wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

dien bien phu
Old 06-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
skot44panzer

Default dien bien phu

hi, i recently did a photoshoot of operation castor, november 1953
here are some of the photos:

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/euoqqq.jpg[/IMG

i also have a large collection of lizard camo TAP uniforms 1947/52, 53, 54 and 56, which i will post photos of soon.
cheers
skot

Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Patrick Dempsey

Skot,

some wonderful photos! Your photographer has talent.
Where were these taken?

Looking forward to seeing more. Are you and the group at Beltring this year?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
skot44panzer

hi patrick, the photos were taken near peterborough. we are all from different reenactment groups. i am with FJR39/45 WW2 FALLSCHIRMJAGER and the other guys re enact US AIRBORNE, THUNDER FROM HEAVEN. I have collected french lizard camo for a few years now. it was good doing the photoshoot, we are hoping to do another next year. i will be at beltring this year, any excuse to wear the lizard tenue!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
zvezdah1

exc. photos!

Chris

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
skot44panzer

here are a few more:

dien bien phu
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Sgt. Steiner
Association Member

Default dien bien phu

These are the best reenactor photos I ave ever seen, bar none. Exceptional period look with the right uniforms and equipmemty. Way too many reensctor photos do not capture the real look. Looks like a French "Band of Brothers" Outstanding

Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
camerone54

Very nice photos indeed!

For the details... as far as I know, the Para-Brevet was never worn in battle, just for parades, going in town, etc.

Regards

Old 06-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
Beezman

Incredible photos... and they have to be taken by Brits?! Shame on us French reenactors!
I am not an expert of the Indochina period; I will only comment that Mod 50 jump boots would have been better than the M52 buckle boots seen here. But the jump boots are very hard to find, expensive (about 450 euros) and fragile, so I can understand why you elected to wear the buckle boots.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
zvezdah1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerone54 View Post
Very nice photos indeed!

For the details... as far as I know, the Para-Brevet was never worn in battle, just for parades, going in town, etc.

Regards

I seem to recalll a photo of bigeard at dbp with the para brevet, but I could be mistaken, and I believe he was wearing on his shirt.

Chris

Old 06-28-2009, 04:17 AM   #10
zvezdah1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezman View Post
Incredible photos... and they have to be taken by Brits?! Shame on us French reenactors!
I am not an expert of the Indochina period; I will only comment that Mod 50 jump boots would have been better than the M52 buckle boots seen here. But the jump boots are very hard to find, expensive (about 450 euros) and fragile, so I can understand why you elected to wear the buckle boots.
Ditto for the folding stock cr-39 rifles, scarce as rocking horse s**t here in the US> Still hate that I miss one that sold for $800 last year!!

Chris

Old 06-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
skot44panzer

Glad you all like!
i always thought that the para brevet was only worn for parade also, but a 2 REP veteran told me that when he was in algiers they wore it on thier tap jacket to show who they were and proud of it. as in all conflicts over the years, unofficial use of insignia can been seen in a lot of photos.
it would of been nice to have every one in M50 jump boots, but like beezman says..... too expensive and rare to run about in!!!!
cheers

Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Bill Hughes
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvezdah1 View Post
I seem to recalll a photo of bigeard at dbp with the para brevet, but I could be mistaken, and I believe he was wearing on his shirt.

Chris
Just reading Bernard Fall's "Hell In A Very Small Place" The Siege of Dien Bien Phu,great book, have read it several times. Somewhere, I was flipping through but couldn't find it, it mentions the wearing of the red beret, but I believe it was by one of the principal para commanders,it could very well have been Bigeard.

Cheers
Bill

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
zvezdah1

Hell in a very small place is one of my favorite all time books and first sparked my interest in indochina. I've just gotten another book that's been recommended "The Last Valley" by Windrow.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hughes View Post
Just reading Bernard Fall's "Hell In A Very Small Place" The Siege of Dien Bien Phu,great book, have read it several times. Somewhere, I was flipping through but couldn't find it, it mentions the wearing of the red beret, but I believe it was by one of the principal para commanders,it could very well have been Bigeard.

Cheers
Bill

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
VALERY226

Bonjour,
Beautiful pictures and what a lesson for french reenactors after a such work!
However please accept the following friendly criticisms:

•for the next pictures, please don’t use lizzard camo Bigeard’s caps with TAP 47/52 if you want to re-enact DBP or late Indochina fights. In Indochina all the airborne Bns kept their particularities. IE if the 6th BPC (former BCCP) and Bigeard' Bn adopted the famous cap, it was made during the Indochina era with windproof material. During the early years of the Algeria war, the camo caps were the symbol of the 3e RPC (Bigeard’ Regiment) and months after months spread to all the airborne units (except French foreign legion units), elite units or all those who wanted to look like sharp. The early models were made in used lizard camo materials (made from old camo uniforms) or windproof materials (made by 10th airborne division military tailors and privately purchased by officers and NCO’s ). For the windproof version in Algeria, the caps belong to a full set: jacket, trousers and cap and made with mint 3 WP trousers available in huge quantities. In 1958, an official model was adopted by the French army and made in lizard camo later patterns.

•Not all the units who fought in DBP worn 47/52 sets. Here is a quick list of those who used it: 1st and 2nd BEP, GM/35e RALP (mobile group (Bn level) of the 35th Airborne light artillery), 5e BPVN (Vietnamese airborne Bn) and GAP (airborne Group).
II/1e RCP, 6th BPC and 8th BPC did not worn the new sets even if it’s near sure that the men received like the other airborne units.
The 47/52 sets have been adopted on the 5th February 1951 and paratroopers jumped on DBP on the 20th November: less than 10 months to made the uniforms and ship to Indochina, here is a real logistic challenge won by French quartermaster (when they want!)
•You could “photoshop” the star stamped on the MAT 49 trigger, it means that the safety SMG has been modified but after the Indochina war.
•I never seen any photo with airborne wings worn on an airborne jacket during DBP battle. Nobody has seen everything and new pics could appear but at the present time I have serious doubts.
•And last but not the least, you’ve to know that fake MAS 36 CR39’ve been made. Complete folding stocks ‘ve been sold by the French ordnance corps, unfortunately aluminium stocks were broken. A guy bought the lot and few years later re made the aluminium stocks. Basic deactivated MAS 36’ve been disguised in CR39 with wood handguard modified and CR 39 stamped on the left side. Some are currently sold as original!
Really nice pics mates!
Cheers
Valery

Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
kammo man

Good job .
I am doing this impression in a coulpe of weeks at FT MAC .