wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #121
hochiminhtrail

yes i recall that club, it was very hype back in the mid 90s, what are they building instead?

HCMT

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #122
Jack_Frost

Hi HCMT,

This was a couple of years back, maybe 3. The Eden Plaza has 3 exits;

Dong khoi St.
Another overlooking the oval pond where the 2 soldiers staue used to be.
And one opposite the Rex, this one being where QB's used to be. It's either the Entrance or the Western Union was the club. I don't have my photos to hand, but i'll try and dig them out.
I'm sure NTS can help.

JF

Old 11-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #123
nguoi tien su

JF, HCMT,

The Eden block, from Le Thanh Ton to Le Loi, from Nguyen Hue to Dong Khoi is about to be destroyed. What used to be Vietnam Airlines building has already been levelled, Le Givral, a pastry shop in the 50's, the place of the main explosion depicted in The Quiet American (and that really happened, an act of terrorism perpetrated by Trinh Minh The, the Cao Dai general) has been emptied. Most of the inhabitants are being relocated, despite a harsh opposition.

The Eden had been renovated 3 or 4 years ago, but rumors say that the mafia had managed to find ways to buy the place, a good opportunity to whitewash money from a florishing weapon business.
Vincom company has build the complex facing 22 Gia Long. They want an other complex at the Eden location and to link the two together with a tunnel under Dong Khoi street.

In the 2000's the Queen Bee was not a popular place anymore. If memory serves well, it was located about 50 meters from the WU office, to the left.

I will post more about the Eden soon.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #124
hochiminhtrail

to be honest i allways hated to go to night clubs in SG when they had to close doors by 1 or 2 am, because of strict regulations they had at the time, and sometime the Queen Bee had to close completly because of an anti vice campaign launched by the cops. , just to reopen a few weeks later when the campaign was over.

The night life was not that exiting, comparing to europe.

i just wondered how it was back then on TU DO street, with curfew and stuff like this.

HCMT

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #125
Jack_Frost

NTS, that's an amazing yet sad update. Seriously you're a mine of information. Le Loi street that's the road I was thinking of. I thought Le Givral was one of those places that would never get Bulldozed, quite shocking really. I have a Picture of Eden opening, I believe around Tet 2007.

Look forward to your posts.

JF

Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #126
Jack_Frost

Hi All,

I did a search on YT regarding Givral's;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zyD5dVrL0

Oh it's a great pity.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #127
nguoi tien su

Jack,

Here is the Givral and the Eden block in october 2010.

And the same place by Life :

The place is very dear to me.

It is part of the very heart of Saigon, between the Rex Hotel, The Continental and the Caravelle, but also the Opera House (that was the Parlement during the war).

It 1952, Trinh Minh The (Cao Dai officier, then Cao Dai General and the first one to join Ngo Dinh Diem) ploted a terrorist attack at the very corner of the building in Le Givral. And he had also a car explosion just across the place, from were I shot the photo. That is well depicted in Graham Green's novel.

But the place is vey important also because in 1973, the NVA had their representation on the 1st or second floor ! And they remained there until the fall of the city... No wonder the NVA had reliable input...

I visited an apartment on the 5th floor, visible on the right of the photo. But it was way to noisy ! And nothing had changed since the 60's... Exciting for the collection, but not for the every day life !

If you remember the first scene in Apocalypse Now, the "fan scene", this is were it was ment to be. And this is really realistic... The view aross the street in the movie is strait on the Parliament, festooned with flags. The view from the aparment was the same angle. Thrilling !

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #128
Gil Burket

Thanks for the tour. I am probably not the only one who's image of Vietnam is frozen by what we saw in newsreels from the 1960's. Of course the country is much different today, as is all of Asia.

I hope to visit one day, although I doubt I could find half of these places on my own.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #129
nguoi tien su

Let's start this new year with something soft for a change !

Photo taken inside the citadel (my guess is around 1972)

Et les mêmes canons en 2009 :

Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #130
nguoi tien su

Here are some shots of the Cham Museum in Da Nang. This is the most important museum about the Cham ethnic group. It has been created in 1919 by the École Française d'Extrême Orient (EFEO).

The caption says 1970, but it looks much earlier (1963 maybe).

The museum is a must !

Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #131
nguoi tien su

Le Thanh Ton street, 30th Avril 1975. The street in front of the town hall.

Same place in Oct 2010.

Last edited by nguoi tien su; 01-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #132
nguoi tien su

This one is from the Diamond bar, on Hai Ba Trung Street. Hai Ba Trung, Tu Do and Pasteur were well known for the exotic bars with their infamous ladies.

Whereas no such bars exist on Pasteur anymore, there are still some on Hai Ba Trung and Dong Khoi (ex Tu Do). Souvenirs, souvenirs !

The cyclo have been replaced by the Xe Om (drivers with motorbikes, litterally to clasp oneself against the motorbike !)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #133
hochiminhtrail

great pictures as usual.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #134
Jack_Frost

Great Photos NTS,

The Narration with your Pics are excellent, I enjoy reading your posts, Happy new year to you & all.

JF

Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #135
Satcong101

Great pictures NTS, love this thread.........but I'd hate to be an Electrician in VN judging by that mass of tangled wires (Top right) in the picture of the Diamond bar