wehrmacht awards

Nice Scheer, JustinG
Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #31
Norm F

Default Nice Scheer, JustinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
I think they are different John, its once again the scans that are letting them down but you can see the thread is different in #16, it has the cylinderical lines going around the thread indicative of Cellon.. #17 is the gold thread for sure.. I amybe wrong but I'm seeing 2 different threads for sure...
I don't want to be to critical but Justin really needs to sort this issue of scanning and photography to obtain the best pictures possible. It has improved BUT it should/can be a whole lot better with today's technology. Perhaps a new scanner or camera is in store for christmas???

I quite like JustinG's photo quality on this pic of his Scheer tally reverse. In fact, it's the quality and magnification that creates the confusion by showing the wrapping. I made that exact same mistake in the past, mistaking the wrapped wire look for Cellon.
That Scheer tally sure is a great example.
Best regards,
---Norm

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
JustinG
Association Member

Upon further evaluation. I believe that I made a mistake and John is correct. The Scheer tallies are both the metal thread version. This was made blatently obvious when I got my Deutschland tally out, one of my few cellon tallies out and compared.
I apologize for the mis-representation.

Here is picture of my Deutschland.
I am asking santa for a better scanner and photoshop software.
Regards,
JustinG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0092.jpg (228.2 KB, 91 views)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #33
JustinG
Association Member

Front Cellon version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0089.jpg (234.2 KB, 92 views)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #34
JustinG
Association Member

Here is the full layout of the ribbon. There is a small partial tear in the ribbon but it is pretty far down.
I apologize for the quality of the photo. I will get you the length of the tally when I find my ruler.

Regards,
JustinG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Georg Thiele 002.JPG (93.8 KB, 92 views)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
JustinG
Association Member

Here is a close up of the metal thread of the Georg Thiele.

Regards,
JustinG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0086.jpg (209.0 KB, 92 views)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #36
John Robinson

Now that is a nice tally Justin. John

Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #37
JustinG
Association Member

Here is a redo of my version of the Blucher.

Close up showing B detail. My tally appears that it was an issued or at least was not stored in the paper and stored.

Here's one showing the aging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0008.jpg (184.6 KB, 94 views)

Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #38
JustinG
Association Member

Blucher front.
The tallies especially the Front, depending on the age of the tallies and wear of the tallies, the metal thread tallies definately show the signs of age like a overall dull appearance more so than the cellon tallies.
This was case with one of my Scheer examples. The tally really is darkened and has lost it's lustor.

So here is the Blucher again as another attempt.

Regards,
JustinG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (130.4 KB, 93 views)

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #39
John Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
My tally appears that it was an issued or at least was not stored in the paper and stored. Here's one showing the aging.
Exactly correct Justin. Still, you got that one at a very good price. I also think when you get a scanner for Christmas, it will look a lot better than these images. I can see the golden look peeking through these dark images.

I use a $100 CanoScan 4400F and it is perfect for tallies. The other important component of all this is a decent photo program which usually goes for $300 I think. I use Microsoft Digital Pro 7.0. Not sure what they go for right now though. Maybe less.

You need to be able to crop, re-size, put together (with long tallies where you need to scan in two parts), etc., which makes a photo program essential.

For badge work, I use a camera.

John

Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #40
JustinG
Association Member

Thanks for the tip! I let Santa know. Ha Ha

Regards,
JustinG

Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
Frank K
Association Member

Well thanks guys for the further photo's and explanations. Everything helps

Agreed JustinC, there has been built a nice database but the info is spread on several threads. A combined pinned thread with the info regarding materials, construction etc would be very nice but okay there's some work here. Maybe Santa's listening

Haven't received the Gneisenau yet but will do a scan when it arrives and hopefully.....

Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #42
Frank K
Association Member

Oh btw John, what is it with the loops in post #28? On top of the letter it's NNE on the thread loop.

Usually it's one continous thread so am I missing something here or....?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #43
John Robinson

Quote:
Agreed JustinC, there has been built a nice database but the info is spread on several threads. A combined pinned thread with the info regarding materials, construction etc would be very nice but okay there's some work here. Maybe Santa's listening

Haven't received the Gneisenau yet but will do a scan when it arrives and hopefully
There is a combined thread that covers all this and it is pinned at the top of the KM forum. Most items are spread over numerous threads and it takes a little work with the search function to find the information you desire. It is there since I still need control of that thread to add or delete important information but at some time in the future it may be moved.

It is not desirable to have all information in one thread for many reasons, length of the thread is just one of them.

This forum does not usually condense every thread into one "database" since as we saw with the tally information, it became too long and too difficult to read. Put another way, we do not have one long thread on KM destroyer badges.

If there is information that you feel should be added to the pinned thread, PM me so I can consider adding it or not since that thread is closed.

Meanwhile, your Gneisenau images are anticipated since I am hoping it is a cotton example but not sure from the blurry images on ebay.de.

John

Last edited by John Robinson; 12-11-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #44
John Robinson

OK, we have a discussion to start.

If you look at this image of the same gold wire unissued tally I previously posted, you can see that the top of the loop has a black thread holding it in place. This same black thread can be seen in Justin's cellon example and also in Norm's gold wire Graf Spee. The black holding thread actually makes it look like it is not one connected piece, but it is, the black thread just makes it seem on certain images as if there is a gap there since the tarnished gold wire tally is dark and therefore you can't see it very well unless highly magnified.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghk.jpg (71.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by John Robinson; 12-14-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #45
Frank K
Association Member

Just checked the pinned thread out and can see you've added some info from this thread, thanks. I'm not asking for a database but just agreeing with JustinC that we do have a lot of info collected on tallies here. Sorry if I'm not so clear here.

I follow your concerns but if I should wish for something then it would be a short and sweet thread on construction, materials etc. Santa?

Last edited by John Robinson; 12-14-2009 at 10:31 AM.