wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

Photoshoot: 2e RPC Suez Canal Crisis 1956
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
cookie

Default Photoshoot: 2e RPC Suez Canal Crisis 1956

The following photos are from a reenactment of the French Army's 2nd Colonial Parachute Regiment (2e Régiment de Parachutistes Coloniaux) during the invasion of the Suez Canal zone on 5th November 1956. As part of operation "Telescope Modified" the French para's, led by Lt. Col. Chateau-Jobert, dropped from French Noratlas transport aircraft onto the estuary opposite Port Said. They advanced along the canal to Port Fouad, where they seized the water treatment works and the town itself.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
t2662075

great Pictures Cookie, shame about the weather on the day. looking forward to the next installment.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
peter monahan

Lots of neat shots but not, IMHO, nearly enough 20 year olds. Most of us older guys - like those pictured - have gotten too smart to voluntarily leap from fully functional aircraft! [big grin]

Seriously, very cool pictures. Where were they shot?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
cookie

Hi Peter,

Strangely enough the three younger guys I had lined up to attend alongside us old dogs all cried off with flu (no stamina). I had enough kit lined up for seven paras. Oh well...

I filmed the shoot in a farmers field just outside Peterborough. Its my catch-all location. Indochina, Algeria, Suez. Not the best substitute for desert but I squeezed it in on the thinnest of excuses. In about four original photos from the Canal drop zone the French paras are walking through dried up long grass. I'd have preferred a hot cloudless day at the seaside but it was just too much logistically for our little band of anciens volontaires.

Cheers for the comments, always welcome.

Mark

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
cookie

Some of the original photos from the outskirts of Port Fouad...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
lew

Excellent work. It's nice to see the kit brought out. Too bad you're not on this side of the pond, as I have enough kit for 4.5 paras, plus semi-automatic rifles.

Sorry about the dig with the semis. Although I'll never see a MAT49 or FM24/29 (or AA52) over here.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
cookie

Hi Lew,

I haven't seen a MAS49 or MAS49/56 over here yet, although Worldwide Arms had a stall at the War & Peace show this summer and had a bunch of FM24/29's. Still waiting for a CR39 though...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
scotty1418
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Hi Lew,

I haven't seen a MAS49 or MAS49/56 over here yet, although Worldwide Arms had a stall at the War & Peace show this summer and had a bunch of FM24/29's. Still waiting for a CR39 though...
Nice job on the pics.

I propose a cultural exchange, you send dummy Mat-49s and we send you 49/56s

It's funny what ends up where. 24/29s and Mat-49s pretty much dont exist over here. 49/56s are everywhere. Even Mas 49's are fairly common.

Scott

Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1418 View Post
Nice job on the pics.

I propose a cultural exchange, you send dummy Mat-49s and we send you 49/56s

It's funny what ends up where. 24/29s and Mat-49s pretty much dont exist over here. 49/56s are everywhere. Even Mas 49's are fairly common.

Scott
Well, the Syrian ones are easy to find. I've seen more MAS-44's than French -49's.

We can even send them the wonderful .308 49/56's. There's don't need to shoot.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
cookie

That is weird. We had a load of trashy MAT-49's imported from South Africa and Angola two years ago. There were also a load of FM24/29's from there as well. Most of it was junk, rusty, bent, bits missing. The guy that imported them (Falcon Arms) sold them for buttons, but most of them were bought up by other dealers who immediately marked up the prices by several hundred percent. wankers.

Maybe the MAS49's and 49/56's were sent to the USA as they can be owned without deactivating them? As rifles? A MAS 49 would be sweet though...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
peter monahan

Cookie

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean about the originals! Obviously, not every 'desert' country is one giant sand dune! I lived in a 'semi-arid' area [northern Nigeria] for 2 years and never saw a sand dune myself.

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Peter

Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Maybe the MAS49's and 49/56's were sent to the USA as they can be owned without deactivating them? As rifles? A MAS 49 would be sweet though...
Aside from the Syrian order, France never released the MAS semi autos to any country but the US, when they were surplused. So, most of them are in great shape.

I saw that about that batch of imports. I wouldn't have touched those with a ten foot pole.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
MarkVolkJr

Fantastic pics, cookie! I love seeing what you guys come up with.

Yeah, the differences in the surplus market are always interesting. The few MAT-49s that are here are all battered Vietnam trophy guns, and more than a few of them were converted to 7.62x25 by the VC. Looks like CR 39s are rare both here and there - no more than a handful of those in the US.

Syrian 49's are uncommon here (approaching rare - something like 3k imported in a couple different batches) but won't pass for a French rifle as they have the bayonet. The French '49s are very difficult to find, as only 265 of those were ever imported.

While we're on the subject of those, look what I just received yesterday...

From what I can tell, this one was made in '51. I'm in the process of putting together a 1953 Dien Bien Phu impression to go along with it.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
cookie

Cheers, and thats a very nice example. I'm jealous. One day I will complete my MAS collection, one day...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
lew

Are CR39's common in France and/or Europe? There were a good number produced, so where'd they all go? And yes, I really want one.