wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #46
kammo man

Quote:
Originally Posted by praubal View Post
131 has the wrong engine in it.....that's why it's always smoking
?

They never actually opened the engine up in top gear until FURY,
Thats why it ran so well.

Engine .
Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 AM   #47
nomis

Default Engine .

These comments on the engine running in 131 are very amusing..................and they make me smile.

SF.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:38 AM   #48
Panzerbasics

Quote:
Originally Posted by praubal View Post
Dont be too hard on Aberdeen....Bovington also has major issues...The idiots at museum cut up the original engine to 131..sectioned it... and now 131 has the wrong engine in it.....from a Tiger 2...that's why it's always smoking...undue pressure on drivetrain etc.. and will soon be completely unusable
For your information: The Germans, after introducing the HL230 engine in Tiger E, also made a drawing/manual showing how to convert Tiger E with an HL210 to Tiger E with HL230. There were no changes to the drivetrain.
There were some minor differences beteween Tiger B and Tiger E engines. These were about cooling water piping and fitting the engine in the vehicle. No differences regarding power output.
If an engine has damage beyond repair, then in my opinion, it is better to put it on display than just scrap it.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 AM   #49
praubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis View Post
These comments on the engine running in 131 are very amusing..................and they make me smile.

SF.

K. Wheatcroft told me personally about the engine problem...he has three or more Tiger engines in running order in his collection that I have seen....so I will take his word as gospel on the matter of which engine works in what ever tank.

Also for Bovington to section the original engine well that was madness.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #50
Lloyds
Association Member

Also for Bovington to section the original engine well that was madness.[/QUOTE]

Wasnt the tiger engine sectioned in the early 1950s when the tiger wasnt intended to run just be a static exibit + the engine wasnt a mint undamaged item even then it had been used neglected and abused during post war trials

Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #51
praubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyds View Post
Also for Bovington to section the original engine well that was madness.
Wasnt the tiger engine sectioned in the early 1950s when the tiger wasnt intended to run just be a static exibit + the engine wasnt a mint undamaged item even then it had been used neglected and abused during post war trials[/QUOTE]

I think you are right but it was still very short sighted.

Another example is when they had a rummage sale...by mistake they sold for just a few pounds a petiod Tiger maintainence manual...when they realised their mistake they offered many hundreds for its return..

Old 03-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #52
DonC
Association Member

Now THAT is a rummage sale I would have loved to have been at!

Don

Old 03-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #53
Lloyds
Association Member

I think you are right but it was still very short sighted.

At that time there was little interest in saving German tanks they were still being sent to the scrapyard ( Flicks Panther ) and put on the range as hard targets (several panthers ,stug, PZ4 and another tiger 1 just to name a few) the museum was just a Army sideline in those days

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #54
nomis

Default Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Again................................unless you have actual practical experience in keeping a Tiger 1 running..........................your critical comments and ' name dropping' are irrelevant.

SF.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #55
praubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Again................................unless you have actual practical experience in keeping a Tiger 1 running..........................your critical comments and ' name dropping' are irrelevant.

SF.
You are so. Typical......when Wheatcroft tells you something about a tank you can take it to the bank.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #56
feind-hort-mit

At least the British Army didn't axe the sides off important Panzers..and leave them out in the open..
Just remember this happened in a different time, the army technical dept wanted to know and see how the machines worked, and how they'd been manufactured, there was no thought about putting them on display many years later for gawping geeks..to gawp at.
Now then..why the heck did the Guernsey states decide not to hang on to at least one of the Mirus batterie guns (30.5cm) .. hind site is a marvelous thing
Enjoy your evenings, Ian (feind-hort-mit)

Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #57
atcase
Association Member

When I last spoke to a member of 131 crew their biggest concerned was the wear to the tracks....as they have no spares and none are available off the shelf so`s to speak ...

Old 04-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #58
zundappuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcase View Post
When I last spoke to a member of 131 crew their biggest concerned was the wear to the tracks....as they have no spares and none are available off the shelf so`s to speak ...
Maybe not but new ones can be easily made, witness the tracks on the soon to be running Wheatcroft Panther. However, cost is another issue.

Zundappuk

Old 04-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #59
Höhe 112

War

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcase View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zundappuk View Post
Maybe not but new ones can be easily made, witness the tracks on the soon to be running Wheatcroft Panther. However, cost is another issue.

Zundappuk
It seems that some new links were casted for the Tiger replicate used in the Russian movie "White Tiger" ?

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=548512

Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #60
DonC
Association Member

Here's a good example of "different time, different place": Bovington rescued this Schmalturm from the Panther II off the firing range:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2548.jpg (99.0 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2423.jpg (135.9 KB, 429 views)