wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

K98k Bayonet - Novice looking for tips
Old 09-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
P08

Default K98k Bayonet - Novice looking for tips

Hello. Since I'm planning on getting a K98k rifle I'm looking for a bayonet as well. There's a millitaria rally coming up next month where there will be loads of bayonets on offer. I have no experience with edged weapons of WWII so I'm hoping to pick up some buying tips here

I know that K98 bayonets and scabbards are serialed and supposed to match. I also know that not all had bakelite grips, but assume that the wooden grips are rare?

What would you experts recommend me to look for when buying first time?

Makers marks? WaA marks? Other marks? Are the maker/WaA marks usually located in the same place or were they stamped in random locations?

Any hints are welcome

Old 09-24-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Colorado
Association Member

Buy on condition first. Rebluing, sharpening, blood or other problems kill value.

There are fake K98 bayonets, but not too many and most are the more rare models.

Get one that is in the same date range as the rifle you intend to buy.

Different makers had WaAmt marks in different places, but all are marked somewhere on the bayonet.

If you are looking for a quality investment, always get one with matching numbers.

Yes, wood grips are much less common, and 3 letter code (1941-45 dated) command better prices (in general) that maker marked ones.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
kmh

Hi

Allow me giving you some hints.

First thing to recognize is.
If you would like to match a rifle and a bayonet together you must know the year of manufacturing for either the bayo or the rifle.

Secondly.
When you they have decided a year? Note K98 (84/98) bayonets are numerious in makers, years and executions but anyway some rules can be found.
The so-called III type of 84/98 are made from the late twenties to 1945 with differents grips it comes with wood or bakelite depending of the periode!

Regarding your rarety question there is no beween wood and bakelite! They have equal value with some few exceptions? Bayonets that have been reworked. thats mean a bayonet that originally have been fitted with wood sometime is reworked to bakelite grips. That must be considered a loss of originality to me at least with a lower price.
Wood was used as default for grips on bayonets III type 84/98 from the start in the twenties to ca. 1937 they where abandonet in favour to bakelite until about 1942 for most makers. Thereafter we are facing a total mix between wood and bakelite for most makers the execution delivered to the forces was depending of the supplies of raw materials for bakelite moulding.
This part of the story is a lot more complicated but this is the rough or quick way of explaning.

K98 bayonets was extremly well made during the German quality and stringent manufacturings and handling control lead by the WaA inspectores so not many differencies are found; but during the war some slack seem to be the fact of obvious reasons. But the WaA inspectores made it well done. There is WaA control stamps many places on the bayonet's but again there is variations over time.
Tree major types is found. S/Codes, Full maker name and last tree letter code all three types have transitional periodes.

Try to read my comments in my helpless English and if you need some deeper explanation on a specific topic? Let me know.

Regards
Kim

Last edited by kmh; 09-24-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
P08

Jeff & Kim

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what year K98k I'll get. I've just started shooting with a historic Mauser gun club so I'll take it easy at first. I think I'll aim for a 1939-1943 if I can find a good one though. I want the bayonet to "complete the package" so it doesn't have to be a rare and valuable version, only good condition and original.

I'm not sure if I got this right though: Are the bayonets dated with the year of manufacture? It seems to me that they aren't. The only way to determine the year of manufacture would be the makers codes and variation tell tale signs?

Another additional question: When did they have leather scabbards and when did they have metal scabbards?

Kim,
Så kan vi bare skrive på dansk Det er messen i Herlev 24. okt., som jeg tænker på.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
Colorado
Association Member

The bayonet will be dated on the blade, so it will be easy to tell. The frogs are made from leather and may or may not be marked. Any frog starting after 1942 will likely be RBN 0/..... marked if it is marked at all. Early frogs are almost always marked and pre-war ones generally have aluminum rivets.

A common matching bayonet in very nice condition and frog will cost over $100 now. 3 letter code ones tend to run higher.