wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

M42 Sand Camo for Review
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
robby1
Association Member

Default M42 Sand Camo for Review

I have bought on E-stand this helmet but there is something that disturb me and I ask your opinion. The same day of the arrive of the helmet I have contacted the selle and said that I want to send it back because I do not like it. The seller assure me that the helmet is an untouched helmet from the Italian campaign and 100% original and refuse to take it back. The first strange thing is that the helmet is hand painted in the inside with sand in the paint all over also in the dome. The seller tell me that there are info of this practice also in the factory ( ???). I have showed the helmet to other collectors in my area with a common verdict . I ask you to judge from the pictures and give me your opinion. Here is the link of the helmets on E-stand.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=964492
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_DSCN6900.jpg (132.4 KB, 402 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
robby1
Association Member

On hand the helmet seems very different that from the pictures . The dark shade of the yellow coat is done with black spryed paint with very small dots but not homogeneous, under the sand yellow paint there is no other color but only a rusty shell. Gray under colour only on the rivets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5520 2.jpg (122.0 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6867.jpg (105.5 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6869.jpg (115.5 KB, 394 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
robby1
Association Member

Same in the inside no other colors so the hand paint is the only color and under the paint only rust. Paint i salso very fragile and you can easily remove with nails due that the paint do not fix on the base of rust On the dome there is a coat of paint mixed with sand that someone has try to remove with sandpaper and something that seems dust but it is not dust but paint that simulate dust. So please let me know what do you think about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5508 2.jpg (87.6 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5509 2.jpg (74.9 KB, 390 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
robby1
Association Member

Here are the pictures of the small dots of paint on the otside shell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5515 2.jpg (99.6 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5517 2.jpg (99.1 KB, 387 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
robby1
Association Member

Also the internal view of the helmet with a not omogeneous liner ( too new ) with the conditions of the shell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6883.jpg (116.7 KB, 389 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby1 View Post
Also the internal view of the helmet with a not omogeneous liner ( too new ) with the conditions of the shell.
I am not sure about the helmet but if you read e stand rules the buyer has to take back the helmet in the time allowed unless you messed with the helmet,then it is yours.Please check the rules.

Dennis J

Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Jeff V

Who is the seller? The buyer has 7 days to return the item for any reason.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Deathshead
Association Member

what is the lot nr of the helmet ?
Is there a decal under the paint , should be as it is an ET marked helmet.

With only one photo of the side of the helmet it is not fair to pass judgment. So far I like the camo from this one photo, would love to see good close-ups of the decal area and the other side.

While not the norm rough paint inside can happen. I do have an ET Luftwaffe with a rougher than normal paintjob inside , looks similar than yours.
The dome of mine is without texture and has a dome stamp.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
ROBB
Association Member

Looks ok to me I have seen that sort of interior before . Whos the seller and how much was it ? Rob

Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
robby1
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathshead View Post
what is the lot nr of the helmet ?
Is there a decal under the paint , should be as it is an ET marked helmet.

With only one photo of the side of the helmet it is not fair to pass judgment. So far I like the camo from this one photo, would love to see good close-ups of the decal area and the other side.

While not the norm rough paint inside can happen. I do have an ET Luftwaffe with a rougher than normal paintjob inside , looks similar than yours.
The dome of mine is without texture and has a dome stamp.
Unfortunally the dome , as you can see from a picture , has no stamp readable due to the scratch of rough sand paper and yellowish color to replicate a coat of dust. No visible signs of decal and also batch is not readable under the thick coat of rough paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5508 2.jpg (87.6 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by robby1; 07-12-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Adding another clarification.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
robby1
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB View Post
Looks ok to me I have seen that sort of interior before . Whos the seller and how much was it ? Rob
Sorry but the problem is not the interior but is the complete shell that has been repainted as an old helmet in recent times.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
Luis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB View Post

Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
Chet Sowersby
Lifetime Member

Regardless of wether it's good, bad or indifferent the seller can return it for any reason within seven days.

Chet

Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
fader107
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
Regardless of wether it's good, bad or indifferent the seller can return it for any reason within seven days.

Chet
Exactly

Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Mike70
Association Member

Default .

The helmet in question, M42 camo helmet from the Italian Campaign, is a fabulous piece 100% original from World War Two, a very nice and attractive examplare of the late war in Italy.

I showed this helmet in a thread in March this year and it has been highly appreciated and received a 100% of positive feedbacks.

The helmet has also been evaluated by world famous experts in this field and who represent the summit of knowledge on WW2 German helmets, and it has been judged 100% original and untouched from World War Two.
I can give proof of this anytime.

You can scroll down underneath the photos of the helmet.
The buyer wrote to me that the helmet is "stunning" and he declined my written invitation to meet each-other half-a-way telling me we did not need to meet as "the helmet is equivalent to a bearer cheque" and that he would proceed with a direct purchase at the price that he established and which I accepted and telling me to write to him an email in which I would specify all the points of our personal agreement according to his indications, which I did.
I have fully accomplished with all the points of this agreement.

A few days after receiving the helmet he wrote to me that two collectors to whom he showed the helmet for some deal, would not take it in their collections.
He mistreated me with the accusation of selling to him a completely fake helmet, accusation which is absolutly false, and he has also mistreated the helmet as you can read in this thread.

Therefore I do not have any reason to do anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6480.jpg (117.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6483.jpg (107.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6484.jpg (110.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6488.jpg (112.6 KB, 87 views)