinking out loud.