wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Captain Robert Bruce Ricketts--US Civil War
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
ZacharyB
Association Member

Default Captain Robert Bruce Ricketts--US Civil War

Greetings Gents,

I wanted to share this item and I believe this is the proper section in which to do so.

My primary collecting interest in not US Civil War, but I do have quite a sizeable collection of items from that conflict that have come my way over the years. This very nice Outpost and Patrol Duty Manual came to me recently from a contact in the world of antiquarian books.

What makes this one particularly interesting, at least to me, is that it is named and signed to the original owner--Captain R. Bruce Ricketts. Ricketts commanded the 1st Pennsylvania Artillery and it was his battery of guns (among others of course) that met, opposed, and repulsed Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg in a brutal episode of hand-to-hand combat.

For their ferocity in battle, Ricketts' battery acquired the nickname "Battery Hell." It is reported that a Confederate prisoner, upon seeing Ricketts (who was a man of small stature) after the battle ended, exclaimed "And this is the little cuss who commanded Battery Hell?!"

Ricketts saw extensive service during the war and ended the conflict with the rank of Colonel. He died in 1918 at age 79.

This manual is all complete and in excellently preserved condition. I'm quite pleased to have it behind glass hanging on the wall of my library.

Regards,

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain Robert Ricketts Signed Manual 001.JPG (197.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Captain Robert Ricketts Signed Manual 002.JPG (145.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by ZacharyB; 01-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Jeff V

Super cool!